5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Polling has shown that 70% of the British public see the channel crossings as a serious problem.

Except no serious pollster agrees with this.

You need to get out of your echo chamber TVB

Just now, BigFish said:

Except no serious pollster agrees with this.

You need to get out of your echo chamber TVB

Are you seriously trying to claim that YouGov are not a serious polling company? 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you seriously trying to claim that YouGov are not a serious polling company? 

Go on, show me the question & the figures from YouGov

6 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Go on, show me the question & the figures from YouGov

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/mzz3ysnb7s/YouGov - Illegal Channel Crossing Results.pdf

73%, weighted sample.

And that was when the illegal crossings were a fraction of the recent number.

69% considered the use of RAF planes to help prevent crossings to be acceptable.

Imagine rubbishing a polling company and accusing me of living in an echo chamber without bothering to ask who I was referencing first, that bodes so well for a constructive debate.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There are a lot of people on this forum who support a club that had a Conservative politician as chairman between 1973-1985

What?

I should have another Google.

Don't dis the man of the people...

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/south.htm

Edited by nutty nigel
🤔🙃😉💛⚽💚

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

2020?

I knew that people would point out that this is 2020, but check out this poll from November 2022

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/7vphby7gdj/Internal_Immigration_221103.pdf

55% have a negative view of refugees crossing the channel, versus just 19% positive.

There are many more polls. Just have to look for them. YouGov polls on immigration frequently, including on channel crossings. The type of immigration that people hold the most negatives views of is specifically illegal channel crossings. Always comes out as a clear majority view.

And these are weighted polls. Can't be blamed on Tory's. Whether you like or not a tough stance on these boat crossings will be a big vote winner for them, if they actually back their words with actions.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I knew that people would point out that this is 2020, but check out this poll from November 2022

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/7vphby7gdj/Internal_Immigration_221103.pdf

55% have a negative view of refugees crossing the channel, versus just 19% positive.

There are many more polls. Just have to look for them. YouGov polls on immigration frequently, including on channel crossings. The type of immigration that people hold negatives views of is specifically illegal channel crossings. Always comes out as a clear majority view.

And these are weighted polls. Can't be blamed on Tory's.

I don't disagree - I think there is a minority of well-off Labour supporters who don't consider it a problem because it simply never impacts on their lives, and therefore put things down to bigotry on the right. However I know several staunch Labour voters who also consider it a big problem, so I suspect this could well be a representative result.

My main point was that you said "polling has shown" which is a little disingenuous as it implies a recent result.

Edited by Ian

On 10/03/2023 at 17:37, Peregrine Shorts said:

Ian Wright standing down in solidarity

On 10/03/2023 at 18:36, cambridgeshire canary said:

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't disagree - I think there is a minority of well-off Labour supporters who don't consider it a problem because it simply never impacts on their lives, and therefore put things down to bigotry on the right. However I know several staunch Labour voters who also consider it a big problem, so I suspect this could well be a representative result.

My main point was that you said "polling has shown" which is a little disingenuous as it implies a recent result.

I simply thought that poll was more recent when mentioning.

However there are more recent polls on the subject of this exact form of immigration, and the majority view is negative.

Gary Lineker isn't going to live anywhere near areas which see ghettoization when unregistered migrants live 15 to a house in neglected accommodation owned by criminal gangs or dodgy slumlords, neither is any other member of the metropolitan liberal elite. The Albanians on the whole aren't here for asylum, they only apply for asylum when apprehended, they don't want to be apprehended when they land. 

There are serious Albanian organised crime gangs operating in the UK such as the Hellbanianz who are controlling the cocaine and heroin supply, and that's who many of the young men coming across want to work for. Not all of course, but many will be and that should be a concern.

As for other nationalities crossing, its natural to fear that some of those coming from Syria and Iraq could have been fighting for ISIS a few years ago. Again, not all, but some, they were a huge fighting force, they went somewhere. What is more worrying than those who are apprehended and moved to accommodation is the many thousands of others who go completely undetected and slip under the radar.

If being concerned about the ease at which organised criminal gangs can bolster their numbers, and legitimate concern about national security, makes me a bigot then so be it... call be a bigot, I'll wear it.

I wonder whether Gary Lineker would have wanted this small boat migrant living in his house:  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/iraqi-stabs-uk-student-rebaz-mohammed-b2297859.html

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, daly said:

Good to see MOTD without smarmy Lineker and Wright

Just the goals and the action

why no commentary though BBC

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

17 pages and counting. There are a lot of excitable souls on here.

Politics aside, there is a football match tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Maybe move this topic to the non football forum area. 

Should have been dumped there in the first place !

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A tax avoiding supposed lefty taking Bezos dosh to eek out a couple of lucrative bonus years at the end of a faltering career before he retires to become a full time virtue signaller on twitter? Yes, can see that. 

Far from clear cut yet. The HMRC has been heavily criticised - doesn't take much of a google. They've done the same to previous presenters including Loraine and failed. So I would at least add "alleged" before just stating that he is. 

My Grandad was a Tory, but I bet he'd be ashamed of this lot...it's not what he fought against. After the war he in fact took on a refugee himself (he uncovered him on a boat on the Wensum), then got him citizenship and employed him at his Butchers. Where is the empathy people? Look up, not down, that’s where the money is going. It seems like you’ve all been brainwashed by your overlords and their media. Weak.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A lot of stuff pulled straight from some right wing rag.

The thing that amuses me here is the hypocrisy.

Gary Lineker isn't going to live anywhere near areas which see ghettoization when unregistered migrants live

Judging by your previous posts and retorts to other forum users, I doubt very much that you are either. Based on your own arguments, you are now no longer qualified to comment. Somehow I doubt you believe that to be true but, you know... logic. Gary Lineker has had two refugees homed with him in his own house. Despite what you say, I do think that makes him more qualified to speak than you suggest, at least. 

15 to a house in neglected accommodation owned by criminal gangs or dodgy slumlords,

Do you know where these are then? Plenty of neglected accommodation owned by landlords at this point in time. Not by criminal gangs. Legit landlords. The tenants are anyone from working class to young professionals etc. Again, google is your friend if you care to look.

neither is any other member of the metropolitan liberal elite

If such a thing even exists.

28 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

My Grandad was a Tory, but I bet he'd be ashamed of this lot...it's not what he fought against. After the war he in fact took on a refugee himself (he uncovered him on a boat on the Wensum), then got him citizenship and employed him at his Butchers. Where is the empathy people? Look up, not down, that’s where the money is going. It seems like you’ve all been brainwashed by your overlords and their media. Weak.

My step father was dyed in the wool Conservative. Was a party member the majority of his adult life, canvassed for them etc. He disliked the likes of Farage a great deal and knew what he was (though apparently we're not allowed to say because it'll cause offence). As did my grandparents. In fact, the vast majority of their generation did, Farage didn't get even a toehold until the war generation started to fade away until there were such small numbers living memory of that era was all but gone.

Why are so many of the current cabinet ministers either entered politics in the last 10yrs or have previously been back benchers, not trusted by what was the core of the conservative party membership?

If people really want to get angry, rather than quibble over £4m that the HMRC are desperately trying to prove Lineker actually owes, and take a look at articles like this.

Amazon could avoid tax in the UK for at least another two years after benefiting from reliefs brought in by Rishi Sunak during the pandemic, a report suggests.

Research from the Fair Tax Foundation indicates that the tech giant claimed over £800m in capital allowances – which are business expenses that can be offset against profits – in 2021.This figure was £500 million more than in 2020.

Current prime ministerial candidate Rishi Sunak also brought in a “super-deduction” scheme for businesses that invest in infrastructure, which Amazon benefitted from.

That's over one billion pounds in two years (£300m in 2020 and £800m in 2021). That's not including whatever else they are doing now.

Sure, they took advantage of a scheme, so not exactly breaking laws or anything... but... 

According to the scheme, from 1 April 2021 through to 31 March next year, companies are able to claim for allowances equivalent to 30% more than the value of investment in new plant and machinery technology, and up to half the value of further investments in tech that forms parts of buildings, for example air conditioning.

This meant that Amazon received a £75 million discount on its tax bill for the year to December 2021, the foundation has claimed. As a result, Amazon had no tax to pay in 2021.

It has already set aside almost £66m against its tax bill for next year based on an estimated £250m of trading losses from 2021.

No tax. Zero. Nothing. Fair? Not remotely really is it?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps they should define it a little better then?

For you? Why? I think everyone else has an understanding of what it means and how it works. You seem to be at odds with that.

My view is that their prime focus should be around spectators at foorball matches and aiding people's mental health in that context. Against that yardstick there is a tendency to fail at times.

It fails against your yardstick based on your views. However, as you already said, your are not using a yardstick anyone else appears to recognise. And bluntly, your yardstick seems to change and often be very much based around you and what you want.

It seems that you are using community in the sense that you are part of a "community" but not really grasping what the "community" aspect is actually about. For that you'd probably be best off going over to the Nest and finding out more about the community sports foundation. I know that in the past, at least - no knowledge of now as I move in different circles, they had coaches going into schools to help encourage and support physical activity through sports etc.

I'm pretty sure you're not at school though... it really isn't about appeasing super minority share holders who angrily stamp their feet because times change. 

It relates to another word Lineker used CRUEL.

Yes, I would say that is a very good name for your yardstick.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

This is an interesting point of view too.

If people don't count so much because they don't think it's a problem as it doesn't impact them, is the counter also true? So called Vice-signalling?

For example, what if someone does think it's a huge problem, and makes a big deal about it, but is also unlikely to ever be impacted by it?

It would be logical to me that if we are saying people who are unaffected by it are somehow less qualified to comment that it applies to both sides whether they are for or against. I am pretty confident it would mean the vast majority on this board wouldn't be able to comment.

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

The Real Buh talking like he knows something about anything is the most enjoyable thing about the Pinkun forum.

I knew Dean Smith was a crap manager, even as you held on, desperately, hoping for the best. 

“Maybe if we cheer louder he’ll be a better manager, durrrrr”

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Polling has shown that 70% of the British public see the channel crossings as a serious problem.

Meanwhile only 27% of the general public said that they intended to vote Conservative last time they were polled.

If you think that concern about illegal economic immigration and the huge numbers of Albanians coming over to disappear into the black economy is exclusive to Tory's then yes, it really is you that is thick. There is a whole world out that there outside of the Twittersphere, the media bubble and its associated virtue signalling.

The Lib Dems would be the perfect party for Lineker. Polling at 9% though aren't they. Heard they were big on Twitter, maybe we should make Twitter a parliamentary constituency for a laugh to see how unrepresentative it is of wider society. That might snap Lineker and a few others out of their social media bubbles.

Like many on here, I'm old enough to remember when politicians were meant to lead public opinion through argument rather than simply follow it in order to get into office. I know this can be criticised as paternalistic or elitist, but at least it didn't create a generation of grubby like chancers going to opinion polls and saying what the public want to hear solely in order to get their snouts in the public trough.

In addition, the figure of 70% is probably true, but on its own it says nothing about the priority of that as a concern. We need to know how important that issue is, as well as what people's opinions are on that issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

I knew Dean Smith was a crap manager, even as you held on, desperately, hoping for the best. 

“Maybe if we cheer louder he’ll be a better manager, durrrrr”

You'd have a good point but for the fact I was a vocal critic of Smith from the often. Even when he was first linked I believe my words were "The only good thing about him is he isn't Frank Lampard".

The thing is, when you're right about stuff as often as I am, you don't feel a deep need to constantly remind people about the freak occasions when you actually hit the mark on something. 

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

You'd have a good point but for the fact I was a vocal critic of Smith from the often. Even when he was first linked I believe my words were "The only good thing about him is he isn't Frank Lampard".

The thing is, when you're right about stuff as often as I am, you don't feel a deep need to constantly remind people about the freak occasions when you actually hit the mark on something. 

It’s amazing how many people on here were suddenly right about Dean Smith all along.

Felt pretttty lonely when I criticised him for coming to the touchline with his mug of tea.

Im sure you were right there with me, fighting the good fight lol

If Britain didn’t have such a buoyant black economy then the migrants would not be so keen to come here. I bet in many cases those  who moan about this issue actually perpetuate the problem by their own actions. 

in the scheme of things this Country has far more important issues to be massively concerned about. Energy in short supply, a food crisis that will get worse, big companies choosing to base themselves elsewhere, offshore tax havens denying the tax system desperately needed funds, government borrowing out of control, the nhs on its knees. 

but hey let’s get the populace worked up about people have nothing at all coming to the UK. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, duke63 said:

but hey let’s get the populace worked up about people have nothing at all coming to the UK. 

So the £2.5 billion that the country spends every year just to house 150K asylum seekers in hotels etc because the asylum system is completely broken is insignificant and should be ignored?

Immigration is about far more than people arriving in small boats, it affects every bit of society and currently the government haven't got a clue how to deal with it. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t insignificant but when interest payments on Government borrowing amount to over £15 billion PER MONTH in some months, then it’s hardly our biggest problem. 

if Government tried to look at why people are prepared to risk their lives in this way rather than just beat them with an ever bigger stick, then they might go sone way to solve the problem rather than perpetuate it. But that doesn’t fit their way of governing. 

And Brexit is part of the issue here which is why this Government are frightened to admit the real reasons for the problem. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Canarydan23 is actually telling the truth here @The Real Buh. I remember it clearly as its one of the few times has ever been right about anything.

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Canarydan23 is actually telling the truth here @The Real Buh. I remember it clearly as its one of the few times has ever been right about anything.

Yuh huh

I believe him

I believe everyone that says they never liked smith all along

the list seems to grow by the day