Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Not Seen This One Before.

May be an image of 5 people, people playing football, people standing, outdoors and text that says 'WINCARNIS Gha's BULLARD'

Stolen from Book of Faces.

The Nest February 1913 and an FA Cup tie v Bristol Rovers which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

May be an image of 5 people, people playing football, people standing, outdoors and text that says 'WINCARNIS Gha's BULLARD'

The Nest February 1913 an an FA Cup tie v Bristol Rovers which ended in a 2-2 draw.

A very rare shot from that era - very few photographers were able to capture in-action snaps with the equipment they had before the 1st world war. Stupid question perhaps but which side are which kit - I don't recognise any of the players? 😉 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And here's the lads.

f72c501a-c887-4a30-89d7-a44900a36c12.jpg

In the dark kits then, but what colour (blue?) - to avoid a clash presumably with Rovers' quartered blue and white shirts. 

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The Nest February 1913 an an FA Cup tie v Bristol Rovers which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Great find Til, thanks for sharing.

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Now that is what you are good at CC: "Wincarnis is currently made by Broadland Wineries in Norfolk, and sold by Macleod."

Made with “extract of meat”. 

F3731F31-AA9C-49D2-9387-33C40A4093A2.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The Nest February 1913 and an FA Cup tie v Bristol Rovers which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Were you on duty that day Tilly?

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

A very rare shot from that era - very few photographers were able to capture in-action snaps with the equipment they had before the 1st world war. Stupid question perhaps but which side are which kit - I don't recognise any of the players? 😉 

It looks like the first ever spot the ball competition....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I suspect that is fake 

It looks to me like a  Sex Pistols gig, circa 1976, and someone has photoshopped some old football kit onto the pogoers

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I suspect that is fake 

It looks to me like a  Sex Pistols gig, circa 1976, and someone has photoshopped some old football kit onto the pogoers

MES on the far left taking notes for his new band? 😉

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

I'm sure that alcohol brands are still allowed pitchside advertising

Not sure on this. But my guess is zero alcohol is allowed to be promoted as it's not an alcoholic problem, you know cause noone links the brand's at all...

16 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Not sure on this. But my guess is zero alcohol is allowed to be promoted as it's not an alcoholic problem, you know cause noone links the brand's at all...

I'm sure until this season there was a very large Woodfordes banner across the barclay stand.

Agreed they aren't allowed on shirts any more

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

In the dark kits then, but what colour (blue?) - to avoid a clash presumably with Rovers' quartered blue and white shirts. 

As shown in the photo, Rovers' regular kit was black & white vertical stripes. They didn't adopt quarters until 1931.

City's yellow shirts were, presumably, more towards the mustard-shade than today's lemon.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

City's yellow shirts were, presumably, more towards the mustard-shade than today's lemon.

According to this resource it seemed quit bright yellow but I guess it is just an interpretation - Especially as the socks look almost black in the photo above but were supposedly green.

image.png.83d2e271302f700135cf774f17e2b2a7.png

From Norwich City - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk)

Actually having looked again it is probably the following season's kit with the green collar and black socks and most importantly the canary crest.

image.png.f8db3c8e91d812c8d95b8fb8aaa59970.png

Edited by shefcanary
further thoughts

It was a second-round replay. We drew 1-1 away, drew 2-2 AET at home (attendance just over 13,00) and lost the second replay 1-0 at Stamford Bridge. One ought to be able to remember more but one had rather overdone the Wincarnis🍾 at half-time...😍

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

According to this resource it seemed quit bright yellow but I guess it is just an interpretation - Especially as the socks look almost black in the photo above but were supposedly green.

image.png.83d2e271302f700135cf774f17e2b2a7.png

From Norwich City - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk)

Actually having looked again it is probably the following season's kit with the green collar and black socks and most importantly the canary crest.

image.png.f8db3c8e91d812c8d95b8fb8aaa59970.png

I suspect this is 'circular sources' , where historicalkits takes its information from available sources, which are mostly b.w photos with one or two line-art colour trading cards.

If you compare postcards from the very early days the City yellow shirt is never the same shade twice. Prob a combo of light / exposure.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I suspect this is 'circular sources' , where historicalkits takes its information from available sources, which are mostly b.w photos with one or two line-art colour trading cards.

If you compare postcards from the very early days the City yellow shirt is never the same shade twice. Prob a combo of light / exposure.

Example here;  postcards from three consecutive seasons but who would guess the shirts were the same colour?

yellow.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Don J Demorr said:

A little light restoration

ncfc 1913 restored.jpg

I reckon a few of these chaps were killed during the war. I definitely know that Bell and Macdonald were. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I have found a picture of the Wincarnis works on Westwicj St, courtesy of George Plunkett.........Coronation%20Westwick%20St%20Wincarnis%2

No pic unfortunately 

In the early 1980s Colman’s were still packing Wincarnis in the old Westwick street factory that stood where TKMaxx and Farm foods etc are today. Other fine vintages included Bulls Blood and Veuve de Vernay …

Edited by John Ryans Express

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

image.png.ec06f1a71a48ab553d243b975ee8988d.png

after the lens was wiped - and I wonder how many of the 22 on the pitch, and the crowd were lost in the upcoming war