TeemuVanBasten

Should Webber Resign (April 2023 Poll)

Should Webber Resign (Poll)  

170 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should Webber Resign (Poll)

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/04/23 at 22:59

1 hour ago, aBee said:

I was literally asked to comment in the post I replied to!

Sorry pal, I got you into this mess! Please don’t stop posting, you’re welcome here. I was tentative recently but you’re very knowledgeable and provide excellent insight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Argue all you like but if circa 75% of supporters don't want you here that doesn't seem a great basis to move forward. It's not even close to 50/50.

If he stays and messes up another summer of recruitment the impacts on this club could be pretty dire. Yes, it's all down to results but get off to a bad start next season and the hostility and toxic atmosphere continues. 

I can't see how we can take the risk even moreso  with seemingly so many supporters already against him. 

I would say you are 💯  correct. I can't quite get the love in for this chancer. He's done his good bits. Life moves on, to afford another chance for me is suicidal. He's yesterday's man. He's a bad 🍎 apple. People are forgetting how much unrest and negativity this man has been responsible for . As you say 75% is pretty damming statistic.  Remember  also should he resign, for me yes! The people who said No, could also mean and probably does , a tick for No but really a lot needed him sacked. That choice was not in this poll. Whatever he should be gone. How can we move forward with him still in place. He's done. He new the task , yes not easy, he really has just been a mercenary taking the money and using the club for his other interests , podcasts . He's not the person for the job. Have a look at Dan ashworths videos and compare his persona to the dìçķhead and loser we have. Hurry up Everest and don't come back.

This job is far to big for a guy with such a huge ego. Bye, bye 👋,  you won't be missed. 

3 hours ago, aBee said:

We might just have been lucky in buying a lot of players in 2019 who have stepped up (Raya, Jansson, Norgaard, Jensen, Mbeumo together cost less than we got selling Maupay and have been the core of our team for 2 PL seasons), much as you were with Buendia and Pukki.

I've been meaning to ask you whether you think Brentford were in any way lucky to miss out on PL promotion a couple of times? - did it make you more ready to take on the PL when you got there?

I'm not in any way trying to excuse away the mistakes made here at Norwich, but I do feel that we were promoted a year too soon in 2019 and a year too late in 2021: had we been promoted in 2020 I suspect our 2020-21 PL team might have looked something like this –

Krul

Aarons* Godfrey* Gibson Lewis*

Skipp McLean

Buendia* Dowell Cantwell*

Pukki

– with the asterisked players, all pretty young, having had an extra year of Championship football to gain experience without getting on the radar of PL clubs. Not saying that team would have certainly stayed up, but I think it would have had more of a shot than either of the teams we assembled in 2019-20 or 2021-22.

Wondered if you felt there was a parallel with Brentford's counterfactual history here...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I've been meaning to ask you whether you think Brentford were in any way lucky to miss out on PL promotion a couple of times? - did it make you more ready to take on the PL when you got there?

I'm not in any way trying to excuse away the mistakes made here at Norwich, but I do feel that we were promoted a year too soon in 2019 and a year too late in 2021: had we been promoted in 2020 I suspect our 2020-21 PL team might have looked something like this –

Krul

Aarons* Godfrey* Gibson Lewis*

Skipp McLean

Buendia* Dowell Cantwell*

Pukki

– with the asterisked players, all pretty young, having had an extra year of Championship football to gain experience without getting on the radar of PL clubs. Not saying that team would have certainly stayed up, but I think it would have had more of a shot than either of the teams we assembled in 2019-20 or 2021-22.

Wondered if you felt there was a parallel with Brentford's counterfactual history here...

I don’t know about this from a Norwich angle but in retrospect I think we did better by not going up in 2020 (and in 2013 when we were an injury time missed penalty from automatic promotion from L1 away, I can still hear the clang off the crossbar but the pain is dimmed by where we are and where Doncaster are who went down the other end to win the league over Bournemouth - whatever happened to them?! - and Yeovil, now National League South). Our 19-20 team would have been difficult to adjust to being defensively strong enough to survive in the PL even while having now proven PL attackers in Benrahma and Watkins with Toney. So I think we’d probably have been attractively and pluckily relegated in front of empty stadiums if we’d gone up that year. We’ve been fortunate in being backed to go again after falling short and building on it rather than dismantling it. 

I’ve said this before on here but I think had we been you we’d have sold Buendia on relegation and invested in bringing on a differently focused team and giving the new players the easier task of acclimatising in the Championship rather than rely on him to take us up then sell to buy that new PL team (cf selling Benrahma and Watkins and rejigging style in a way that took us up the harder way but made staying up less of a culture change). The DoF(s) have now for many years said they recruited for where we wanted to be rather than where we were. So we had a riskier path to promotion but a squad more suited to the higher level when it came. Part of that also was seen in eschewing loans other than for temporary and immediate need (other than technical tax driven loans (Freiburg needed this for Schade to book the fee next season)) the only first team loan in we’ve had in 3 seasons was half a season of Winston Reid in our promotion season because Jansson was injured. The last time we had lots of top loanees was 14-15 but saw it as a dead end because Pritchard after a great season with us was keen to win his place at Spurs and priced well out of our range. Even Swift the year after was unattainable (and initially so was Canos but for not making it with you when you blew us away with your offer for him in 16-17). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aBee said:

I don’t know about this from a Norwich angle but in retrospect I think we did better by not going up in 2020 (and in 2013 when we were an injury time missed penalty from automatic promotion from L1 away, I can still hear the clang off the crossbar but the pain is dimmed by where we are and where Doncaster are who went down the other end to win the league over Bournemouth - whatever happened to them?! - and Yeovil, now National League South). Our 19-20 team would have been difficult to adjust to being defensively strong enough to survive in the PL even while having now proven PL attackers in Benrahma and Watkins with Toney. So I think we’d probably have been attractively and pluckily relegated in front of empty stadiums if we’d gone up that year. We’ve been fortunate in being backed to go again after falling short and building on it rather than dismantling it. 

I’ve said this before on here but I think had we been you we’d have sold Buendia on relegation and invested in bringing on a differently focused team and giving the new players the easier task of acclimatising in the Championship rather than rely on him to take us up then sell to buy that new PL team (cf selling Benrahma and Watkins and rejigging style in a way that took us up the harder way but made staying up less of a culture change). The DoF(s) have now for many years said they recruited for where we wanted to be rather than where we were. So we had a riskier path to promotion but a squad more suited to the higher level when it came. Part of that also was seen in eschewing loans other than for temporary and immediate need (other than technical tax driven loans (Freiburg needed this for Schade to book the fee next season)) the only first team loan in we’ve had in 3 seasons was half a season of Winston Reid in our promotion season because Jansson was injured. The last time we had lots of top loanees was 14-15 but saw it as a dead end because Pritchard after a great season with us was keen to win his place at Spurs and priced well out of our range. Even Swift the year after was unattainable (and initially so was Canos but for not making it with you when you blew us away with your offer for him in 16-17). 

I’m out of likes but this is really insightful as per. Can I ask, who has been at the wheel in terms of DoF and finance at Brentford over the past few years because to me you seem to have it absolutely nailed. I remember the last time I saw Norwich play Brentford was at Griffin Park and it was amazing, not only because we won oc heh, but the vibe was incredible - amazing Roy of the Rovers stadium but mighty passion from y’all, the ball whizzing around a tight pitch. And now, you’re the biggest club in West Ldn. As I said, we’ve had our Sliding Doors moment and it’s just… hard to wrap my head around tbh given how far Norwich have slumped. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aBee said:

The DoF(s) have now for many years said they recruited for where we wanted to be rather than where we were. So we had a riskier path to promotion but a squad more suited to the higher level when it came.

Thanks for the whole reply, really interesting. The bit I've quoted is particularly fascinating since, as you say, it's the opposite of what we did. It's so frustrating. Sometimes I think we weren't far away from doing something really special. Other times I think we were miles away. Just interested in how circumstance, as well as strategy and judgment, plays a part. 

• Thanks 1

Webber’s cocky quotes were always more than likely to come back and haunt him.  It looks like he did well appointing Farke, who brought the magic. To then remove Farke, and not “ignore the noise”, is proving Webber to be out of his depth.

Player and Coach recruitment has been horrendous, and the club has no unity or identifiable playing style.  Incredibly Wagner is less suited to Norwich, and less capable than Smith.  

I very much doubt either Webber or Wagner will be part of any solution to unite the club now.

1 minute ago, FCC said:

Webber’s cocky quotes were always more than likely to come back and haunt him.  It looks like he did well appointing Farke, who brought the magic. To then remove Farke, and not “ignore the noise”, is proving Webber to be out of his depth.

I agree with this. He brought in the magic, then threw it away when Farke was just starting to get to grips with his situation.  A horrendous start of that season with the loaded fixture list and with new players still coming into the club with no experience of Farke's methods and key injuries.

People forget that Farke acted to try and stop the rot of that difficult beginning by going defensive and we started picking up points and then that win at Brentford indicating that maybe, just maybe, we had turned a corner.  He had the players still playing for him, the team was fighting, Farkeball starting to resurface after that awful start - and he was dealing with the nonsense of the noise around Cantwell and Gilmour. In short he was still in control of the situation.

Webber acted, but in this case he was wrong to act and that decision to sack Farke without a suitable replacement was folly. Ok, sack Farke, but make sure you have someone lined up that made sense!