Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Extra Injury Time Could Be Due Soon

****-housery should not be rewarded.

If you actually read the article, some are also suggesting the game has 60 mins of actual playing time.

I'd prefer the same approach as Rugby whereby the clock counts down rather than up and stops when the play does. 

Refs need to be harsher on time wasting, with auto yellow cards.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

All it needs is the ref to say time off and then time on. And a hooter to end the game.

and some music played inbetween off and on.

To be fair, everyone was up in arms about it at the start of the World Cup and how ridiculous it was. But by the end of it, many more people were starting to get on board with the idea, and players seemed to accept that their pathetic antics ultimately won't bring about any tangible benefit. By the end of the World Cup, the 10 minute plus injury times became less frequent.

It will suck at the start of the season, but if after a few weeks or months it stops an ugly and widespread part of football, it'll be worth the pain. And I'm not preaching this from a moral high ground, we have been pretty appalling with it in the past few seasons.

Though we're certainly not the worst, Newcastle are making a strong claim for that one. Their game against Arsenal at the start of January was absolutely atrocious.

Watford here (and at their place) were a joke this season - though I think I’m right that there was rightly 9 or 10 mins of injury time added? There ought to be something more ‘official’ about it as some refs are ridiculously lenient.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

All it needs is the ref to say time off and then time on. And a hooter to end the game.

With the recent PA failure, i think a contingency plan should be in place.  Therefore a pair of hooters to end the game please!! 😻 

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

With the recent PA failure, i think a contingency plan should be in place.  Therefore a pair of hooters to end the game please!! 😻 

So long as they're in proportion, nobody wants excessively long hooters.
And effort should be made to ensure both hooters are the same, again, nobody wants one hooter longer then the other

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scoop said:

And effort should be made to ensure both hooters are the same, again, nobody wants one hooter longer then the other

We could have the hooters weighed as part of the pre-match build-up, additionally volunteers could be picked out a hat, sweepstake style, to blow into them in equal measure to check for tonal imbalance too.   

...Or give them a good squeeze, if they're of that style.

Edited by Google Bot

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

and some music played inbetween off and on.

Yeah but our PA system is broken  so we'll have to look at the scoreboard, or ask the nearest steward 😉

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Would  a horn suffice?

Maybe players should be held accountable if they roll around faking injury and it takes 2-3 mins for said player to get up,maybe that player needs to stay off the field for that same amount of time before he can return.personally that would stop the fake injury’s,

Kings Lynn v Buxton this week, the ball was actually in play for 40 minutes only, the 4 officials did nothing about it at all

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

It’s important no-one tampers with the hooters though. Maybe they should be stored in a big chest?

• Haha 1

I guess there will always be a place for time wasting, feigning injury, "professional" fouls etc, simply to break up play and slow momentum of the attacking team, regardless of whether the clock stops or not 😔

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

If there are a large pair of hooters being shown towards the end of the game, time would become irrelevant........or just me ?? 

Mac

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'd prefer the same approach as Rugby whereby the clock counts down rather than up and stops when the play does. 

Refs need to be harsher on time wasting, with auto yellow cards.

If we take the rugby / American throw ball approach we would have 60 minute halves on our hands.

I don't think changing the way the time is managed is a good thing.

I do however feel the answer lies with showing yellow cards for time wasting more frequently and even starting to threaten reds if players persist.

I also liked that the World Cup was allowed to be more physical.

I am sick to the back teeth of watching strikers push the ball past a defender, act all big like a hard man, go shoulder to shoulder and crumple like a wet paper bag the moment contact is initiated and they know they couldn't win the physical contest. Normally getting a free kick in the process.

Shoulder to shoulder is still legal in the laws of the game. Not being strong enough isn't a foul. Going down like a sack of spuds because you lost isn't a foul.

I saw it in a veterans league game the other week, the striker kicked the ball so hard it went out of play so shoulder charged a defender and went down and got a free kick. Ridiculous.