Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I doubt with us dropping away recently there’s enough interest in NCFC to generate ££ for them; Bailey was always pretty good at the stuff to camera.

But as Monty’s said, revenue, i.e. the number of subscribers interested in a particular club, will be what matters to the owners of The Athletic. If we were in League 3 but had 10,000 subscribers who signed up primarily to read about Norwich City, I’m sure they’d still have a specific Norwich writer. Given by how often they seem to offer cut price subscriptions, I’d say MB is more at risk by the overall popularity of The Athletic. I’m paying £1/month at the moment, even £2.99 or whatever the previous price I’d signed up at was seemed like too much to read the occasional article (sorry MB!).

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

But as Monty’s said, revenue, i.e. the number of subscribers interested in a particular club, will be what matters to the owners of The Athletic. If we were in League 3 but had 10,000 subscribers who signed up primarily to read about Norwich City, I’m sure they’d still have a specific Norwich writer. Given by how often they seem to offer cut price subscriptions, I’d say MB is more at risk by the overall popularity of The Athletic. I’m paying £1/month at the moment, even £2.99 or whatever the previous price I’d signed up at was seemed like too much to read the occasional article (sorry MB!).

Yes - I think we are all saying pretty much the same thing from different angles

Edited by Branston Pickle

53 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Surely we can dig it out!

Can’t be hard to find, it was huge.

It’s one of the Pink Un’s largest threads I understand.

Could you imagine the tilt if he signed now?

On another note, apparently Alan Nixon has a story for us in the Sunday Sun. Usually hits the interweb around 11ish.

11 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Could you imagine the tilt if he signed now?

On another note, apparently Alan Nixon has a story for us in the Sunday Sun. Usually hits the interweb around 11ish.

Scots right back feels most likely ?

28 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Scots right back feels most likely ?

Would sign him and send him back out on loan next season as he’s only 19

Could be us, given our S America link - know v little about him, he’s 29 and looks to have a decent record, but if he’s turned us down it’s irrelevant. Move on.

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The Pink Un now reporting it and also say Max Johnston is unlikely due to Premier League and foreign interest. 

Also - Shane Duffy is only 31?! Christ on a bike he's been around for what seems like forever 

He would be a good addition to the squad.

Wouldn’t say no to him - 119 PL appearances to his name. Will probably want quite high wages but if there’s no transfer fee involved we would probably be able to afford it. Although he has quite a long injury record, he’s never been out for more than 6 weeks

3 minutes ago, fetchyafathersgun said:

Doesnt he play for Fulham signed a few months ago 

Yes - looked at the Brighton squad on Transfermarkt and couldn’t find him, then on Wikipedia I found he was at Fulham

Interesting that Johnston and Mavididi, two players reportedly given the full Colney treatment, weren’t convinced despite having the Ultra TrainHub 3000 at their feet.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Interesting that Johnston and Mavididi, two players reportedly given the full Colney treatment, weren’t convinced despite having the Ultra TrainHub 3000 at their feet.

Players don't really sign to a club because of its facilities. It can be a positive, but the bottom line will be the deal offered.

We are paupers.

5 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

The mavididi one always sounded like nonsense to me given the likely transfer outlay. It’s been reported throughout that Johnson had a lot of prem and European interest. Same to miss out on the Chilean lad though as he looked like one that should have been getable.

Shane Duffy and Ashley Barnes are two very experienced players who have played at the highest level for many years. Very happy with them two as an initial foray into the market but VERY concerned that the chatter seems to be that we don’t want any more forwards. Barnes and Sargent will be fine (although Sargent has 5 goals in 30 games) but Idah is painfully inadequate. I can already see how this plays out. 

1 minute ago, Captain Holt said:

Shane Duffy and Ashley Barnes are two very experienced players who have played at the highest level for many years. Very happy with them two as an initial foray into the market but VERY concerned that the chatter seems to be that we don’t want any more forwards. Barnes and Sargent will be fine (although Sargent has 5 goals in 30 games) but Idah is painfully inadequate. I can already see how this plays out. 

Do wonder how many more goals Sargent could have got if he had been played as our main striker all season rather than having beeen on the wing for most of it..

More than Pukki dare I say?

• Like 1

Think almost more of an issue is adding goals and creativity from midfield. Now Dowell has gone Sara aside nobody adds any goals

5 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Well said sir.

We need a "sniffer," a Jordan Rhodes or an Ernie-type. Fundamental.

But, they cost. Easier said than done.

Now Duffy might be coming on another free, perhaps what funds we have can be used for such a player. Priority = DMF though.

Oh for the disposable money we had even two years ago.

Shane Duffy on a free and he's a central defender with experience. Sounds good. He's maybe not done a full season of late the only niggle.

If people are correct in saying Barnes is going to be our only Forward signing then it's probably because we need to sign players across most positions. I suspect if we manage to get reasonable coverage across the squad we will try to add a cheap or youth player to the front line.

• Like 1