Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do wonder how many more goals Sargent could have got if he had been played as our main striker all season rather than having beeen on the wing for most of it..

More than Pukki dare I say?

Sargent consistently got panned on this forum after his introduction. It was extreme, and one poster n stated that he "was not even a footballer."

Clearly he was nowhere near PL level when signed for that purpose.

I prophesised that he would become a "fan's favourite" in the Chumps. So what, we were playing in the Premier League at the time

A case of the wrong player at the wrong time seems likely.

He has goals in him, and we love the man, but more goals than Teemu. Come on!

33 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Shane Duffy on a free and he's a central defender with experience. Sounds good. He's maybe not done a full season of late the only niggle.

If people are correct in saying Barnes is going to be our only Forward signing then it's probably because we need to sign players across most positions. I suspect if we manage to get reasonable coverage across the squad we will try to add a cheap or youth player to the front line.

So much presumably dependant on how much cash we bring in

15 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

So much presumably dependant on how much cash we bring in

I'd hope any budget they get for players they don't blow it all on this window as something tells me we need to have something in the bank to deal with the next set of flops. No point replacing a whole squad then having nothing to show

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Players don't really sign to a club because of its facilities. It can be a positive, but the bottom line will be the deal offered.

We are paupers.

There’s a load of factors - money is clearly one but so is the level: why come to us if there’s real PL interest, but Johnston apparently was interested in playing abroad and Scotland-to-England isn’t (yet).  We are definitely not paupers at this level. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s a load of factors - money is clearly one but so is the level: why come to us if there’s real PL interest, but Johnston apparently was interested in playing abroad and Scotland-to-England isn’t (yet).  We are definitely not paupers at this level. 

We are at the business end of this level.

When are our club recruitment going to catch on that there's been a few changes in football and there's this newer position evolved called a Central Defensive Midfielder..... they seem to be all the rage with competitive teams these days.... its a phenomena where you employ physical, athletic types who anticipate danger, like to get stuck in and generally screen the defence.    

Can we have some?  

52 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

When are our club recruitment going to catch on that there's been a few changes in football and there's this newer position evolved called a Central Defensive Midfielder..... they seem to be all the rage with competitive teams these days.... its a phenomena where you employ physical, athletic types who anticipate danger, like to get stuck in and generally screen the defence.    

Can we have some?  

The season hasn't even finished in England yet, you sauerkraut. Chill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Can we have some?  

Well we can only sign free agents at the moment and the order we sign players in is never dictated by what position we think we need most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Can we have some?  

Sorry Ashley, we'd like to sign you but we need a defensive midfielder first. You'll have to wait.... 

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well we can only sign free agents at the moment and the order we sign players in is never dictated by what position we think we need most. 

Why. Are we under some transfer embargo ? Duffy would be a good signing. Certainly fitsd in with the thought that we 'give it a good go' while we still have parachute money. Players with experience.

The young scots lad will join a long line of promising youngsters who have joined, then slipped away. However, there have been others who have succeeded, so here's hoping.

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Did anyone watch the recent 17s European Championships? (The matches might be available on iplayer)

He was Scotland's best outfield player.

He's a winger. Fast feet. Good dribbler and fast. He was a standout.

Plus he's from my town.

No but that's interesting. Will take a look if we sign him.

• Like 1

Age is not the main determinant. Plenty of pro footballers are still fit at that age.  It is whether he can deliver it on the pitch. Idah cannot. Not at this level, anyway. We don't yet know who will be playing up front yet. Sargeant might be sold, and Idah allowed a transfers to Blackpool. Giving kids a ride along the beach. Is Tzolis in our plans ?

Look at the goalscorers at Millwall, Coventry, Luton, Did they cost millions upon millions ? Signings from abroad (with a couple of exceptions) have proven poor value for money. How much di Lambert spend ? Time to get realistic and cut our cloth accordingly.

31 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Age is not the main determinant. Plenty of pro footballers are still fit at that age.  It is whether he can deliver it on the pitch. Idah cannot. Not at this level, anyway. We don't yet know who will be playing up front yet. Sargeant might be sold, and Idah allowed a transfers to Blackpool. Giving kids a ride along the beach. Is Tzolis in our plans ?

Look at the goalscorers at Millwall, Coventry, Luton, Did they cost millions upon millions ? Signings from abroad (with a couple of exceptions) have proven poor value for money. How much di Lambert spend ? Time to get realistic and cut our cloth accordingly.

Proven English signings are very expensive. So we have little choice but to take punts on foreign signings and / or English free agents. When you say a couple of exceptions re: Foreign options those exceptions have been benchmarks aka Buendia, Pukki and even Sara. Not every player signed will be a hit nor should there be that expectation, there’s a squad to consider not just the starting 11. We won the 18/19 Champ season with a squad filled with second rate foreign signings… and didn’t do too badly in 20/21 either 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Why. Are we under some transfer embargo ? Duffy would be a good signing. Certainly fitsd in with the thought that we 'give it a good go' while we still have parachute money. Players with experience.

The young scots lad will join a long line of promising youngsters who have joined, then slipped away. However, there have been others who have succeeded, so here's hoping.

As we failed to go straight back up and get our final parachute payment this summer we will effectively be under a bit of a transfer embargo this summer - I think we’re going to see a summer similar to that of 2018

53 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

As we failed to go straight back up and get our final parachute payment this summer we will effectively be under a bit of a transfer embargo this summer - I think we’re going to see a summer similar to that of 2018

That is NOT any transfer embargo, any more than it is for any other club. It just means we have to cut our cloth accordingly, that's all.

12 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Shane Duffy and Ashley Barnes are two very experienced players who have played at the highest level for many years. Very happy with them two as an initial foray into the market but VERY concerned that the chatter seems to be that we don’t want any more forwards. Barnes and Sargent will be fine (although Sargent has 5 goals in 30 games) but Idah is painfully inadequate. I can already see how this plays out. 

I’m not sure who we’d get as a third striker that would be better than Idah. I’m more concerned that Idah just won’t get game time again, at least not up front where he should be.

He’s in a complete catch-22, not good enough to play up front for us regularly but not going to develop until he does.

Hope we can find another striker cheap as backup to let him out because he desperately needs 30 games up top somewhere and has done for years IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Proven English signings are very expensive. So we have little choice but to take punts on foreign signings and / or English free agents. When you say a couple of exceptions re: Foreign options those exceptions have been benchmarks aka Buendia, Pukki and even Sara. Not every player signed will be a hit nor should there be that expectation, there’s a squad to consider not just the starting 11. We won the 18/19 Champ season with a squad filled with second rate foreign signings… and didn’t do too badly in 20/21 either 

Rather a confused and muddled reply you post. Look at the Championship clubs with good strikers. Were they bought from parachute payments. Were they 'proven' when signed ? And we are not 'taking a punt' when signing foreign players now. The players available are limited (due to Brexit) so any we buy are no longer the bargains of 18/19, but those who cost many millions. Which is my point. Rashica, Tzolis and Sergeant were certainly not worth the sums quoted. Nor were loanees such as Norman & Kabak.

I am perfectly aware of the success rate. As my comment regarding the scots youngster signed (?)We won in 18/19without the huge fees of recent. That we won then rather suggests we have wasted an awful lot of money for at most bang average players.-You can put together a squad without the wasteful spending, as clubs above have shown.

21 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Rather a confused and muddled reply you post. Look at the Championship clubs with good strikers. Were they bought from parachute payments. Were they 'proven' when signed ? And we are not 'taking a punt' when signing foreign players now. The players available are limited (due to Brexit) so any we buy are no longer the bargains of 18/19, but those who cost many millions. Which is my point. Rashica, Tzolis and Sergeant were certainly not worth the sums quoted. Nor were loanees such as Norman & Kabak.

I am perfectly aware of the success rate. As my comment regarding the scots youngster signed (?)We won in 18/19without the huge fees of recent. That we won then rather suggests we have wasted an awful lot of money for at most bang average players.-You can put together a squad without the wasteful spending, as clubs above have shown.

How is it confused? You state “signings from abroad (with a couple of exceptions) have proven poor value for money”. So I pointed out that our signings from abroad prior to the 21/22 have actually been decent as well as Sara and Nunez, both require a season of transition. 

Your previous post alluded to the fact that Lambert did well with a squad of majority English misfits. I concur it did. My point, if it wasn’t clear, is that we cannot take that punt now on lower league English players because of expectation, equally we cannot afford proven Prem “has beens” but we can vie for those out of contract. Apologies if I wasn’t literal enough. But I don’t think my previous post was at all confused. 

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well we can only sign free agents at the moment and the order we sign players in is never dictated by what position we think we need most

Mist grateful that you  can be bothered to post this every transfer window Hoggo. Why doesnt it sink in with some people?. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do wonder how many more goals Sargent could have got if he had been played as our main striker all season rather than having beeen on the wing for most of it..

More than Pukki dare I say?

Last time I looked he'd scored 1 in 2 from appearances as a striker. That was around half of his appearances this season.

That worked out to be 20 odd goals if extrapolated over the season.

I think people might be missing the point with Duffy. As things stand we have three, what you can describe as 'senior' centrebacks.

One of those is Hanley and it looks like he'll be out until at least January. If Duffy arrives, he essentially offers that experience and organisation at the back which we lose with Hanley out. Could be quite an astute signing.

Using free transfers to add depth and experience is a good approach in many ways.

Reality is we'll see another centreback in, poss 2 if Omo is sold. Tomkinson is older than Omo and who knows if he's deemed 'ready' or good enough.

Wonder if we're still after that Bolton cb we were linked to last season?

24 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Mist grateful that you  can be bothered to post this every transfer window Hoggo. Why doesnt it sink in with sone people?. 

Same reason why we still need to put up warnings about not having disposable barbeques on open moorland and why we shouldn't really be swimming in reservoirs. Namely, people are fu*king morons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, hogesar said:

I take your point here, that’s fair enough but we needed to fill this position every summer and January window since Farke’s first promotion and the fundamental reason we didn’t progress, haven’t been competitive and are now in decline is because we failed to do so..   

Now however, I (and I would suggest many other fans) have very little confidence or trust in our club’s recruitment capabilities.   Time will tell, but if they don’t prioritise central midfield and we are stuck with same old, same old again, we aren’t likely to rise above where we are right now.   

Another point on recruitment, why is Europe such a no go area for us, yet Burnley signed 10 players from there last summer, and some of them were quite influential.

11 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Am I right in saying that Norwich were interested in buying Lewis Ferguson, when he was at Aberdeen?

I never saw any links, but my other team, Lecce, had Ferguson in the bag last summer for about £2-3m before Bologna swooped in at the last minute. Ferguson has had a great season and is worth five times that now, if not more. One of several young Scottish players to make an impact in Serie A over the last few years, along with Hickey, Doig, and to an extent, Henderson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I take your point here, that’s fair enough but we needed to fill this position every summer and January window since Farke’s first promotion and the fundamental reason we didn’t progress, haven’t been competitive and are now in decline is because we failed to do so..   

Now however, I (and I would suggest many other fans) have very little confidence or trust in our club’s recruitment capabilities.   Time will tell, but if they don’t prioritise central midfield and we are stuck with same old, same old again, we aren’t likely to rise above where we are right now.   

Another point on recruitment, why is Europe such a no go area for us, yet Burnley signed 10 players from there last summer, and some of them were quite influential.

Oh I dont blame you for not having faith in us solving the DM issue because we have failed for several years to do it - although we have tried..

I just don't think it's right to make accusations before the transfer window has even opened. We've taken advantage of some players about to be out of contract but we would have to be very lucky to have a perfect DM available at the same time.

• Like 2