Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

drummer left feeling uneasy!

I Want a full samba band in the Barclay when the good weather comes.  One drummer is not enough....

Miami sound machine can't be doing much nowadays,  give them a free tickets, see if Gloria fancies a playoff final half-time show...

10 hours ago, Greavsy said:

I understand Harley isn't a season ticket holder and is regularly asking for tickets on FB etc. That's his choice of course, and I beleive he attends away games too so respect for that. But the drum is devisive, and he needs to understand that people voicing criticism of the drum aren't directing it at him personally. He does seem a bit delicate if he's got upset about someone passing comment about the placement of the drum. Not knowing all the details, but that person is like many on here most likely a season ticket holder of many years standing. 

I wonder if he will be nominated for "fan of the season" when that comes around again...... ☺ 

Yes, a drum is divisive at a football match. People get all funny and defensive when someone questions something they like, but the fact remains that for a percentage of fans a drum is annoying.  I can understand that, I don't like drums at football matches. And those that go to matches and don't like a drum pay for their tickets like anyone else, so why should they have to put up with it when it is spoiling their enjoyment?

Anyhow, for me one person should not dictate or be allowed to orchestrate fan noise by use of something that is annoying to other fans, even if it is a small number that don't like it. Goal music is another thing that shouldn't be necessary.  If fans can't get themselves going without some kind of external stimulus, then it is a sad state of affairs.  It's like people have forgotten how to be proactive in what they do and just rely on someone else to get them going - a bit like sitting there waiting for someone to show them how to have a good time rather than making the effort themselves. An atmosphere at a football match comes from people getting themselves motivated to create one - not one person banging a drum.

Having a drum, goal music, 321 etc, is part of the same mentality - the mentality that thinks that people need help to enjoy themselves. That may be true - but it's the same mentality as people who need to have a pint or two to be able to start letting their hair down. At least having a drink is a choice you make, but with a drum you have no choice - you can't ignore it, the noise is too obtrusive. 

It's not a pop concert where you go to hear music and a beat, it's a football match, so imo, it should be that you have as much artificial noise and music as you like before a match, but once the match starts, the football should take over allowing for natural reaction from fans, without the need for a drum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

His mum said there would be "no repercussions", which should be good news for those who don't like the drum.

Badum-dum tish.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Bali Canary said:

Lets get back to the good old days

71zfaWB921L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Loved the old rattle been clipped across the head a few times at CR by excited fans

I'm in favour of the drum, but not the way that it is currently used.  Take the England band for example, they probably play for no more than 10 minutes during the match, but when they do they get the whole ground going.  The drum at Carrow Road is being played for 80 minutes and it does get a tad repetitive. It's a skill to know when to use it, I'm not sure you can study that at Southampton University unfortunately.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Just before Millwall away. I'm sure their fans will be sympathetic when they come across that article.

My understanding is they didnt get permission for the drum from Millwall.

11 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That makes sense.

The knuckle-draggers in SE16 get wound up by just the thought of a drum

Wonder if Harley or his mum will cry to the press about that refusal....... 

Edited by Greavsy

I must admit it was stunning at Bristol when the hundreds turned up with the banner and the drum. They support the club home and away and they do it their way which is fine by me. Admittedly I don't go to any home matches but it does seem a bit petty to me that some people don't get it that the atmosphere is all important at a football match. The endless yarmy chant gets a rhythm and a cadence that hopefully inspires our players.

It has to be our fanbase that claims the drum is too loud for a football match. Or that they just don't like it and they should be allowed to sit in silence. The sanitizing of football 🙂 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It has to be our fanbase that claims the drum is too loud for a football match. Or that they just don't like it and they should be allowed to sit in silence. The sanitizing of football 🙂 

Seemed to do alright for atmosphere under Farke and Lambert ,without the need for a drum.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, a drum is divisive at a football match. People get all funny and defensive when someone questions something they like, but the fact remains that for a percentage of fans a drum is annoying.  I can understand that, I don't like drums at football matches. And those that go to matches and don't like a drum pay for their tickets like anyone else, so why should they have to put up with it when it is spoiling their enjoyment?

Anyhow, for me one person should not dictate or be allowed to orchestrate fan noise by use of something that is annoying to other fans, even if it is a small number that don't like it. Goal music is another thing that shouldn't be necessary.  If fans can't get themselves going without some kind of external stimulus, then it is a sad state of affairs.  It's like people have forgotten how to be proactive in what they do and just rely on someone else to get them going - a bit like sitting there waiting for someone to show them how to have a good time rather than making the effort themselves. An atmosphere at a football match comes from people getting themselves motivated to create one - not one person banging a drum.

Having a drum, goal music, 321 etc, is part of the same mentality - the mentality that thinks that people need help to enjoy themselves. That may be true - but it's the same mentality as people who need to have a pint or two to be able to start letting their hair down. At least having a drink is a choice you make, but with a drum you have no choice - you can't ignore it, the noise is too obtrusive. 

It's not a pop concert where you go to hear music and a beat, it's a football match, so imo, it should be that you have as much artificial noise and music as you like before a match, but once the match starts, the football should take over allowing for natural reaction from fans, without the need for a drum.

Great post. 

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

Guarantee Harley, a young 24 year old, puts far more into trying to support our team and create an atmosphere than the awkward f*cker moaning.

I hope he's one of the miserablists that doesn't bother renewing and Harley can get on with trying to get fans behind the team. 

The lower barclay has been a pathetic excuse for support, as has the snakepit this season until the last game. With the drum the barclay has been fairly decent.

..for some balance; often sadly lacking here:

It's a bit more nuanced than this; the person (I believe) who 'complained', is profoundly deaf and accompanies games with a family member. **If it is him**, he mentioned to me that he went to Section Head Steward at Half-Time and complained/asked what the long term plan was for the drummer. Section Head offered alternative seat (Which he is entitled to turn down as he attends with family member).

Steward also said that people in the Barclay E block had been consulted by the club in written form. I can vouch that I have not been contacted (I am on the back row of E Block and about 5 seats away from the Drummer). Maybe @Duncan Edwards can shed light as he sits in-front of me?

I can also confirm the person in question is not a whinger and most certainly will be renewing; given his suspected age I reckon he trumps most on here for loyalty.

I am happy to say that despite my initial fears of the Drummer and his 'Entourage', I am now a fan of them and appreciate their efforts to generate an atmosphere - their opening night was spent mouthing off to anyone in immediate radius an acting like Poundland Danny Dyer's and was, frankly embarrassing.

Looking forward to seeing Harley at the next home game.

PEACE

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

their opening night was spent mouthing off to anyone in immediate radius an acting like Poundland Danny Dyer's and was, frankly embarrassing.

he does seem to have a bit of previous.

image.png.60cbd4c44ee1dda5a9d92104ff40fffe.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Seemed to do alright for atmosphere under Farke and Lambert ,without the need for a drum.

Yeah, which would be fine if we were still producing that atmospshere without the drum. This season we demonstrably are not. The long-term solution might not be the drum but it certainly is short-term.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, which would be fine if we were still producing that atmospshere without the drum. This season we demonstrably are not. The long-term solution might not be the drum but it certainly is short-term.

I'm sure with the continuing upturn since Wagners appointment,  when has brought renewed optimism the atmosphere will return to those levels as we climb into the playoffs......

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

he does seem to have a bit of previous.

image.png.60cbd4c44ee1dda5a9d92104ff40fffe.png

Maybe he will get his mum to protect him again . Poor flower.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Maybe he will get his mum to protect him again . Poor flower.

It amazes me that someone who stands behind banners declaring their views has got upset over a comment regarding his drum placement. The comment wasn't even made directly to him, but via the correct channels.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

It amazes me that someone who stands behind banners declaring their views has got upset over a comment regarding his drum placement. The comment wasn't even made directly to him, but via the correct channels.

Of course he can still love the club, go to every game home and away and still protest because he would like new owners.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Of course he can still love the club, go to every game home and away and still protest because he would like new owners.

Agreed 100%, as can the people who dont like the drum, and particularly the person who complained that Harley has, according to his mum, been upset by.

2 hours ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

It's a bit more nuanced than this; the person (I believe) who 'complained', is profoundly deaf and accompanies games with a family member. **If it is him**, he mentioned to me that he went to Section Head Steward at Half-Time and complained/asked what the long term plan was for the drummer. Section Head offered alternative seat (Which he is entitled to turn down as he attends with family member).

Steward also said that people in the Barclay E block had been consulted by the club in written form. I can vouch that I have not been contacted (I am on the back row of E Block and about 5 seats away from the Drummer). Maybe @Duncan Edwards can shed light as he sits in-front of me?

I can also confirm the person in question is not a whinger and most certainly will be renewing; given his suspected age I reckon he trumps most on here for loyalty.

I am happy to say that despite my initial fears of the Drummer and his 'Entourage', I am now a fan of them and appreciate their efforts to generate an atmosphere - their opening night was spent mouthing off to anyone in immediate radius an acting like Poundland Danny Dyer's and was, frankly embarrassing.

PEACE

How dare you give some context!  It does frame things somewhat differently and it is pretty disgusting that the ‘journalists’ for the pinkun couldn’t be bothered to do any legwork behind the story, merely post a nice long piece about how great this Harley guy is and how upsetting it is for him. Classic poor local journalism, sadly.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What about a drum machine?

What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

You only need to punch a song into a drum machine once.

8 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

You only need to punch a song into a drum machine once.

What do you call a man who hangs around with musicians?

A Drummer.

2 hours ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

PEACE

Great to see you posting.

I can't help but wonder about Wattsy and his little book of ground regulations...

🙃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

PEACE

No consultation as far as I’m aware. As you’ve said, the chap in question has been there for as long as I can remember, is a great bloke, a good laugh and travels a significant distance to be there week in, week out.

The main gripe he voiced to me was that the drum being so close to him meant it was ALL he could hear.

Im not particularly arsed either way, a bit of me thinks it’s sad we think it’s necessary, I also think that Covid meant that folk realised the importance of other things in their lives, were pissed off that we had to watch us play super stuff from their living room and then when we returned we were treated to a dismal relegation, the sacking of the most connected manager to the fans I can remember and then SmithBall.

The other genuine consideration I’ve had, as JSLT will remember, is that for years PC Watts, the Beast, would harass us relentlessly to sit down and try and force us to read the ground regulations in order that if he came back he could clearly indicate that we’d read and understood them, continued to break them and were therefore ripe for ejection. It led to the stewards walking up the stairs halting at each row to try and force us to sit before some scamp would shout “STAND UP IF YOU HATE THE SCUM” and the whole charade started again. It was funny to a point, but the club have now - it seems - sanctioned deliberate breaches of ground regulations which is probably ropey ground, not that I really care.

The one thing I DO object to is the harem that surround him that clearly do not hold tickets in the area. Couldn’t get near my usual and paid for spot. If you want terracing, put it in (oh, you can’t). It’s great there’s another generation coming through, it’s essential, however, people like this chap are not just flotsam and jetsam, they’re every bit as important.

It’s not really that complicated, I’m sure it’s workable but it also shouldn’t be another reason for divide, as seems the norm in everything these days. Get the club engaged, perhaps give the group first dibs if a group of seats become available, I dunno. Allowing them to ride roughshod over people that have stood and supported the club home and away for years and years is probably not the route I’d choose.

🤷🏻‍♂️ As JSLT said: PEACE 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

This presupposes this little group are onside with the drum. In the away game at Wigan, where admittedly we did not play well, it didn’t take them long to play that ridiculous ‘We never win at home etc’ song. This was despite the fact that we had won at home 4 days previously and had won 2 of the previous 3 away games. I can’t really see how that helps the atmosphere!!