11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Boy, can't wait to get battered 5-0 every match

At least youll only need to stop streaming when the 5th one goes in to stop watching!

stop streaming when the 5th on goes iin

• Confused 1

if a club is set up correctly as Self funded it should never be in Danger

or that is what we were told ,

if Webber and the club have set everything up correct the outgoings should have been calculated which ever league we are in and be self funded 

if someone has been giving out contracts that will only pay with sky parachute payments and not just champs money then we are deeper trouble than many think 

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Assume not promoted. Sell Sara, £25m. Sell Rashica, £5m. Maddison on-sale £5m. Another couple of sales £5m. For a Championship team, £40m if spent well should be enough to recruit players to get us up (witness Burnley this season). 

Assume promoted; well Webber has already borrowed forward against broadcast income, he'll repeat this but again he needs to spend that money well.

Common issue? Can Webber be trusted? 🤷‍♂️

Sounds simple…until you consider we might need to make those sales just to pay off debts and meet current wage demands. Leaving zero for rebuild just as key players depart…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Firstly we will certainly lose a few. The likes of Aarons, Sara, Gunn could well be tempted away by the level of wages...... we could match if we were in the PL. PL money would allow us to bring in the quality we need, and give us a few million for a couple of more (three?) years after, if relegated.

Secondly the problem we face is not that money does not buy success. But the amount those outside the top eight have does not. It is the players signed, who have not been up to it. Why, well that's another argument. But that can never be a reason for not wanting the team to be as successful as possible. It is about 'wanting to win'. Something Lambert and Farke were able to install in the squad. Why that momentum could not be continued is a complex question and answer. As I have said, if it was as easy as many on here think then Webber would be at one of those top eight clubs.  Fridays game showed we do have it, but not consistently. Maybe with the injuries before and on the day it gave us that 'underdog fight'. Backs to the wall stuff. The fight we had when we regularly scored late goals, and always looked like we could.

And for those around in '59, was there any talk then of the supporters not wanting to get to Wembley..... in case the team got beaten?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d never not want us to win or achieve success. I was only stating that if we did go up, we’d currently need about 12 strong signings to even be competitive with the lower level teams (like Burnley). 

But I think you’re being very naive if you believe ‘underdog spirit’ and a positive way of thinking is going to keep anyone up in the current premier league. The multiple past seasons have shown that to stay up and compete, you need top-quality players (which requires serious investment) and to be very adaptable with subs (given injuries and tactical changes through the season). We’re a long way behind, at present. 

Edited by Robornio

23 hours ago, mr footy said:

We need to get promoted for mainly financial reasons rather than football reasons.Our skill set and tactical awaness will not improve in prem but money will come in.We need to go up for this reason 

We get promoted and then what?

We got promoted in 2019 and where was  the money by 2020?

We got promoted in 2021 and where was the money in 2022

We get promoted in 2023, where do you think the money will be by 2024?   Think your point is completely flawed on all the evidence!

Promotion doesn’t make us stable, if anything it stops development as we become desperate for success and play the tired old guard at the expense of bringing through youth and the old guard aren’t good enough!     We are stuck in the money trap!     The evidence before our eyes is overwhelming.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Thanks 1

The caveat to this statement below is making the assumption we carry on with the self funding model:

I would rather go up, take the money and if we're blatantly going to be uncompetitive then play young players with the PR backing them up advising everyone of our strategy.  When I say the young players I don't mean 16 year olds but the Rowe's, Tomkinson's, Big Andy, Sara, Nunez, Sargent, Gunn etc. With two or three Hanley types for guidance.  If we need to spend, spend on players who are too good for The Championship but not quite good enough for the PL.

I think this will benefit the club far more in the long term because the young players will improve rapidly and one or two of them will either be sold for large fees or they'll hopefully be too good for The Championship when we get relegated again.  The proceeds from the sales will fund the next years campaign. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We get promoted and then what?

We got promoted in 2019 and where was  the money by 2020?

We got promoted in 2021 and where was the money in 2022

We get promoted in 2023, where do you think the money will be by 2024?   Think your point is completely flawed on all the evidence!

Promotion doesn’t make us stable, if anything it stops development as we become desperate for success and play the tired old guard at the expense of bringing through youth and the old guard aren’t good enough!     We are stuck in the money trap!     The evidence before our eyes is overwhelming.   

that is my main Criticism of Webber ,

that is where he has failed 

the whole idea of going up then down then up with this money being gained 

the whole idea was bolt a few players onto the Team each season so we were getting stronger each season 

Also the idea with that money was to buy players for profit along the way ,

it worked at the start Emi Pukki Krul i am sure we could of sold at many times but we kept hold apart from Emi who sold for a big profit ,

then Webber went out with a fist full of money and brought players the broke the chain 

Players now who are not worth what we paid or even helped us and moved on loan 

his luck ran out recruitment / investments went down instead of up 

we have to go up but we need better recruitment this time 

On 09/04/2023 at 09:41, mr footy said:

We need to get promoted for mainly financial reasons rather than football reasons.Our skill set and tactical awaness will not improve in prem but money will come in.We need to go up for this reason 

I have a mate who is very close friends with a direct family member of someone well placed in the club.... cryptic for a reason, but this is somebody who would absolutely know and the info provided in the past has been legit... they have told my mate that without promotion this year, we are financially screwed, but that might be a catalyst for an attanasio buyout to absorb the financial hit and pick the club up relatively cheap.

Edited by kick it off

16 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I have a mate who is very close friends with a direct family member of someone well placed in the club.... cryptic for a reason, but this is somebody who would absolutely know and the info provided in the past has been legit... they have told my mate that without promotion this year, we are financially screwed, but that might be a catalyst for an attanasio buyout to absorb the financial hit and pick the club up relatively cheap.

Canaries go cheep ................well I never 🤗

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

that is my main Criticism of Webber ,

that is where he has failed 

the whole idea of going up then down then up with this money being gained 

the whole idea was bolt a few players onto the Team each season so we were getting stronger each season 

Also the idea with that money was to buy players for profit along the way ,

it worked at the start Emi Pukki Krul i am sure we could of sold at many times but we kept hold apart from Emi who sold for a big profit ,

then Webber went out with a fist full of money and brought players the broke the chain 

Players now who are not worth what we paid or even helped us and moved on loan 

his luck ran out recruitment / investments went down instead of up 

we have to go up but we need better recruitment this time 

We have to go up?     We aren’t going to find 15 or 16 EPL level players for £50m.   Will spend the EPL money failing to compete and will be back here again….  battered, bruised and thoroughly embarrassed.

3 hours ago, kick it off said:

This would probably be the better outcome 

On 09/04/2023 at 09:57, lake district canary said:

I'm not comfortable to think we have to go up for financial reasons. That is not what sport is about. If we stay down, be it for two or three seasons or more, we can develop the team and squad for however long we need to. Yes, we lose parachute payments along the way, but football should always be the main focus. 

Money is important, but it isn't the be all and end all. Football is what matters and the pressure to get promoted should not be a financial one. Sport is what matters, not money. 

All very sensible but how do we afford the Webber's massive salaries if we don't go up?

That is why they are desperate to go up and why we keep failing when we get there.