Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Hodgson is back at Palace

Absolutely extraordinary.

They have the easiest run in of any club in the Premier League so I'm still a bit baffled that Vieira was sacked. 

• Like 1

It's until the end of the season to make doubly sure they don't get relegated.

For some reason Viera doesn't fit. They can look for a replacement between now and next season. They may well already have a target.

Strange move but sensible in some ways.

He had a bad run of results; however, other than maybe three pretty poor games, the majority were against teams that they wouldn't have been expected to get points from and they were unlucky not to pick up a few additional points in a couple of other matches.

Sound familiar?

Still think that having sacked Farke, our best bet would have been to bring in Roy on an interim basis to shore up our defence while we waited for Knutsen to join us in January. Reckon we'd be second in the Championship right now if we'd done that.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's never going to retire. Loves the game, one of a rare breed

One of at least two, as Colin is cut from the same cloth in that respect. 

Edited by Greavsy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

His wife is going to be doing cartwheels

Let’s hope she’s a bit younger than Roy if she is. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

One of at least two, as Colin in cut from the same cloth in that respect. 

Wheres Big Sam gonna be before season ends? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Does Bruce make the cut too? Possibly in a couple more years.

Southampton   maybe? Hes done Yorkshire and the Midlands, maybe a south coast tour  is next for him. Save Soton then next season rescue Bmouth , then onto keeping plynouth in the Champs..  

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Southampton   maybe? 

I'm sure he'd love retiring to Sandbanks with 'Arry and others.

Roy should have been snapped up by The Premier League to Help sort out VAR - Correct Decisions & Fairness

That is providing the Premier League and Referee's want to sort out VAR - Corrupt - Big Clubs - Dodgy Lines etc

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Absolutely extraordinary.

They have the easiest run in of any club in the Premier League so I'm still a bit baffled that Vieira was sacked. 

There are some strong rumours that Vieira would go missing for periods, and dodge Parrish's calls, and that he'd had enough of that.

Now, it really depends whether "dodging Parrish's calls" actually means turning his phone off at 7pm so he can put his kids down for bed and then spend quality time with his wife, or if it means not being reachable for 24 hours which would determine whether I'd side with Vieira or Parrish on that one.

• Like 1

Just makes me feel a bit sad when you see people like Hodgson and Warnock going back to work in their mid 70s.

Just means that they've not been able to let go and just enjoy their money and retirement.

Surely after years of only having a few weeks off a year they'll have places they want to go, people they want to see, hobby's to pursue etc.

They don't need the money, they've got limited time left to enjoy the money that they do have, they could be struck down with ill health and mobility problems at any time.

Both should have said their farewells at 70 and been busy ticking off half the countries in the world, eating at the worlds best restaurants, and rating cruise liners out of 10. That they are choosing to keep working just suggests some mental illness or delusion of some sort.

Tony Pulis is 65 and has said that he's not interested in another managers job, he's enjoying his retirement, fair play to him.

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just makes me feel a bit sad when you see people like Hodgson and Warnock going back to work in their mid 70s.

Just means that they've not been able to let go and just enjoy their money and retirement.

Surely after years of only having a few weeks off a year they'll have places they want to go, people they want to see, hobby's to pursue etc.

They don't need the money, they've got limited time left to enjoy the money that they do have, they could be struck down with ill health and mobility problems at any time.

Both should have said their farewells at 70 and been busy ticking off half the countries in the world, eating at the worlds best restaurants, and rating cruise liners out of 10. That they are choosing to keep working just suggests some mental illness or delusion of some sort.

Tony Pulis is 65 and has said that he's not interested in another managers job, he's enjoying his retirement, fair play to him.

"enjoy their money and retirement"

I feel that Hodgson could be sitting in a mansion, golfing, dining on fresh lobster and vintage wines every night and driving ferraris around and he would be wishing he was on a football pitch.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"enjoy their money and retirement"

I feel that Hodgson could be sitting in a mansion, golfing, dining on fresh lobster and vintage wines every night and driving ferraris around and he would be wishing he was on a football pitch.

Yes, but what does his wife think?

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Different people have different values and goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would hope she respects his wishes as is the key to all happy relationships

You make it too easy sometimes CC! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Different people have different values and goals.

And some people can't make their f*cking mind up

“And I think perhaps now I’ve earned the right to step back, enjoy a bit of free time and spend some time with my wife and son.” - Roy Hodgson, May 2022

34 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And some people can't make their f*cking mind up

“And I think perhaps now I’ve earned the right to step back, enjoy a bit of free time and spend some time with my wife and son.” - Roy Hodgson, May 2022

Maybe he's helping out a friend? That's commendable surely?

Being a year since that quote, maybe his "bit of free time" has been enjoyed and he's ready to go again. 

I wish you didn't keep changing your mind about if you've blocked me or not. 

Edited by Greavsy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There are some strong rumours that Vieira would go missing for periods, and dodge Parrish's calls, and that he'd had enough of that.

Now, it really depends whether "dodging Parrish's calls" actually means turning his phone off at 7pm so he can put his kids down for bed and then spend quality time with his wife, or if it means not being reachable for 24 hours which would determine whether I'd side with Vieira or Parrish on that one.

7pm to 7 am off means hes only giving 50%..... that wouldn't go down well here, as 90% isnt enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure I agree here at all - what this tells me is that these guys have found something they enjoy doing. Got nothing to do with mental illness or delusion at all. And when considering the increasing research hinting that work contributes to keeping mental faculties sharp then I'm inclined to say if they're still up for it, can still do the job, and chairmen think they can still do the job, then why not?

Heck, David Attenborough is still doing nature documentaries in his mid-90s.

Personally, I don't want to retire either. I only save in a pension fund as a second income stream when I get old - but as long as my faculties work, I'll happily translate until the day I drop dead. Just won't do quite as much.

• Like 2

Maybe they just  love being involved  in footy. If theyre fulfilled , whats the issue..i enjoy my life and have no intention of 'retiring'....ill just carry on being an annoying  cont until i drop...or head to Switzerland.  Im semi retired as it is, taking on only the work i want to. ...not because im particularly wealthy , but because i don't subscribe to the work, retire, out to pasture, dead, routine.....and nor should anyone else if they so wish. 

PS i am in the process of making my own coffin, basic wild west style ....a good reason not to get fat once its made.  

Im with Gunnso on this one....bollix to convention...do what feels right for you.  

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1