Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Canaries V Bluebirds*

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Hindsight???? We'd all been calling for it since the summer, in fact many pretty much since the day he walked into the joint. Was always a bloody ridiculous appointment 

Just because you were calling for it doesn't mean it has any sense to it. On paper he was a sound appointment.

Beyond that, you had no way of knowing whether the replacement would be a success.

Wagner's excellent and it's working well, but it really doesn't prove any great foresight for those who were banging on to get rid of Smith way before we started sliding down from the top of the table.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Strange decision to move Sorensen over to the right and then sub him with Omo.
At Millwall I would reinstate Demi or Mac and go with the rest as today. Sorensen just didn't cut it for me today

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Just because you were calling for it doesn't mean it has any sense to it. On paper he was a sound appointment.

Beyond that, you had no way of knowing whether the replacement would be a success.

Wagner's excellent and it's working well, but it really doesn't prove any great foresight for those who were banging on to get rid of Smith way before we started sliding down from the top of the table.

*Bangs head on nearest wall* 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Weird game where we were in control throughout really but was fairly dull for majority of match. Despite that we created numerous clear-cut chances which has to be a good thing.

I'm going to keep banging-the-drum that we need the drum. I can only assume those who think it doesn't positively impact the atmosphere haven't graced Carrow Road this season, in which case how can you even have a view?

No PA = better

strange game, neither team played well. Glad we got the win but a long way to go. Wagner has got a long way to go with this lot.

If we could cut out the random football amnesia when we just forget how to play football for a while that’d be great.

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

First goal.

OTBC

Remember when we had a player who could hit those?? Then he got Epstein-Barr Syndrome and was never the same. 

Dammit, Stiepi, you gloriously unpredictable bugga.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thats what you deserve for playing six defenders and 11 at the back you Welsh c nuts😂

*glowers in Yma o Hyd* 😉

38 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Shout for Sorenson. Very solid at both left and right back. No alarms!

And no surprises? With Dimi you get both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You're still wrong. Whilst I was not entirely certain about him, I didn't want him sacked in the Summer and his start to the season was somewhat promising. However, by December it was entirely clear that he should go. Therefore, it is still not hindsight; it was just a correct assessment of the situation.

• Like 5

Easy win against the worst team to visit Carrow Rd this season apart from us. Should have been more goals.

Really poor quality game, glad it's over but another 3 points.

Three home wins in a row, it's been a while since we've enjoyed that.

Some really big games coming up...

Tough crowd on here!

I thought it was a really good City performance overall, but a couple of areas where we could definitely have improved.

at the start Cardiff were on top, but we worked very hard to stop them with lots of blocks and one good early save by Gunn. 

After the first 20 minutes we were on top and largely stifled them while regularly creating chances, and scoring 2 very good goals while keeping a clean sheet.

yes we should have scored more, both Idah and Pukki were through for 1v1s and neither hit the target. But if not a 90-minute performance (which is as rare as hens teeth) this was a good 70 minute performance and very promising for the rest of the season. If people think this was poor then I’m flabbergasted frankly.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, All the Germans said:

You're still wrong. Whilst I was not entirely certain about him, I didn't want him sacked in the Summer and his start to the season was somewhat promising. However, by December it was entirely clear that he should go. Therefore, it is still not hindsight; it was just a correct assessment of the situation.

Nope. you're wrong. There was nothing clear about it until the break had happened and nothing positive came of it. Nor was there any guarantee the replacement would be an improvement.

Your argument is akin to pointing at a stopped clock that happens to be showing the right time to prove the clock works.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Nope. you're wrong. There was nothing clear about it until the break had happened and nothing positive came of it. Nor was there any guarantee the replacement would be an improvement.

Your argument is akin to pointing at a stopped clock that happens to be showing the right time to prove the clock works.

No he isn't wrong. We got a huge break with the fixtures at the start of the season and should have been clear at the top by several points. We weren't and the performances were poor. Several long term posters on this site who are sound judges knew what they were seeing and said so, only to be shouted down. There are some posters on this forum that perhaps warrant more attention than others and those whose opinions I trust were in agreement. 

I suspect that Smith didn't really want the job in the first place. He certainly never gave the impression that he did and his engagement with the club and its ethos was appalling. Add to that the physical state of his right hand man and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm afraid professional footballers do not take kindly to being given advice by someone who is on the brink of being morbidly obese and nor should they. 

It also has to be said that Smith's admission that he left a group of senior players to sort out tactics on a match by match basis was quite extraordinary. That's what he was paid for. 

There are clearly problems with the atmosphere at Carrow Road at the moment. I'd put that down to PTSD! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No he isn't wrong. We got a huge break with the fixtures at the start of the season and should have been clear at the top by several points. We weren't and the performances were poor. Several long term posters on this site who are sound judges knew what they were seeing and said so, only to be shouted down. There are some posters on this forum that perhaps warrant more attention than others and those whose opinions I trust were in agreement. 

I suspect that Smith didn't really want the job in the first place. He certainly never gave the impression that he did and his engagement with the club and its ethos was appalling. Add to that the physical state of his right hand man and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm afraid professional footballers do not take kindly to being given advice by someone who is on the brink of being morbidly obese and nor should they. 

It also has to be said that Smith's admission that he left a group of senior players to sort out tactics on a match by match basis was quite extraordinary. That's what he was paid for. 

There are clearly problems with the atmosphere at Carrow Road at the moment. I'd put that down to PTSD! 

That's exactly the sort of nonsense that makes the guy's haters look so ridiculous, persisting with this stupid, unfounded, and unsubstantiated claim that he wasn't interested in doing his job . Of course he wanted the job.  Nobody forced him to take it; he'd announced prior to taking the job that he was taking time out of football.

Don't you feel even remotely ridiculous by arguing that someone who has spent the best part of 10 years building a decent reputation as a manager in the Championship and Premier League would actively take on something with a view to just taking the money and failing?

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's exactly the sort of nonsense that makes the guy's haters look so ridiculous, persisting with this stupid, unfounded, and unsubstantiated claim that he wasn't interested in doing his job . Of course he wanted the job.  Nobody forced him to take it; he'd announced prior to taking the job that he was taking time out of football.

Don't you feel even remotely ridiculous by arguing that someone who has spent the best part of 10 years building a decent reputation as a manager in the Championship and Premier League would actively take on something with a view to just taking the money and failing?

Depends how much money. He is hardly honourable or principle orientated. If he was then when he took time out of football you’d presume it was to be with his family or something more personally important, only to chuck this idea away in a heartbeat. It’s perfectly reasonable to assert that he saw us a a quick top up of his finances for a quick two year stint where he saw it as having nothing to lose and all to gain. To get a wedge from a club you have no connection to knowing they’re keeping you if you go down or not is easy money. The **** poor tactics and early training sessions to play golf at Dunston Hall (true) every afternoon suggest his heart wasn’t really in it. The not so subtle digs at the fans suggested he started to get fed up of the tenure. The shocking spell over Christmas (after an all expenses jolly to the states was done) almost confirmed what most were saying previously. Yes, loads of conjecture. Everyone is free to believe what they want, I know which camp I’m on. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Depends how much money. He is hardly honourable or principle orientated. If he was then when he took time out of football you’d presume it was to be with his family or something more personally important, only to chuck this idea away in a heartbeat. It’s perfectly reasonable to assert that he saw us a a quick top up of his finances for a quick two year stint where he saw it as having nothing to lose and all to gain. To get a wedge from a club you have no connection to knowing they’re keeping you if you go down or not is easy money. The **** poor tactics and early training sessions to play golf at Dunston Hall (true) every afternoon suggest his heart wasn’t really in it. The not so subtle digs at the fans suggested he started to get fed up of the tenure. The shocking spell over Christmas (after an all expenses jolly to the states was done) almost confirmed what most were saying previously. Yes, loads of conjecture. Everyone is free to believe what they want, I know which camp I’m on. 

More ridiculous, baseless speculation.

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Based on his attitude whilst here and the fact that he left the players to sort out the tactics I fail to see how I could draw any other conclusion. 

In 55 years of following this club I have never heard of a manager with that approach. Plenty have sought the views of the players but he is the only one who has completely abdicated responsibility 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Based on his attitude whilst here and the fact that he left the players to sort out the tactics I fail to see how I could draw any other conclusion. 

Oh Jesus Christ, move on. A number of people whined and moaned immediately about not getting your own way, you got your own way and you still whine, moan, and attack the guy's character. If people stuck to criticising the football performance it'd be fair enough, but these sad little small-minded idiots insisting on attacking the guy's character for their own stupid prejudices against him is ugly .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Oh Jesus Christ, move on. A number of people whined and moaned immediately about not getting your own way, you got your own way and you still whine, moan, and attack the guy's character. If people stuck to criticising the football performance it'd be fair enough, but these sad little small-minded idiots insisting on attacking the guy's character for their own stupid prejudices against him is ugly .

Whining and moaning or making evidence based criticism? For goodness sake. 

And in case you hadn't realised, this is what this forum is for. I'm afraid not everyone is always going to agree with everything you say. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Smith did spend a ell of a lot of time down the golf course. 

We did get to see some of the most turgid football for many seasons with him too. 

34 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Says the man who  believes  than you can keep a sinking ship afloat by merely  cheering more.!!! 

• Haha 2

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Says the man who  believes  than you can keep a sinking ship afloat by merely  cheering more.!!! 

You forgot waving a flag 😊

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

And in case you hadn't realised, this is what this forum is for. I'm afraid not everyone is always going to agree with everything you say. 

It's why he's in france , cos no one can be bothered to argue with him there, his pontifications are met with a disinterested Gallic shrug..... and being a narcissist, Birdyo assumes they  agree with him.

Edited by wcorkcanary

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This forum's not here for making stupid abusive comments about people's character and motives without foundation, as is frequently the case with anyone involved in the running of the club when results aren't good, not just Smith.

The focus should be the overall comparison not just snippets. Even in our good run under Smith we were unable to create the same amount of good quality chances as we are under Wagner, we don't look any worse defensively for it and Wagners football is more entertaining.

The other important note is how Wagner seems to have made players better as opposed to worse. Aarons was half the player under Smith, Sara was never given a defined role and Nunez fell of a cliff but Wagner seems to have recovered him 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The focus should be the overall comparison not just snippets. Even in our good run under Smith we were unable to create the same amount of good quality chances as we are under Wagner, we don't look any worse defensively for it and Wagners football is more entertaining.

The other important note is how Wagner seems to have made players better as opposed to worse. Aarons was half the player under Smith, Sara was never given a defined role and Nunez fell of a cliff but Wagner seems to have recovered him

All of this.

I never felt I watched enough of our games to definitively say "Smith must go" - but the sense that no player really improved under him, and plenty regressed, was always the big worry for me. Results come and go - it's performances, both individual and team, that we have to judge. And those who were dissatisfied with both under Smith were right.

I agree with @littleyellowbirdie that personal abuse or unfounded speculation is unnecessary; where we probably part company is my belief that it was pretty easy to build a case against Smith without resorting to that - there was clearly enough to go on just from watching the team play.

(Also, I have no interest in getting into a debate on this. Positions are entrenched and mind-changing is unlikely at this late stage. Just saying my piece and leaving it at that.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This forum's not here for making stupid abusive comments about people's character and motives without foundation, as is frequently the case with anyone involved in the running of the club when results aren't good, not just Smith.

Please point me to my "stupid and abusive" comments

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Please point me to my "stupid and abusive" comments

Instant image of Birdyo pointing at his own head.

• Haha 1