SouthMancCanary

Happy clapping so called City Elite

It never sits right when a group of fans try to elevate themselves above the rest. We are all fans, we all pay the same, no one is elite. 

The drum is a nuisance. It serves to stifle any chant emanating from elsewhere until we’re left droning ‘since I was young’ like Derby county. 
The drum is just the young persons happy clapping. The fella who plays it barely watches the match, instead faces the crowd in his cliche CP hat regardless of how derisory the performance. 

The players, the management, the board need to know when the football is not good enough. Unrest of fans should not be drowned out by this tin pot, American nonsense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SouthMancCanary said:

It never sits right when a group of fans try to elevate themselves above the rest. We are all fans, we all pay the same, no one is elite. 

The drum is a nuisance. It serves to stifle any chant emanating from elsewhere until we’re left droning ‘since I was young’ like Derby county. 
The drum is just the young persons happy clapping. The fella who plays it barely watches the match, instead faces the crowd in his cliche CP hat regardless of how derisory the performance. 

The players, the management, the board need to know when the football is not good enough. Unrest of fans should not be drowned out by this tin pot, American nonsense. 

Are you for the drum or against it? 

• Haha 3

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Are you for the drum or against it? 

Against it.

been present at at least 5 of my away trips this season and now I’ve ‘NCFC the team for me’ burnt into my ear drums

32 minutes ago, SouthMancCanary said:

Unrest of fans should not be drowned out by this tin pot, American nonsense. 

Not too sure about that. Many areas that are known for their atmosphere at football, like South America and Eastern Europe, have drums and even some bloke on a megaphone at times.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not too sure about that. Manga areas that are known for their atmosphere at football, like South America and Eastern Europe, have drums and even some bloke on a megaphone at times.

Granted but we’re in England. It’s all a bit tin pot here 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not too sure about that. Many areas that are known for their atmosphere at football, like South America and Eastern Europe, have drums and even some bloke on a megaphone at times.

Palace had a bloke with a megaphone at the weekend. Didn't sound quite the same though some squeaky voiced cockney screeching into it.

11 hours ago, SouthMancCanary said:

What a fantastic OP, couldn't agree more.

There's this pathetic tin-pot theory that us as fans should get behind the team during a game. What planet are those tin-foil hat wearers on? Support the team? Yeah right. It's almost criminal how these fans try and support the players during a match, it's almost like they think they're football fans?!

We both know how it should work. We come into the ground in absolute silence, maybe call Webber a tw*t on our way in and get offended if he asks us why. Sit down in our seat, sigh as the players come out and sit in silence awaiting an inevitable mistake. Hopefully it's us passing it around the back for more than 5 seconds, because we can properly kick off and call our players all the names under the sun. That'll do the job.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Palace had a bloke with a megaphone at the weekend. Didn't sound quite the same though some squeaky voiced cockney screeching into it.

Didn’t help them a lot - we could yet have the enjoyment of Selhurst Park again next season (and not via promotion!).

37 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There's this pathetic tin-pot theory that us as fans should get behind the team during a game. What planet are those tin-foil hat wearers on? Support the team? Yeah right. It's almost criminal how these fans try and support the players during a match, it's almost like they think they're football fans?!

We both know how it should work. We come into the ground in absolute silence, maybe call Webber a tw*t on our way in and get offended if he asks us why. Sit down in our seat, sigh as the players come out and sit in silence awaiting an inevitable mistake. Hopefully it's us passing it around the back for more than 5 seconds, because we can properly kick off and call our players all the names under the sun. That'll do the job.

2 sorts of fans aren’t there.

Those who go for a sing song and not too arsed if we’re little old Norwich, win lose or draw.
Those who can see the faltering atmosphere isn’t in fact the fault of the supporters, as is the line of Webber etc

atmosphere will improve when performance inspires it, as it did with Neil, Farke etc, any other fan base wouldn’t be so soft about iT.
They’re not a group of Under 11s, they’re not gonna be upset about it.

Edited by SouthMancCanary
  • Like 1

While I don't necessarily agree that the drum is a total negative I do agree with a couple of the OP's points.

It does stifle anyone else attempting to get something going.  There's a few around me (including me) in the Lower Barclay who will try to get a song going only for it to be drowned out a few seconds later by whichever of the two or three songs the drummer decides we're going to be singing next.

I'm also not a fan of the self-proclaimed "elite" title.  I've never met the lad(s), and I'm sure they're decent enough, but there is something a bit off about putting yourself on a bit of a pedestal.

They should be commended for doing something to try to improve the atmosphere - as other fans' groups have in the past - but maybe for next season and into the future they should look at expanding their repertoire, learning to become followers as well as leaders and dropping the "elite" nom de plume.

• Like 3

A couple of us last night got chants going and were grateful the CE team quickly caught on and took the chant on themselves - our throats are aging and are not able to sustain our singing form like we used to - much like our team putting good performances together consistently.

CE do a good enough job, they are the future in whatever way they develop. They need our support too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

You are of course right. There’s a huge sense of entitlement in sections of our fanbase. At times support rather than moaning is needed. ( Yes I know somebody will reply that it’s their right to moan). Often this season the drum has helped atmosphere . However last night it was drifting into pathetic and childish. I don’t see how the team is inspired by constant chants of ‘Who’s the fat Cnut at the front?’ ‘We are from Norwich, who the fcuk are you?’ and ‘ we pay your benefits’. Indeed it seemed tha they wanted to spend their time singing anything they could think of, especially if it contained the word fcuk or Cnut, or preferably both. I realise that many songs have swear words in them but many of last nights chants were simply puerile and were not directed at supporting the team.

OTBC is unique. But unfortunately that is the only one now. As hard as our singers try, they are only imitating other clubs fans songs. But they are trying something. I think the drum adds a cadence to the game that can inspire. Unfortunately, the cadence itself can inspire the opposition. But that is the chance you take. I could never go to a match and not sing. Its part of the package. 

Some may remember when Allouette (naughty lyrics) was sung. It was stupid really but those singing knew it was the key to liven up and it went on long enough to create a noise. England Rugby has one song Swing Low but it is sung to lift or inspire a confrontational game.

All I can ask is whether the drum and singing is doing any harm? Is it making the game worse? If not, then what is wrong with it? 

• Like 1

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

OTBC is unique.

I just wish it was sung slower - like Spurs and Soton do with their anthems. I did try to slow it down last night but was just wasting my tonsils (still can't speak today).

25 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

You are of course right. There’s a huge sense of entitlement in sections of our fanbase. At times support rather than moaning is needed. ( Yes I know somebody will reply that it’s their right to moan). Often this season the drum has helped atmosphere . However last night it was drifting into pathetic and childish. I don’t see how the team is inspired by constant chants of ‘Who’s the fat Cnut at the front?’ ‘We are from Norwich, who the fcuk are you?’ and ‘ we pay your benefits’. Indeed it seemed tha they wanted to spend their time singing anything they could think of, especially if it contained the word fcuk or Cnut, or preferably both. I realise that many songs have swear words in them but many of last nights chants were simply puerile and were not directed at supporting the team.

The Sara chant was prominent last night.

Fair point about the bad language. Nothing wrong surely in pointing out how weak the home support is when the away crowd is there in numbers and arriving home at 3am.

2 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The Sara chant was prominent last night.

Fair point about the bad language. Nothing wrong surely in pointing out how weak the home support is when the away crowd is there in numbers and arriving home at 3am.

It was, and I agree with your comment about the huge numbers of away supporters relatively. It just got very tedious when the small group with the drum were only interested in shouting abuse at the opposition. I know this always happens but it was far more obvious last night. We even had a revival of ‘We shoot burglars’

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

sit in silence awaiting an inevitable mistake

Be fair, it's not always silence, quite often there's a low background tone created by the quiet grumbling. 😁

Apples

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Be fair, it's not always silence, quite often there's a low background tone created by the quiet grumbling. 😁

Apples

I was going to mention the guy a couple rows back from me who has the worst diet imaginable and it's reflected in his passing wind which I'm guessing in previous seasons has been disguised audibly from fan noise but this season is incredibly prominent and everyone is now aware of his guilt...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

And tutting!

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

It was, and I agree with your comment about the huge numbers of away supporters relatively. It just got very tedious when the small group with the drum were only interested in shouting abuse at the opposition. I know this always happens but it was far more obvious last night. We even had a revival of ‘We shoot burglars’

After my small hours arrival home and some sleep I then read an interview with Tom Smith. Same old. One thing he mentions is isolation in Norfolk - as always in the context of the CSF, never in the context of the supporters who travel long distances to support the team. 

Then the usual line about the marvellous progress made by the Webber's since 2017. The latter raises the question then as to why they employed McNally for so long and paid him so much supporters money when the Strategic issues weren't being addressed.

Perhaps this explains 'we shoot burglars' syndrome?

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I was going to mention the guy a couple rows back from me who has the worst diet imaginable and it's reflected in his passing wind which I'm guessing in previous seasons has been disguised audibly from fan noise but this season is incredibly prominent and everyone is now aware of his guilt...

Sorry. Didn't realise it was that obvious!

• Haha 1

There’s a lot to agree with on this thread. 

IMHO the drum got chants going and sustained them. It wasn’t the only source of songs by any means, credit to the guy behind me, who when he wasn’t calling most of our team ****, sang for most of the game.

“We shoot burglars” is just embarrassing. What’s to be proud of about some social misfit shooting a 16 year old in the back? But then with the mentality of people like the woman holding up her little darling - who she had given ear protectors - so he could give the opposition supporters the finger with both hands, I shouldn’t be surprised. The only thing in its favour is that at least it’s original. We had at least two songs mirrored back to us by the Huddersfield fans when they scored.

Agree with op and another poster about the moniker elite.

Should do a poll of all season tickets for next year , yes / no to drum.

Reading this thread does highlight how fan culture has evolved over the years, sometimes for the better, other times for the worse.

The ways fans reacts to the changes is equally interesting, too.

Personally, I’ve never liked “badging” fans, the use of the word “elite” being just one example. They could, of course, change their name, but I’m sure those who don’t like what they do, would still have something else to comment about! 

Up the drum!

Up the flags! 

Up City Elite!

Up ACN! 

Down you miserable wining lot!  

As for the drum stifling others the chance to start chants, what a load of cobbles. Every time there’s no drum, Carrow Road is a morgue. So that’s that argument done.