Sign in to follow this  
Mariner

The Best Norwich City Game

For a bit of light relief from the recent serious business of management faults and virtues, I would be interested to know of people''s favourite games across the years.  In spite of a great deal of competition since, Premiership, Europe, etc., my own has lasted a very long time, Norwich City v Liverpool, F.A. Cup, 3rd. Round, January, 1951.  We were in the Third Division, South, they in the First Division of course and losing finalists the previous season.  We won 3-1, probably the first really significant triumph by an East Anglian side in the post-war period.   It wasn''t just that we won, it was how we won, quite magnificent stuff.  

I''m a relative youngster, and didn''t get to see my first game until I was 15 due to having non-football supporting parents, so having to wait until I could take myself...

But in the 9 years or so of watching games, my favourite would have to be the Boro game last year - no point in me mentioning the score.  Okay, so we weren''t at our best for most of the game, but the way the crowd reacted to going 4-1 down, with the most amazingly rousing rendition of On The Ball City - the mere thought of which still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my nect - really shows how much we, as the fans, do affect the players...

Despite losing many games, we had so much fun last season as a crowd... time to get back into that habit of actually "supporting" our team, methinks...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

I''m a relative youngster, and didn''t get to see my first game until I was 15 due to having non-football supporting parents, so having to wait until I could take myself...

But in the 9 years or so of watching games, my favourite would have to be the Boro game last year - no point in me mentioning the score.  Okay, so we weren''t at our best for most of the game, but the way the crowd reacted to going 4-1 down, with the most amazingly rousing rendition of On The Ball City - the mere thought of which still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my nect - really shows how much we, as the fans, do affect the players...

Despite losing many games, we had so much fun last season as a crowd... time to get back into that habit of actually "supporting" our team, methinks...

[/quote]

Well said monkey, and i agree, but we have to sort our the management before we can start putting our full support behind them, Us ''Worthy Outers'' still do support the team, just no the inept manager! Last year can prove it, you cant score 4 goals and still draw! its horrible! But yes, it was a fantastic achievement and what everyone thought was a vital point. Unfourtuantly, giving up a 2-0 lead agasint manchester city, 3-1 up Vs Palace and a few other i cant recall, we would still be up there.

My favourite would probably be the last home game of the season we got promoted, where the whole ground was doing mexican waves, and even the away supporters were doing the conga and other mad things, it was awesome!

Hopefully that time will come again soon, also the resulting win of the game was nice!

and then with a tear in the eye seeing Roberts come out to say goodbye!

The best Norwich City game? Ipswich away Christmas 1982. All the hallmarks of an old fashioned Norwich City away trip. Some 10,000 raucous city fans watched not once but twice as  Peter Mendham scored two superb goals, only for ipswich to peg us back twice. In the last minute, the superb Barham storms forward only to be upended by Putney. Cue Martin O''Neill and a wonderful free kick into the top corner. Cue also pandemonium from all 4 corners of the ground as city fans celebrated in wild fashion. There was still time for ipswich to mount a desperate attack, which ended when Steve Walford violently hacked the ball clear from the six yard box. After several hacks at the ball, and Brazil!!! Wonderful. Uproarious, Outrageous, sNorwich city at its best.   

I was in the Town dirctors box in 82 - blooming superb that was...

As was Donowas late ish equaliser against manure in the 80s,  Bruces head against town, Drury later equaliser against boro and going through against Bayern in europe.   

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I was in the Town dirctors box in 82 - blooming superb that was...

As was Donowas late ish equaliser against manure in the 80s,  Bruces head against town, Drury later equaliser against boro and going through against Bayern in europe.   

Told you there was uproar in all four corners of the ground!

[/quote]

It has to be Milk Cup semi 2nd leg against the binners. Absolutely amazing drama - I will never forget it as long as I live.

Mine was the 1-0 win at home over Villa in the 92/93 season. John polston scoring sparked fantastic celebrations !!!! Fanstastic stuff & the atmosphere of a night game. Obviously Bayern Munich was good too & another favourite the 3-1 home win against Wolves in the play offs. I still remember the hair on the back of my neck standing on end when I listened to the replay of the Radio Norfolk commentary on the way home... Those were the days!

first game in the Premiership, 2-0 down at half-time at Highbury, Robins came on at half-time and we won 4-2. Amazing game and the start of the best best season in the clubs history. My mate got so emotional he proposed to his girlfriend at full-time!!!

My favorite is a real recent! The 2-0 Win against Man Utd last season, what a brilliant match! Needs I say more!

For me it would be my first game in 1980 I believe.
Norwich vs Liverpool. Standing on a box in the River End with my Godfather and watching that cracking 5-3 game and the wonder goal from the late Jason Fashanu.
What a game that was. Happy days.

In recent memory it has too be the 4-4 draw with middlesboro. The comeback was amazing and the atmosphere was electric. I can  remeber the boro fans celebrating our 2nd and even 3 goal, but when we scored the equaliser they went very shy and quiet.

The Manchester united and newcastle games last year were also amazing. Safri''s goal and ashtons winner in the newcastle game was simply brilliant

Going back a bit another great game was the 4-2 win over , i think QPR, i might be wrong in about 98. We were 3-1 up after 10 minutes and bellamy scored a hat trick.

[quote user="GJD"]

For me it would be my first game in 1980 I believe.
Norwich vs Liverpool. Standing on a box in the River End with my Godfather and watching that cracking 5-3 game and the wonder goal from the late Jason Fashanu.
What a game that was. Happy days.

[/quote]

JUSTIN Fasanu... I used to stand on a milk crate in the River End in the mid 80''s.. I loved it!

Surely shume mistake.... Jason Fashanu... I meant of course Justin... Old age and Guinness at lunchtime I put it down to....

For the best laugh of all time, the local derby at CR in about 1996. We''re 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go, then the budgie-haters get a dodgy pen at the Barclay End, 2-1.  Five minutes later the ref gives them another one, and then - unbelievably -changes his mind. You couldn''t make it up.       

stoke, div 2 promotion was up there, sadly only a 0-0 I recall but everyone on the pitch afterwards was mad, me and my old mate Clarky must have been there up 6pm

another special game or rather a special moment was Eadies come back game against port vale with.... probably my favourite city goal  

winning at watford and getting promotion to the premiership on a beautiful sunny day in may 2004. the atmosphere was pure carnival and it is a day that i will never forget because it don''t get much better than that!

Loads of memories.. the boro game last season, for the surreality (is that a word??) of it all....

Man utd at home last season where we made their team of million pound mega stars look ordinary, disorganised and confused....

Iwans farewell at Carrow Road.. followed by watching Crewe in the beam back at Carrow Road and going absolutely mental along with a good 1000 others when Iwan Scored his last 2 goals... my pint went flying over some poor woman! lol!

the civic reception.

Seeing us win 3 games out of 3 at Portman Road...

Europe.. say no more....

But my most memorable and favourite moment is the 1992 FA cup 1/4 final replay vs Southampton.... a match that had everything.. rubbish pitch, 2 red cards, goal mouth scrambles, injuries, Saves galore by Walton and Tim Flowers, 2 clearences off the line (one by a certain Mr Shearer) and an extra time Winner.... i was just 10 years old back then (almost 11) and my dad had explained about 7 or 8 times during the game how penalties worked etc.. we both agreed if it got that far we''d lose as Tim Flowers wasnt bad at stopping from the spot... I''ll never forget when Sutton scored.... thats the loudest roar i have ever heard at Carrow Road... even during the promotion run or last season.. i dont think i have ever heard a cheer louder than that....  Super Chris even Ran over to infront of me in the family enclosure too....

happy days :)

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Loads of memories.. the boro game last season, for the surreality (is that a word??) of it all....

Man utd at home last season where we made their team of million pound mega stars look ordinary, disorganised and confused....

Iwans farewell at Carrow Road.. followed by watching Crewe in the beam back at Carrow Road and going absolutely mental along with a good 1000 others when Iwan Scored his last 2 goals... my pint went flying over some poor woman! lol!

the civic reception.

Seeing us win 3 games out of 3 at Portman Road...

Europe.. say no more....

But my most memorable and favourite moment is the 1992 FA cup 1/4 final replay vs Southampton.... a match that had everything.. rubbish pitch, 2 red cards, goal mouth scrambles, injuries, Saves galore by Walton and Tim Flowers, 2 clearences off the line (one by a certain Mr Shearer) and an extra time Winner.... i was just 10 years old back then (almost 11) and my dad had explained about 7 or 8 times during the game how penalties worked etc.. we both agreed if it got that far we''d lose as Tim Flowers wasnt bad at stopping from the spot... I''ll never forget when Sutton scored.... thats the loudest roar i have ever heard at Carrow Road... even during the promotion run or last season.. i dont think i have ever heard a cheer louder than that....  Super Chris even Ran over to infront of me in the family enclosure too....

happy days :)

jas :)

[/quote]

Jas, I would''ve thought that your best game would''ve been one where we got hammered and the manager you didn''t like got the sack.