Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour. Out of Favour at Brighton

4 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

How long before Marquinhos scores the winning goal for Arsenal at the Champions' League Final?

Now that is a stretch 

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Really? No one? So this thread posted itself? Nice.

Oh please. If a player is playing either inferior players, it isn't there fault. That's like saying James Maddison is awful, as Leicester will probably go down.

This threads been dead for over a month, only you are holding on.

• Haha 1

Looked in on the Daily Record’s tale running with this ball and at the end of it the first comment up reads:

Just checked the game on Flashscore (whatever that is) ….

Goals: 0

Assists 0

Rating: 6.7 (second worst Brighton player, and easily the worst of all those who played full 90 minutes).

And we’re pretending Gilmour is a world-beater. Again.

I’m sure someone will pop up to say that’s a Celtic reader commentating. Whereas De Zerbi isn’t going to do anything other than big his player up – why would he undervalue him ahead of the transfer window?

The truth is likely somewhere between the two. Well football’s all about opinions isn’t it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

A month? That long, huh? I wonder what life was life back then at the beginning of the Internet age.

It lasted 4 days and ran its course, then it died. It was mainly you just arguing with people. No one’s commented since because no one cares about this except you who is apparently desperate to prove that Gilmour is great. 

He was a bad signing for us (not his fault) he performed poorly in a poor overall side and he’s not done anything this season to prove himself. Maybe he will in the future, but nothing will change the season he had with us being a failure.

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

There's been another half a dozen threads with Gilmour's name In the title since he left. (I started zero) so don't pretend he's not a part of the consciousness.

The lad is a class player. So glad he's Scottish.

Well I imagine the vast majority of us can at least agree on that 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

He started the moves for 4 of the goals. That's the primary job of a deep lying playmaker.

I actually think BG was dealt with very harshly by Norwich support. But, the reason he played so well yesterday was really down to Wolves' abject performance putting zero pressure on the ball. It's a luxury he never had for us. I don't think he did anything Jacob Sorenson/Kenny/Sara/Gibbs couldn't/wouldn't have done in that game. 

52 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I think that the underlying point here is how we seem to fail with our loan signings.

My failing memory recalls peter Crouch as our last successful loan ( I don't count Hucks as we signed him - and how I wish we'd signed Crouch). To see Gilmour catching the eye yesterday does raise the question of "What is going on?" Are we just signing these loanees too early in their career ( see also Harry Kane)?

One Patrick Roberts also salvaged a point for Sunderland yesterday. See also Aaron Ramsey. How long before Marquinhos scores the winning goal for Arsenal at the Champions' League Final?

Leroy Lita 

Fraser Forster 

Dani Pacheco 

Henry Lansbury 

Kyle naughton 

Jordan Rhodes 

Oli Skipp 

I'd argue all the above were successful... 

(Probably missed a few myself too) 

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

No one cares. I’ve no malice against Gilmour, not his fault we signed him, hope he comes good.

Nothing he does now or in the future will change what a massive failure he was for us though.

I've nowt against the Jimmy Krankie size equvalent so whether he comes good or not is irrelevant!

2nd sentence is completely spot on!

Edited by kingsway

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

First bit I agree. Not so sure about the second part.

Gilmour's spacial awareness and technical abilities are of a different level to the players you mentioned, especially McLean. Literally different leagues.

Scotland are lucky that we have two deep laying playmakers (Gilmour and McGregor).

Playing Wolves yesterday was akin to playing against Norwich this season in the Championship most games - No energy, no press, no obvious plan, generally lightweight easy to roll over, players with no confidence underperforming. - I think McLean could of done something against them yesterday!

I don't care if Gilmour turns into a Lionel Messi clone, I'd still rather have McLean. In fact in his time at Norwich McLean has been better than most other midfielders we've had in the same period!

Edited by kingsway

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

First bit I agree. Not so sure about the second part.

Gilmour's spacial awareness and technical abilities are of a different level to the players you mentioned, especially McLean. Literally different leagues.

Scotland are lucky that we have two deep laying playmakers (Gilmour and McGregor).

Pahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahaha

*Breathe* 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha 

Has he walked into England's midfield yet after that performance? Surely Southgate has to be trying to find a loophole to get him to be English now and absolutely has to build the team around him!!!! 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Your double pivot are Rice and Phillips.

One is in a relegation battle and the other just about makes the Manchester City bench.

It's not exactly Keane and Scholes.

"Oh please. If a player is playing either inferior players, it isn't there fault. That's like saying James Maddison is awful, as Leicester will probably go down." 

your words fella.... 

Rice isn't awful and west ham might go down 🤷🤔

oh, oh I get it... It's because he's not billy isn't it.. 

aaaaaand we're conveniently forgetting Bellingham again aren't we... 🥱🥱🥱

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

McLean is functional and I do like him, so I'm not slighting him. But no.

You'd rather have McLean over Gilmour? Are you just saying that because it's a hypothetical or are you serious?

Your right, McLean is very functional which is why hes done a decent job for Norwich!

Both hypothetical and serious! - Gilmour will almost certainly never play for us again while McLean probably will! Yes I'm serious, I look at the 2 players performances for Norwich then with Gilmour it was always going to be a case of him being less guarded at Norwich amongst lesser players.

McLean for me falls into the Gary Doherty/ Trevor Putney/Neil Adams category of Norwich players who were criminally under rated but actually done a very good job for the team in most of their games for us!

Wolves were diabolical and let Brighton do whatever they wanted with the ball under no pressure.

Despite that, Gilmour was rated the worst Brighton player on the pitch by most reports (BBC, Telegraph, DailyRecord just as examples).

Hes a nothing player, good for him he got a game but it proves absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

"Oh please. If a player is playing either inferior players, it isn't there fault. That's like saying James Maddison is awful, as Leicester will probably go down." 

your words fella.... 

Rice isn't awful and west ham might go down 🤷🤔

oh, oh I get it... It's because he's not billy isn't it.. 

aaaaaand we're conveniently forgetting Bellingham again aren't we... 🥱🥱🥱

Mate, don't even bother 😅😅

• Haha 1

Gilmour is a bang average midfielder who failed at Norwich and has so far failed at Brighton. Yes he has much better players in front of him.

Beyond that, no he doesn't get into the England side,  that's obvious to anyone with an ounce of football intelligence.

If he kicks on and does well at Brighton then good for him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Mate, don't even bother 😅😅

I tried so hard, I wasn't going to... I just can't help it, I have this overwhelming urge 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's. One. Match.

You're absurd. 

Didn't you hear.... HE IS REEEBOOORRRRNNN 

WE CAN TAKE THEIR LIVES... BUT WE'LL NEVER TAKE THEIR BIIIILLLLYYYYY!!!!!

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Oh. I'm in no way blaming Rice for West Ham doing badly. Just stating facts. 🙂

Bellingham is a floating number 10. Like Gerrard was. We're talking about deep laying midfield.

Scotland are playing England in September. Let's see what happens.

No we're talking about billy walking in England's midfield, which he won't... Even after his masterclass of pirlo heights, yesterday..... 

Even if Bellingham is that (he isn't) you still manage to forget him every single time this argument is made. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Just now, hogesar said:

Gilmour is a bang average midfielder who failed at Norwich and has so far failed at Brighton. Yes he has much better players in front of him.

Beyond that, no he doesn't get into the England side,  that's obvious to anyone with an ounce of football intelligence.

If he kicks on and does well at Brighton then good for him.

Yeah but but but...he won man of the match once.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I tried so hard, I wasn't going to... I just can't help it, I have this overwhelming urge 😂

Yeah fair play to the guy, he (or she) is an outstanding troll. I try to resist but he always gets a rise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I've heard people cite, in terms of depth, Maddison, Ward-Prowse and Tom Davies. All three could be in the Championship next season.

It's not like I'm saying Kenny McLean could walk into the England squad. Yikes.

Give it time.

your all over the place fella, time to pick a lane... Other than the one leading to wee billy's sphincter 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Just now, TheDarkKnight said:

Mate, if you don't like the player, fine. Don't reply.

You have no contractual obligation to stick your oar in. 🙂

We'll stop when you go and bother Brighton instead of us. 

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Again, didn't say it was there fault if their clubs went down.

The aforementioned players are behind Rice and Phillips (Maddison isn't, as he's a number 10). So, you're practically saying Championship players would be ahead of a player who is in a top 6 EPL club.

Fair enough. 🙂

I'd happily take league one players over Billy mate 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Again, didn't say it was there fault if their clubs went down.

The aforementioned players are behind Rice and Phillips (Maddison isn't, as he's a number 10). So, you're practically saying Championship players would be ahead of a player who is in a top 6 EPL club.

Fair enough. 🙂

One of the players you're trying to claim Gilmour would be above is Tom Davies, he of zero England caps.

So, sure he might be ahead of a guy who has never played for England. That isn't 'walking into England's midfield' though.

9 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Are you telling me to stop posting here?

Telling? No, hoping? Absolutely! Your a man united fan from Scotland who's only link to us is your worrying love of Billy Gilmour and the fact that you see our other questionable Scottish players on your tour of the world watching every game that every potential national player plays in... 

• Like 1

Just now, TheDarkKnight said:

That's the thing, a while ago I asked about the depth of the England midfield. Someone said Davies.

Pretty much sums how deep the pool is.

Davies was mentioned as someone who would be taken ahead of Billy! Much like longstaff, Skipp, winks, willock etc. 

And make no mistake, was The wee cherub English, he WOULD be behind those type of players.