Sign in to follow this  
Anderz

Defender/Midfielder wanted, apply Carrow Road...?!?!

After all the furore has died down about the strikers, I think perhaps we may need to start thinking longer term about getting a decent defender to cover the back/replace the rather ageing Mackay and a decent right midfielder who''s willing to cross on the run...

As regards the suggestion of defenders, what do people think about getting Darren Kenton back in, on either a short term loan or a season long loan? He''s way down the pecking order at S''hampton and we all know what he can do, he knows the players around him... I do think however, we''re perhaps a defender or two short at present, and Mackay and Fleming are getting on a bit...

Haven''t decided who I think we should look at for right midfield, but I''ll let you know when I''ve identified someone...

Just a quick observation, how weird is it that the National team is crying out for a left midfielder and we''ve got two decent (but ''foreign'') ones whilst we can''t find a decent right midfielder, and there seems to be millions of them for England...

The Excellent Shackell, Briggs if he patches things with NW and Jim Brennan should provide defensive cover. After all its only ever our forwards that get long term injuries.

Don''t agree with the Kenton call, he was a pain in the backside when he was here - called in sick etc. Did his best to get a big contract elsewhere and now he can suffer the consequences. Do we have two decent left-midfielders? I know small Paul is fantastic but I prefer him up front...

These positions are our current weak spots, with probably the right of midfield weaker than central defence as we do have Shackell to cover suspensions. Malky will, 9 games out
of 10, be good enough for the strikers in this league. And I say that as one of his fiercest critics!

However we do currently look weak on the right hand side of midfield. For whatever reason Rivers looks poor with no sign of a return to form. Henderson has been filling in but seems to get stuck as he apporaches the half way line. Mook mentions Briggs but I only see him as cover for Edworthy not midfield. Harper would give us some pace and touch of quality but there is no point signing him until he returns to fitness

And all this assumes that we will have some MORE cash to spend after signing two strikers when we did not think we had any available for 1 striker! Get a grip man - are we suddenly playing fantasy football!!!

What a great few days to be a city fan...

I agree another defender or midfielder would be a better option than a third new striker.
It would strengthen other departments and not push Jarvis so far down the order that he never gets even a run out as sub.

I am now living in Southampton and the reason Kenton hasn''t played is purely down to a couple of injuries he is now getting back to fitness and he has been in the bench a couple of times, I think he might make the side soon so I don''t think we will get him back plus Strachan thinks very highly of him.

Why is Rivers playing so badly? Is it following the injury after being top scorer or just the NW black spot weighing him down?

I think that getting the strikers in now IS the best idea coz u have to score goals to go up. Half way through the season and we have got one of the best defence records in the league but we are trailing behind a bit on the scoring side behind the likes of Sheff Utd, Ipswich and Cardiff who have got the options up front. West Ham and Sunderland are a big disappointment 4 me as a neutral but as a Canary it''s GREAT!

Agree with zipper about Harper - I liked what I saw of him before he got injured. Solid in the tackle and good coming forward, with an eye for the strikers'' runs. I would rather save the pennies and buy him when he''s fit, than pay money for Svensson. That''s if we have to choose...