Sign in to follow this  
king canary

6 transfer windows, 27 signings, £90m odd spent...

...and what do we have to show for it?

Of those players who has shown they're better than what was here before they joined?

Which of these players look like they would even get onto the bench of a team in the Premier League? Sara maybe? Gunn at a push?

Almost all of our best signings have been loans, the permanent signings just seem to be money down the drain.

It is really stark how badly we've failed to upgrade any part of this squad over such a long period of time.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Captain Holt said:

Mid table championship for many years. The yanks will very quickly realise we're not worth serious investment.

Or they'll realise Webber is a **** and get someone capable in.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You do have to caveat that with the amount of transfer fees received, but yes, Webber has pissed niagra falls up the wall. 

• Like 1

And if this continues the scum will be turning us over next season 

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Full takeover needs to happen ASAP, if Webber moves on too it could be happy days again. 

Needs to happen before the transfer window for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Binner 

Delude yourself all you like, but that’s how it’s headed unless we have a decent rebuild. 

Farke, Smith and Wagner have all failed with these players perhaps it's time to realise the problem is Webber. Webber told us that with a Sporting Director the style of play would remain the same  with the change of Head Coach he is right it has been rubbish all the way through. Under Farke we could pass the ball to our own players.

We spent  some 50 million last season 8-10 million on Rashica who is now playing in Turkey with us getting nothing in return, 8-10 million on Tzolis who can't start a game, several million on Sargent whose ball control is terrible, given a 5 year deal to Idah whose ball control is terrible I am certain with a different Sporting Director the money could have been spent better.

We have also spent money on the training facilities with absolutely no improvement on the pitch. The sooner Webber leaves the club the better.

The club may even get better reltions with the local press,

• Like 1

Webber must be still in a job for what he does in club management and balancing the books with half an eye for matters on the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

You do have to caveat that with the amount of transfer fees received, but yes, Webber has pissed niagra falls up the wall. 

Not managing to sign a permanent DM in his 5.5 years here is unforgiveable.

We've had Reed, Skipp, Normann and Hayden on loan.

Its quite possible the most important position on the pitch to get right, and he's failed.

He should be sacked for failing to sign the new Tettey.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

do not be nasty or question webber he will be tell us he is leaving again ! 

Or he'll drop his 90% down to 80%.

This summer will see the departure of Sara (£25m and counting), the Maddison dividend (£6 to 8M estimate), Rashica (£5m) plus bits and bobs for a few others. That's a return of  at least £40m.

Sure we will have nothing of value left, but Webber will say he hasn't blown that much as its less than a £50m net outlay when he next chats to some friendly journo.

We will also have our Academy players to come through.

Spin again ...

See how easy it is to play this SD game.

10 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's a massive sign of our progress that failing to be promoted on the first time of asking is now the benchmark for impending doom.

Perhaps. Webber was telling us regarding last season though how hard it is to compete against the PL teams with their massive budgets. The boot is on the other foot with the likes of us against Luton.

@lake district canary thinks drawing away and winning at home is OK. A look at football stats tells us it is much easier to win at the bottom away clubs than win at home against the top clubs. We are doing neither. 

The play offs are still there for us if we want them. The next 3 against Stoke who are achieving against top 6 and 2 teams who are above us could be crucial.

10 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's a massive sign of our progress that failing to be promoted on the first time of asking is now the benchmark for impending doom.

It’s not the failure, it’s the manner of it and the context surrounding it.

We aren’t just failing, we are so far off the expectations the club itself set.

Thats the biggest issue for me, it’s all very well getting upset with supporters for having unrealistic expectations but those expectations were set by the club.

Doesn’t matter how people spin it, the supporter base is in the state it’s in due to the club, not vice versa.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

This summer will see the departure of Sara (£25m and counting), the Maddison dividend (£6 to 8M estimate), Rashica (£5m) plus bits and bobs for a few others. That's a return of  at least £40m.

Sure we will have nothing of value left, but Webber will say he hasn't blown that much as its less than a £50m net outlay when he next chats to some friendly journo.

We will also have our Academy players to come through.

Spin again ...

See how easy it is to play this SD game.

It's not that easy, you have to sign / play / develop the likes of Sara, Maddison, Emi, Godfrey, Lewis in the first place. Which, apparently, the majority of teams in this league most definitely struggle with more than us for the most part.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's not that easy, you have to sign / play / develop the likes of Sara, Maddison, Emi, Godfrey, Lewis in the first place. Which, apparently, the majority of teams in this league most definitely struggle with more than us for the most part.

Hoggy, my tongue was fairly strongly planted in cheek there! My apologies, out of emoji's!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

It’s not the failure, it’s the manner of it and the context surrounding it.

We aren’t just failing, we are so far off the expectations the club itself set.

Thats the biggest issue for me, it’s all very well getting upset with supporters for having unrealistic expectations but those expectations were set by the club.

Doesn’t matter how people spin it, the supporter base is in the state it’s in due to the club, not vice versa.

The club set expectations of a top 26 club. It's only now that we're arguably falling out of being a top 26 club; a big part of that has been because too many people never listened and set their own expectations to being a top 17 club, creating this huge malaise and despondency that's killing the club as a result of nasty experiences in the Premier League.

The whole point of setting the club target of being a top 26 club was to try and create a culture that could stand up to being promoted and relegated, and everybody picking themselves up to go again with a view to eventually making it stick, but not getting too hung up on Premier League survival every time. Some fans, including myself, bought into that. Off the top of my head, I know Petriix, LDC bought into that from comments they've made and I know there are more. It's a shame that more didn't.

There has been a lot of complaint for some time about a 'disconnect' because of the club not listening to fans; I'd argue there's as much a disconnect because too many fans refuse to listen to the club because they don't want to hear what it has to say,.

Speaking for myself, I find it very frustrating to see the extent to which Farke is now put on a pedestal that so many seem to get upset hearing a bad word about him. I loved the guy and enjoyed his tenure, but by that measure of being a top 17 club that prevailed among fans he was a failure, which is why he had to go. Personally, I've always been in the top 26 club camp, which is why I wasn't screaming for Farke to go and happy to go again for promotion, no matter how miserable the relegation was. Now he's gone, his dismissal now seems to be the stick many want to beat the club with, ignoring the fact that allowing any manager 10 games with a truly appalling points return is unheard of outside of Norwich.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Ipswich we realised that we had too many poor players and in one go we let 19 of them go. 8 of them to Colchester and see where they are now.

We replaced them with mostly young and crucially keen players who are willing to learn and work hard for themselves and the club. 

Time wasters and passengers are gone. It was brutal and they all took time to bed in, but that is paying off now and if/when we get back into the Championship we will take it by storm because we now have a good team and squad that are used to each other.

Big money signings are not where it's at. Good skill and a willingness to work makes the difference.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:

if/when we get back into the Championship we will take it by storm

Should God have mercy on the Championship?

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The club set expectations of a top 26 club. It's only now that we're arguably falling out of being a top 26 club; a big part of that has been because too many people never listened and set their own expectations to being a top 17 club, creating this huge malaise and despondency that's killing the club as a result of nasty experiences in the Premier League.

The whole point of setting the club target of being a top 26 club was to try and create a culture that could stand up to being promoted and relegated, and everybody picking themselves up to go again with a view to eventually making it stick, but not getting too hung up on Premier League survival every time. Some fans, including myself, bought into that. Off the top of my head, I know Petriix, LDC bought into that from comments they've made and I know there are more. It's a shame that more didn't.

There has been a lot of complaint for some time about a 'disconnect' because of the club not listening to fans; I'd argue there's as much a disconnect because too many fans refuse to listen to the club because they don't want to hear what it has to say,.

Speaking for myself, I find it very frustrating to see the extent to which Farke is now put on a pedestal that so many seem to get upset hearing a bad word about him. I loved the guy and enjoyed his tenure, but by that measure of being a top 17 club that prevailed among fans he was a failure, which is why he had to go. Personally, I've always been in the top 26 club camp, which is why I wasn't screaming for Farke to go and happy to go again for promotion, no matter how miserable the relegation was. Now he's gone, his dismissal now seems to be the stick many want to beat the club with, ignoring the fact that allowing any manager 10 games with a truly appalling points return is unheard of outside of Norwich.

Repeatedly the wording this year has been the club believes we have a top 2 squad. 

The supporters are listening to the club and the clubs messaging is the problem. The bullish confidence and hype building sets expectations in the supporter base.

Talk about playing style and consistency of it also set’s expectations. Let’s not even talk about weapon analogies.

The closed nature of the club to local media sets a tone of arrogance. So does comments about previous regimes pissing money up a wall.

The stupid (imo) flames, light show and dance music drives hype (as it’s designed to otherwise why do it?). So does plastering a new signings face on the wall of a stand like we’ve just signed Messi.

The issue is if you drive all this expectation and hype, you give off a level of distance, lack of transparency and arrogance… then you don’t show up on the pitch.

The club is reaping what it sowed in terms of supporter expectations IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Should God have mercy on the Championship?

I am sure we will pay particular attention to one club. 😃

Edited by Ness Point Runner

4 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:

I am sure we will pay particular attention to one club. 😃

Peterborough coming up too, are they? 😉