Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

1 minute ago, canarycop said:

This would be a great signing. Cantwell and Dowell wrapped up in one. Good player links play and can score goals. If we get him I forcone will be impressed

He doesn’t score many goals. 

but the rest is accurate - industrious CM that links play well. 

Doesn’t feel likely but who knows - certainly wouldn’t be within the next 48 hours given the season hasn’t ended and the transfer window isn’t open.

4 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

He doesn’t score many goals. 

but the rest is accurate - industrious CM that links play well. 

Didn't say he scored lots but can score. If you look at cantwell's and dowell's scoring records then this lad can be on par

The other thing that doesn't "feel" right - why would Everton let go a player that could be effective in the championship? 

Unless he's out of contract?

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh look a page with just one post. Gee, what a top well known source.

Your just annoyed that Terminally got there first 😉

Looks like his contract expires June according to Transfermarkt, but no news that he will be released. I wouldn't have thought Everton will decide until they know what Division they are in?

19 games in the Premier League 0 goals and 0 assists. Hmm.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks like his contract expires June according to Transfermarkt, but no news that he will be released. I wouldn't have thought Everton will decide until they know what Division they are in?

Forget about the stats. The kids a good footballer. One of those you'd like in your team. Does the work without being noticed much. 

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The other thing that doesn't "feel" right - why would Everton let go a player that could be effective in the championship? 

Unless he's out of contract?

He is out of contract.

Others are going on about whether or not they are waiting to see what division they are in. That suggests he is possibly seen as a bit part player which he appears to have been used as this season anyway. It's also possible that he was shown the facilities etc having been given permission by Everton.

That said, he'd be on half decent wages you would have thought? You'd also think that there would be other premier league suitors, either coming up or who may just scrape through survival and look to a homegrown player to bolster their ranks.

I'm not trusting in this one, it would be a bit of a coup, and I could see if he was being allowed to go, that he would also be one that we would want to announce quickly to get heads turning a bit, and threaten some much needed positivity.

Edit: He's made 19 appearances and played one full game. He's been a sub, coming on off the bench in 15 of those. Subbed off in the other three. That's very much an out of favour player. 

Edited by chicken

Would definetly be a statement signing and suggests we mean business this summer. Very impressed if our first two signings are Barnet and Davies. Quality additions at Championship level.

4 hours ago, canarycop said:

Forget about the stats. The kids a good footballer. One of those you'd like in your team. Does the work without being noticed much. 

My wife's side of the family are all Evertonians and I've been sent that link a few times today.  General consensus amongst them is that he showed a lot of early promise but never really kicked on, has completely stagnated and needs a move.  Good engine and some skill but gives the ball away too much.  The club have been trying to move him on since the last transfer window apparently and he was heavily linked with Rangers at around the same time as Todd.

Edited by Barham Blitz

20 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Would definetly be a statement signing and suggests we mean business this summer. Very impressed if our first two signings are Barnet and Davies. Quality additions at Championship level.

Everton fans don't seem too bothered about losing him though. I visited a Toffees forum as I'd never heard of him and the player evokes loads of negative reviews such as:

"A nothing player who has spent five years around the squad without cementing a place."

He has, however, a lot of Premier League experience so clearly has something to offer, so let's hope that he proves to be as much a 'fit' at City as he is unfit for the Everton fans. That's if this is indeed a concrete acquisition and not just somebody jumping the gun based upon the Colney visit.

Some of these articles coming out make it seem like we are desperate to flog Big Andy to the highest bidder. Not sure there’ll be all that much interest in him for the big bucks we’re after (or most will be conditional depending on how he does)

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not singling you out Capt Pants but this is a massive pet peeve of mine. Goals and assists is the most shallow way of assessing a player, especially as a player who plays mainly as a DM. 

Assists particularly are a useless stat. For example....

That fantastic run by Isak isn't an assist because it took a deflection on the way through. So based on just looking at goals and assists Murphy's 2 yard tap in gets more credit than Isak beating about half the Everton team on his way to goal. 

14 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The OTHER thing I've just thought of - what does he offer that we don't already have in Sara?

A lot more than Gibbs 

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

20 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’d not feel happy receiving Russian money in the current climate 

I would say there is a moral difference between simply getting money from the sale of a player who wants to move to a Russian club and Norwich City as a club investing in or receiving investment from Russia.

40 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Some of these articles coming out make it seem like we are desperate to flog Big Andy to the highest bidder. Not sure there’ll be all that much interest in him for the big bucks we’re after (or most will be conditional depending on how he does)

May be the case. If we can get the kind of money that has been mentioned then we can probably replace him for less and spent the rest elsewhere. Would make sense.

I'm not sure that we are desperate to sell big Andy but as other posters have said that I think that we could replace him especially if the figures being touted are close to what we would get for him, I know a lot of our issues stem from the midfield but far too many times this season when teams are heading towards our goal it ends up being a goal, and as soon as a team has scored against us then we fall apart.

As soon as a team got past our press then you knew they were going to score, and that is just not good enough.

19 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

I'm not sure that we are desperate to sell big Andy but as other posters have said that I think that we could replace him especially if the figures being touted are close to what we would get for him, I know a lot of our issues stem from the midfield but far too many times this season when teams are heading towards our goal it ends up being a goal, and as soon as a team has scored against us then we fall apart.

As soon as a team got past our press then you knew they were going to score, and that is just not good enough.

I know it may be controversial to say

But I dont think Andrew is all that fantastic, and once again I ask; How many clean sheets has he kept in his last ten matches for us?

Prehaps a loan away might do him good.. Just like it did with Mumba but then again we need defenders dont want another crisis

Dont Get me too wrong do think there's a decent player in him and that he has a lot of potential

But unlike some I'm not expecting him to be sold for 30 million to Bayern or Juventus or something silly like that anytime soon

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But I dont think Andrew is all that fantastic, and once again I ask; How many clean sheets has he kept in his last ten matches for us?

Prehaps a loan away might do him good.. Then again we need defenders dont want another crisis

I agree. He might need a move away from Norwich to kick on with his career. He’s also been unlucky with injuries whilst here though so that probably hasn’t helped. 

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Prehaps a loan away might do him good.. Then again we need defenders dont want another crisis

Dont Get me too wrong do think there's a decent player in him and that he has a lot of potential

But unlike some I'm not expecting him to be sold for 40 million to Bayern or Juventus or something

I think he needs to start with an older experienced pro and I personally think giving him the armband is a mistake regardless of whether he has the qualities, it’s a lot of pressure in an underperforming team.

Call me crazy, but if we don’t get a better CB in (because we can’t afford it with other pressing priorities) I actually think a Gibson/Omo partnership could do very well at this level, providing Gibson is mentally up for the challenge - which he hasn’t always looked to me.

14 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think he needs to start with an older experienced pro and I personally think giving him the armband is a mistake regardless of whether he has the qualities, it’s a lot of pressure in an underperforming team.

Call me crazy, but if we don’t get a better CB in (because we can’t afford it with other pressing priorities) I actually think a Gibson/Omo partnership could do very well at this level, providing Gibson is mentally up for the challenge - which he hasn’t always looked to me.

I agree with this, not popular on here but I quite rate Gibson. Just seemed to have got into a bit of a spin with his confidence over last couple of seasons. Bit of a vicious circle - in/out of team/low confidence/makes a silly mistake/back out of the team....then repeat.

I think he should now be told that with Hanley out he is first choice CB and if he makes a mistake he wont be automatically dropped but given the chance to make amends in the next game.

• Like 2

I hope that we strengthen in this area of defence as that is an area that this season we have looked weak, and as i have said i know the midfield needs looking at but we have been conceding goals sometimes far too easy, but i do think that its a whole formation and structure that needs to be looked at players need to know what they are doing.

Keeping clean sheets isn't down to the performance of one CB, it's overall solidity, structure, formation and a screen in front of that in terms of defensive midfielders.

I'm not sure selling Omo is a great idea unless we get a fantastically high price for him. Likewise where on earth would you send him on loan to? Seriously, not a League One club?

We need to be better at developing our young players such as Omo, Idah, Tzolis, McCallum etc in-house. In my opinion we haven't done that very well this season and if anything they've all regressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But unlike some I'm not expecting him to be sold for 30 million to Bayern or Juventus or something silly like that anytime soon

Rather like Godfrey, he's in that strong, athletic, mobile mould - and a lot of clubs that would buy based on his core physical assets that they can build on, particularly while still young.  Maybe not 30m, but you could argue that he's in the 10-15m bracket already and that was on the back of a poor season.

• Like 1