Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Swansea

I usually reckon on about a third of the way into a season is when you can see where things are going. For us that was some time in October and despite the odd encouraging result I think we all realised that by the time the clocks went back, the gap between expectations and reality was somewhat wider than we had anticipated. The change of personel and the odd decent result fooled us into thinking it would all eventually come good and as I wandered down Southgate Lane to CR this afternoon there was still a straw to clutch at. Would it still be there at five o'clock or would that hope end up like Elon Musks space rocket, with a rapid and unscheduled disassembly.

It all looked a bit encouraging early doors when after five minutes of tip tap mid field possession stuff, City suddenly came alve down their left wing as Hernandez was released into space. I felt he delayed a split second too long and when the cross came in, keeper and defenders managed to scramble the ball out of the box but only to McCallum who hit a sweet shot that Fisher couldn't hold but did enough to fall on the loose ball before Idah could react.

Then there was another good move down the other wing and an interchanged between Aarons and Nunez ended with a hard low cross that nobody could get on the end of. The home side continued in the ascendancy and at that stage there was little coming back in reply from the visitors.I thought Swansea looked decent in possession but a couple of times they got caught by Nunez lunging in and winning the ball. He looked like he might get through on goal but was felled on the edge of the box just as he was about to pull the trigger. The resulting free kick was on target but unfortunately Fisher got his body right behind it.

In the twentieth minute there was the first real threat to the home goal when a ball over the top beat the offside trap and Gunn had to race from his line and deflect a low shot away for a corner with his outstretched boot. I jokingly said to the lad that this was typically where we go behind and seconds later could have kicked myself as a free header from the resulting corner was nodded past Gunn. It tends to get monotonous with the number of times we have dominated games and then going behind out of virtually nothing.

From the kickoff City nearly got back in it but Sara's through ball was fractionally ahead of Sargent and a defender hooked the ball away. Then a quick raid down the right saw Gibbs cross narrowly fail to make contact with Sargents head as the City strker threw himself forward. At the other end the City defence suddenly fell apart again as Aarons failed to win the ball on the byeline and a dinked cross went over Gunn and left Cullen with a simple chance to head home from almost on the line. It was thoroughly depressing and no surprise when the boo's started and a chant of "Webber out" rang round the ground.

As if things couldn't get worse another ball over the top again caught the City defence square and as Cullen raced away with the ball McCallum probably had little option but to bring him down and faced the long walk to the dressing room in front of a now very angry crowd. For me this was game set and match, you don't give a good passing side like Swansea a two goal start and expect to get anything at all with ten men.

Several around me left at half time and it was hard to blame them because the second half was likely to be ball chasing and backs to wall and thats the way it worked out with the visitors mostly camped in our half and passing the leather off the ball. To our credit the ten men put in plenty of effort but the damage had already been done and the virtual silence interspersed with the occassional "Webber Out" chant can't have been an easy atmosphere to play in.

Sargent and Hernandez bustled about up front on the rare occassions we held any sort of possession but the result was never in doubt and a third goal just after the hour was neither here nor there. To be honest I was just wishing the minutes away and hoping to get away without too much further danger as the crowd began to visibly thin with fifteen minutes left.

For me this has been a difficult season for both football and personal reasons. My son would never allow us to leave before the final whistle even if it was to stay and boo but I weakened and just couldn't take any more and left on 85 minutes. On the way back over Carrow Bridge I had to explain to my Great Grandson that however much you feel like chucking yourself in the River because of results, the feeling does eventually pass and surprisingly you will be chomping at the bit for when the next home game comes around. He looked at me rather quizically and I'm not quite sure if he believes me.

In the end there was no straw to cling to,

and come to think of it, no rocket either.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

46 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

The Pink Un should definitely publish, and pay you for, these match reviews, Ricardo. They are consistently excellent.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Measured and factual as always Ricardo .............which is more than can be said for some of the knee-jerk **** elsewhere on here 😩

Been watching NCFC since 46 except for Saturday playing and moving abroad 

Today’s performance ranks even worse than the Colchester game as so much was resting on 3 points for us

5 minutes ago, daly said:

Been watching NCFC since 46 except for Saturday playing and moving abroad 

Today’s performance ranks even worse than the Colchester game as so much was resting on 3 points for us

For me it felt more like the Burnley game when the crowd turned on Worthy.

Its a cruel game and the distance between hero and zero can be surprisingly short.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

For me it felt more like the Burnley game when the crowd turned on Worthy.

Its a cruel game and the distance between hero and zero can be surprisingly short.

Obviously we couldn't hear everything on the internet but it did sound flat and Goreham did keep mentioning it. It was as if, as you said, that moment in time when you sense the drama is unfolding.

Its been a baptism and a half for your Greatgrandson. 

You're right Rickyyyy. It was ok until we went behind but we're so fragile and crumpled straight away. No heart after that. A few did try but many seem to want too much time on the ball. I think we came out second half playing to keep the score down to two. I was peed off at the time but upon reflection that was our only option. 

Really tough season for you buddy. Perhaps next season will be better. We'll both be there whatever.

Great report Rickyyyy 👍

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

You're right Rickyyyy. It was ok until we went behind but we're so fragile and crumpled straight away. No heart after that. A few did try but many seem to want too much time on the ball. I think we came out second half playing to keep the score down to two. I was peed off at the time but upon reflection that was our only option. 

Really tough season for you buddy. Perhaps next season will be better. We'll both be there whatever.

Great report Rickyyyy 👍

Thanks Nutty. I can't  see me ever packing it in but the Grim Reaper will have the last word eventually. Would love to have another promotion season with my Great Grandson before that happens,

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its been a baptism and a half for your Greatgrandson. 

Can only get better KG.

Thanks Ricardo, thats pretty much how I saw it but reading other posts made me wonder if I had watched a different game. This is the first game this season I gave up watching 10 mins before the end and went to bed (just before midnight here). I just couldn't see any point in watching the last 10 mins when the only thing that was likely to happen was a 4th or 5th goal.

Love your reviews, they make so much sense. The loss of Mclean, Hanley and Gibson has done for us in this end of season run in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, taipei_canary said:

Love your reviews, they make so much sense. The loss of Mclean, Hanley and Gibson has done for us in this end of season run in.

Yes, you can't lose key players like that without having an affect. I think a replacement for Hanley now has to be top priority for next season.