Sign in to follow this  
Bundy

Different planet (Worthy comments)

Typical worthy.

“I thought it was outstanding.”
“We had to earn the right to play, as you have to against Sheffield United, and we went out there and gave an excellent account of ourselves.”
“Overall it was very pleasing and now we''ve got to keep this going.”
“There is a real belief here and some very good signs. There''s a buzz about the place and that''s good to see.”

Whilst we’re all pleased about putting one over on Warnock, the comments from Worthington only serve to show how divorced from reality he is.

Admittedly I didn’t go, but listened to the commentary (incidentally Waller & Adams are now obviously in the WO camp, or are at least critical of the style). Hoofball is not unkind.

“I thought it was outstanding.”

Quite plainly it wasn’t. In no way possible was it outstanding. Just OK and good result.

“We had to earn the right to play”

What the hell does that mean? He’s got so caught up in his own version of football-speak he doesn’t know what he’s saying anymore. A random array from his own limited list of one-liners. The only thing missing was ''first class''. I think he''s trying to say that it''s a difficult division. It really isn''t a particularly tough year.

“Overall it was very pleasing and now we''ve got to keep this going.”

OK it was pleasing. But only because of whom we were playing. Each week, if we win ‘we’ve got to keep this going’ if we lose ‘’we got to get back to the training ground and work hard’. Banal.

Worthy obviously has a very strict regime in interviews. He only criticizes the players very rarely, and the rest of the time says very little of consequence at all. A different version of the Wenger/Fergie technique (although not so cock-eyed ref-wise). It’s a good policy, until you start saying stuff that’ so obviously utter rubbish. Little boy who cried Wolf – if you talk rubbish enough, people take no notice anymore. He may as well say nothing at all.

“There is a real belief here and some very good signs. There''s a buzz about the place and that''s good to see.”

I just don’t know what to say about that. ‘Buzz about the place’ I ask you. It is a sign of arrogance in the extreme that those majority/significant minority critical are not even worthy of acceptance.

I tend to think that we’ll probably do better next year, perhaps even make the play-offs, but it could be oh so much better with the team and resources we have.
It is gamble getting rid of Worthy, as we could get someone worse, quite possible.
But it is a bigger gamble keeping him if we really want to establish ourselves in the Premiership, which has to be the ambition. A bit like if England win the World Cup (it will be largely despite Eriksson rather than because of him), we will continue to do OK purely on the quality of the squad. He has to go no later than October, or we’ll have to face up to what might have been.

Best part of the afternoon was Waller and Adams trying in vain to talk over ‘one-nil up and you’ve f*ck*d it up’ from the snakepit.

Bundy ! What do you have against working hard?  Most successful sportsmen and indeed anyone who succeeds in any thing has to do this, ask Sir Stephan Redgrave .5 gold medals. Try telling him they came easy.  You say it could be so much better,  I agree, but only if we use the skills we have and honing them with hard work and application while training.  Then by producing more of the same on match day.  OTBC!!!!

Bundy, I think you''re being a little harsh, and as you say, you weren''t there.

Earning the right to play made perfect sense. Sheff were determined to bully us in the opening stages. We stood up to them and gradually got on top as the half wore on. I''m amazed there were no cards because it was quite a physical game. Neither team got it down and played much good football, but when we did we really hurt them. I have to say, despite all the recent goings on and some dire performances, this was as good as and very similar to many of the performances in the promotion season. To beat the team second in the league at this stage of the season IS an outstanding achievement, they are where they are because they have been consistently good. And what manager doesn''t say ''we''ve got to keep this going''? It''s hardly worth criticising him for, not many managers are very good with words are they? And frankly, who cares, it''s the footballing performance not the menia performance that matters.

And if we do keep playing like that then not many people will want a change of manager any more. That''s the big IF though.

[quote user="beelsie"]Bundy ! What do you have against working hard?  Most successful sportsmen and indeed anyone who succeeds in any thing has to do this, ask Sir Stephan Redgrave .5 gold medals. Try telling him they came easy.  You say it could be so much better,  I agree, but only if we use the skills we have and honing them with hard work and application while training.  Then by producing more of the same on match day.  OTBC!!!![/quote] I agree in principal but I get the impression Worthy would sometimes happily sacrifice skill for hard work sometimes. If the players tr y hard he''s happy - but that isn''t always good enough!Yes you need hard work but against better teams and especially in the prem, you will get found out if quality is lacking. Yes having hard working players is great and you can''t fault their commitment but you need hard working players who have skill in abundance too to really be successful!