Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Three fans have been banned from attending home and away

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Drunkeness in/around the stadium?! Bloody hell. I've been lucky to avoid a written warning with that one.

A two season ban is pretty draconian too if you ask me. Some of these tender little flowers oughta go to some games on the continent.

A lot of these punishments are just towing the line of PL mandates, or matching what other clubs do.  Nothing out of the ordinary in there.

This is the BBC's take on the story. No wonder we felt the need to change the badge. That canary looks like it was drawn by a drunk

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 20.31.01.png

Three years is the ban for going onto the pitch. Though these are usually on the spur of the moment acts. This was not. It was premeditated. In both buying the fare and then taking it into the stadium.  The latter n offence on its own. These things get excessively hot when lit. Yet these cretins thought it would be OK to throw it over a fair number of others. Aggravated burglary carries a heavier sentence. This object posed a far greater danger than ever so over exuberant idiot on the pitch does. Five years minimum.

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Any idea of the length of ban? A lifetime ban seems very excessive.

The word banded around here seems to be indefinite ban, remember McNally statement on the Colchester two saying they had received an indefinite ban but were seen in carrow road some years later 

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Three years is the ban for going onto the pitch. Though these are usually on the spur of the moment acts. This was not. It was premeditated. In both buying the fare and then taking it into the stadium.  The latter n offence on its own. These things get excessively hot when lit. Yet these cretins thought it would be OK to throw it over a fair number of others. Aggravated burglary carries a heavier sentence. This object posed a far greater danger than ever so over exuberant idiot on the pitch does. Five years minimum.

Not quite on the level of the marine type flares we used to see in grounds but smoke bombs can burn very hot as you say. These types of things are all good fun until it goes wrong, then it can be horrific. Punishments are well defined and stadiums are blanketed in CCTV. Got to be pretty thick to think you may get away with it.

If watching City is important to you then I don't understand the mentality of someone who risks a ban by using a flare inside the ground, as for the ban itself I don't think the club have the legal power to ban people from attending away games just those at CR and only courts can issue FBO's so unless these three are charged and prosecuted then they're free to attend games anywhere else until the club ban ends.   

9 hours ago, Attleborough_Canary said:

Not quite on the level of the marine type flares we used to see in grounds but smoke bombs can burn very hot as you say. These types of things are all good fun until it goes wrong, then it can be horrific. Punishments are well defined and stadiums are blanketed in CCTV. Got to be pretty thick to think you may get away with it.

Marine flares are very dangerous.

30 years ago at the Millennium Stadium a 67 year old man man died after getting in the chest by one set off horizontally on the opposite site of the pitch. The two brothers who fired the flare got three years for manslaughter.

Anyone taking flares of any sort into a sports ground should face severe consequences.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Anyone taking flares of any sort should face severe consequences.

Was ok in the 70s, though.  Different times, i guess..

2_CSR_MEN_070721cityunited_13.jpg

🙂

I was looking online as to why we're much more strict than many countries in Europe and some people seem to think it's because of our background of hooliganism and more chance of someone having a flare and throwing it into a body of people or on the pitch, rather than keeping hold of it high up.

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

If watching City is important to you then I don't understand the mentality of someone who risks a ban by using a flare inside the ground, as for the ban itself I don't think the club have the legal power to ban people from attending away games just those at CR and only courts can issue FBO's so unless these three are charged and prosecuted then they're free to attend games anywhere else until the club ban ends.   

Incorrect. Carrow Road is private property so the club retains the right to refuse admission to anyone it wants. Unless that refusal is based on grounds of sex, race or religion.....

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Incorrect. Carrow Road is private property so the club retains the right to refuse admission to anyone it wants. Unless that refusal is based on grounds of sex, race or religion.....

That's what I said, 'just those at CR'.

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Those are not flares. They are what was known as bags. Oxford bags, or Birmingham bags if they had thigh pockets on the side. Flares usually were close fitting down to mid thigh/knees then flared out to the bottom (hence the name, flares) Usually covering the foot as well.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad to see a harder line being taken on smoke bombs and flares now. Having had a green smoke bomb go off pretty much in my face after we scored at the Ipswich playoff semi-final away leg in 2015, I can say it's thoroughly unpleasant for anyone, let alone those with any kind of breathing difficulties. The police there that day weren't particularly interested. I'm all for creating an atmosphere but these things can be dangerous, so for me the punishment is well deserved!

2 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Those are not flares. They are what was known as bags. Oxford bags, or Birmingham bags if they had thigh pockets on the side. Flares usually were close fitting down to mid thigh/knees then flared out to the bottom (hence the name, flares) Usually covering the foot as well.

Whatever they are you do struggle to understand why anybody would have wanted to dress like that!

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

That's what I said, 'just those at CR'.

But presumably Norwich City can get all other clubs where we are playing away to bar them, on the same basis that those grounds are private property and those clubs can refuse admittance. I imagine there is some kind of data base where banned fans are listed.

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

🙂

I was looking online as to why we're much more strict than many countries in Europe and some people seem to think it's because of our background of hooliganism and more chance of someone having a flare and throwing it into a body of people or on the pitch, rather than keeping hold of it high up.

The one on the left is plainly Peter Cook but the other one doesn't resemble Dudley Moore.😜Or is it some kind of tribute act...

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

But presumably Norwich City can get all other clubs where we are playing away to bar them, on the same basis that those grounds are private property and those clubs can refuse admittance. I imagine there is some kind of data base where banned fans are listed.

The club would have to send names and photos to all the other clubs and rely on them to pass the details onto stewards etc which is ineffective. What the FA, the PL and the EFL have done from this season is to agree to a club ban immediately and push for prosecutions so that offenders are given FBO's by the courts, if they then try to get into games they risk imprisonment and an extension of the ban. 

28 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The club would have to send names and photos to all the other clubs and rely on them to pass the details onto stewards etc which is ineffective. What the FA, the PL and the EFL have done from this season is to agree to a club ban immediately and push for prosecutions so that offenders are given FBO's by the courts, if they then try to get into games they risk imprisonment and an extension of the ban. 

Unless anybody is arrested and charged to go to court by the Police who has the power to take their photos ?

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Unless anybody is arrested and charged to go to court by the Police who has the power to take their photos ?

Anyone can be photographed when they are in a public space. So I would think the owners of private property have the same rights regarding their property. NCFC can refuse to sell tickets to any person for home and away matches. Though I don't know how purchasing tickets for a third party (these three ) works

A few seasons ago at Portman Road a Norwich fan standing some way behind my friend and I threw a yellow flare which landed by our feet.  We didn’t notice straightaway but by the time we did her jacket, which was on the floor,  had melted in places and my jacket was covered in yellow dust.  Steward didn’t want to know as he said he was from Colchester!!

20 minutes ago, NCPFC said:

45 seconds in and look at the two guys with their backs to the pitch obviously suffering the effects of the smoke.

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Anyone can be photographed when they are in a public space. So I would think the owners of private property have the same rights regarding their property. NCFC can refuse to sell tickets to any person for home and away matches. Though I don't know how purchasing tickets for a third party (these three ) works

I was thinking in regard to sitting someone down and taking an official mugshot as opposed to capturing a face on a grainy CCTV image.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was thinking in regard to sitting someone down and taking an official mugshot as opposed to capturing a face on a grainy CCTV image.

Photography has come along way since the days of your photo of the Nest. As the images of those who threw the flare were undoubtedly used to identify them. I believe it is the reason the lights are left on in the terraces at night games now.