Sign in to follow this  
Ward 3

Signings for next season under wagner

Who would you like to see us sign being realistic?

For me jerry Yates from Blackpool, 25/26 years old, consistently scores and assists a few during the seasons, can't be on a massive wage

Ilias Chair from QPR, similar age amd goals/assists as Yates, probably on a bit of a bigger wage but exciting player to watch attacking wise.

We desperately need a striker but we're going to have to push the boat out bigtime.

Wagner clearly not happy with our LB options, so expect another wingback.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

We desperately need a striker but we're going to have to push the boat out bigtime.

Wagner clearly not happy with our LB options, so expect another wingback.

Mumba coming back will/could be the replacement

As I understand it, we've spent the next two years parachute payments already.

So the first question should be, who are you going to sell in order to fund any incoming transfers?

7 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

So the first question should be, who are you going to sell in order to fund any incoming transfers?

Don't we only get 2 years? I thought you needed to stay up for more than one season to get 3 years. Could have misunderstood though. 

8 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

what are you basing this on? Not being confrontational, just not seen anything that confirms this.

18 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We need money to buy these players !

Or we could develop some of the very good young players we already have.

Jonathon Rowe        19

Andrew Omobamidele     20

Liam Gibbs     20

Christof Tzolis     21

Adam Idah     22

Daniel Barden     22

Sam McCullum     22

Marcellino Nunez     22

Josh Sargent     23

Max Aarons     23

Gabriel Sarah     23

Plus others out on loan (Mumba, Springett, Tomkinson etc).

Plus others coming through U21, U18.

We have the basis of a good team, it just needs one or two players to boost the positions we are short of and patience from the supporters.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Or we could develop some of the very good young players we already have.

Jonathon Rowe        19

Andrew Omobamidele     20

Liam Gibbs     20

Christof Tzolis     21

Adam Idah     22

Daniel Barden     22

Sam McCullum     22

Marcellino Nunez     22

Josh Sargent     23

Max Aarons     23

Gabriel Sarah     23

Plus others out on loan (Mumba, Springett, Tomkinson etc).

Plus others coming through U21, U18.

We have the basis of a good team, it just needs one or two players to boost the positions we are short of and patience from the supporters.

I’d imagine if we don’t go up, Aaron’s will get the big move he has been touted with for what feels like decades

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, pete said:

Saxon Earley could have filled LB but not know.  Thanks Webber again.

Judging by his defending for Plymouth yesterday, this is unlikely. When we initially bought McCallum, he wasn't ready and was loaned back to Coventry in league one. Earley will improve but his defending yesterday suggests he's not yet ready for league one. He did score though.

Surely it all depends where we finish? If we go up then it will be a different attitude let alone amount. If we don't then I think there may well be the basis for a push with the majority of the current squad. One or two additions, hopefully, could see us mount a real challenge.

• Like 1

Other than Aarons, I'd suspect we may see Gian & Rashica both sold to create funds. I also think Pukki, along with Krul & Byram will also go, due to contracts ending, so that would also free up salary funds.

Aren't we due to sing Thiallsson (or something like that the Brazilian defender) which was held up during Jan.

Wonder if we'll try Tzolis as a striker, as he's different to the physical attributes of Sarg & Idah. Not sure Tzolis has the pace as a swinger.

Sara & Nunez starting to come, so would love to see a ball playing defender to strengthen us at the back. Was going to suggest Ryan Porteous but see Watford snapped him up in Jan!!!

7 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

what are you basing this on? Not being confrontational, just not seen anything that confirms this.

The financial statements, supported by Richens BTS video, clearly stated all the "parachute payments" (or future media income) had secured the £65m of short term loans that are repayable in full by May 2024. If that doesn't confirm that all the parachute payments are going to be used in repaying the £65m of loans then nothing will. 

Attanasio will restructure the debts in exchange for the recent share allotment however, which will free up the parachute payments for use in team building.

Centre backs and a captain are a minimum requirement imo.

Didn't Webber say we didn't have any funds at the start of this year, and then Sara was signed for £6m + add ons. With or without parachute payments we'll have money, as they'll still have a budget for summer transfers. Any sales will supplement that

18 hours ago, TESCO said:

Mumba coming back will/could be the replacement

We'd still at least two full backs, even with Mumba coming back. Wagner clearly doesn't trust Giannoulis and McCallum, Aarons will likely be sold as he'll be entering the final year of his contract and Byram is obviously not going to be kept on. 

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We'd still at least two full backs, even with Mumba coming back. Wagner clearly doesn't trust Giannoulis and McCallum, Aarons will likely be sold as he'll be entering the final year of his contract and Byram is obviously not going to be kept on. 

I think we were already looking at a right full back. We were linked with a Brazilian one last summer. The young Brazilian CB they wanted to bring here in January may well be able to play there too, Mumba is naturally right footed, not left. So I suspect they'd play him there if not used further up the pitch.

I don't think that Wagner is totally unconvinced by Giannoulis or McCallum. The latter was coming back from injury and played for the U21's on Friday so was not going to be in the matchday squad. Giannoulis may not be as defensively sound and Wagner may have wanted to put Sorensen in there simply because with Hernandez ahead of him he needed a steady player to be behind him. Just like when Drury played behind Huckerby. 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely it all depends where we finish? If we go up then it will be a different attitude let alone amount. If we don't then I think there may well be the basis for a push with the majority of the current squad. One or two additions, hopefully, could see us mount a real challenge.

Hopefully we don’t go up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Wonder if we'll try Tzolis as a striker, as he's different to the physical attributes of Sarg & Idah. Not sure Tzolis has the pace as a swinger.

I can’t see how that’s relevant? And surely a swinger is better taking their time, unless it’s in the initial rush to grab the car keys? 🤨

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much more of a forward winger these days which is where he's always played best. Little too lightweight for a fullback.

He was a midfielder when we signed him, converted to a full back, and at Plymouth he's playing as a wing back. I don't think he's ever been used as an actual winger, except for maybe that brief sub appearance against Swansea.

Difficult question without knowing what division we are going to be in, and which players we'd be able to successfully shift, but I've said George Cox at left back before, currently playing in Holland for Fortuna Sittard.

I think he's an absolute gem, but Blackburn desperate to land him so would be some competition for his signature.

I think left back is a problem area for us, I've never been wholly convinced by McCallum (although do like having a full back with aerial ability!) and Giannoulis is ridiculously inconsistent.

I'd be happy if we signed Cox, cut our losses on Giannoulis and went with Cox and McCallum next season, and wouldn't surprise me if this would be budget neutral as should imagine Giannoulis is on some serious money? 

Also, I hope we're keeping half an eye on Jacob Murphy at Newcastle, they are bound to drop big money on an upgrade soon, probably the summer, and yet I think he walks into our team as a right winger and he's full of goals at this level. He can put himself around a bit more these days, filled out and stronger defensively, would 100 percent be a good addition... Still a decent age as well, bring him home.

I suspect an obvious bit of budget cutting would be getting Krul off the pay role there is any interest left in Holland and replacing with an experienced keeper on a lower wage to compete with Gunn. Preferably somebody who has been around the block and played a fair bit of Championship football, no ideas on who though really.

Obviously need a defensive midfielder, might be a decent one floating around in Bundesliga 2 or Scandinavia? Again, no real ideas, should imagine it would cost too much to steal the current number 1 DM from any top half Championship side. We're desperate to find a new Tettey!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten