Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Dowell out until April

So plenty of opportunity for Tzolis, and possibly Rowe?

Big loss this though I feel, Dowell has been good under Wagner. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Big shame that.

It'll be interesting to see who steps in- Wagner keeps talking up Gibbs as someone who can play further up the pitch and as Dowell isn't an out and out winger it may be that someone like that could do the job.

Then we've got Tzolis and Marquinos who are both wildcards at this point.

Is Rowe back training now?

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Big shame that.

It'll be interesting to see who steps in- Wagner keeps talking up Gibbs as someone who can play further up the pitch and as Dowell isn't an out and out winger it may be that someone like that could do the job.

Then we've got Tzolis and Marquinos who are both wildcards at this point.

Is Rowe back training now?

Rowe still out I think.

Jonathan Rowe (ankle). Wagner does not expect him to be a first team option before mid-March. Underwent ankle surgery in early December. According to former boss Dean Smith he damaged ligaments in Tampa at the club's training camp. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

Bonkers as it may seem, as it feels way distant, but mid-March is only a few weeks away now - so we may well see Rowe in the first team squad before long. Hope he can get a decent run out for the u21 side today.

Marquinhos or Tzolis will presumably come in for Dowell - Marquinhos hasn’t actually kicked a ball for us yet.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Bonkers as it may seem, as it feels way distant, but mid-March is only a few weeks away now - so we may well see Rowe in the first team squad before long. Hope he can get a decent run out for the u21 side today.

Marquinhos or Tzolis will presumably come in for Dowell - Marquinhos hasn’t actually kicked a ball for us yet.

If Marquinhos doesnt get any minutes tomorrow then there will be some big alarm bells sounding!

Yep I would expect to see Marquinhos and Pukki in. We need players staying fit this time of the season for consistency so losing Dowell is a blow. Hopefully Tzolis gets some more minutes too building up his fitness and confidence, 

It seems we have our first fans starting 11 conundrum for the first time in a while! 

Idah or Pukki (how fit?), Onel, Tzolis and Marquinhos (fitness levels again) - Gibbs ?

Be interesting to see the team selection tomorrow. 

All have a shout.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

And some people still seem to think we are getting promoted, ho ho ho.

Thankfuly Tzolis seems to be on the up, and hopefully Marquinhos will be ready to go soon but.. Big big blow more so combined with our current seemingly endless injury woes

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It seems we have out first fans starting 11 conundrum for the first time in a while! 

Idah or Pukki (how fit?), Onel, Tzolis and Marquinhos (fitness levels again) - Gibbs ?

Be interesting to see the team selection tomorrow. 

All have a shout.

I think Pukki will start on the bench, Gibbs in the starting 11.

Shame for Dowell , was starting to look on it again. Plenty options available though and given Wagners different approach to setting us up  , im not too concerned. Would like to see Marquinos for half an hour or so , just to see what he has. Tzolis has to feature unless injured, the confidence he must have got from scoring should be built upon. 

58 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If fit enough Tzolis should start then.

Wagner has a plan for him👍

The goal he scored the other night was excellent - he made it look so easy. Lots more to come from him.

• Like 1

Really gutted to read this.  Been an important part of Wagner's team - I really hope this means Tzolis will finally get a run in the team...I do think it'll be Gibbs coming in though.   I think primarily he'll want someone in there who's not going to give the ball away cheaply and willing to fight.

24 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Really gutted to read this.  Been an important part of Wagner's team - I really hope this means Tzolis will finally get a run in the team...I do think it'll be Gibbs coming in though.   I think primarily he'll want someone in there who's not going to give the ball away cheaply and willing to fight.

I think Dowell is a big blow because Wagner had somehow turned Dowell into that creative outlet who also tracked back, made tackles and had some tactical discipline off the ball. 

I think you're right it'll be Gibbs for now as we still need some bite in that midfield. In theory Tzolis should get some more minutes though?

Dowell is set to miss 8 possibly 9 matches then. 

It's a big blow but we have options for the no.10 role and wide right.

Luckily we have a large squad and will be a big advantage as we hit a real fixture glut between now and mid April. Other teams will suffer injuries as well.

It's a pity, as Dowell had started to come into form since Wagner came in.

But you're always going to get injuries, unfortunately.

Rowe played and scored for the U21s today  before being subbed off but I imagine they will ease him back slowly before getting first team minutes  

Really excited about him, seems to have the ability and the potential to be a player that we could never afford. I get the impression that he has a great mindset and work ethic too. 

Edited by NCFChapman
  • Like 1

Disappointing for both Dowell and the club, wonder whether this will affect the chances of a new contract if it hasn't been sorted already. I'd hope not.

If Pukki is fit I wouldn't be surprised to see him back with Nunez going into that wide right role. If it's Gibbs I'm in two minds, always happy to see our young players get minutes on the pitch but if we view his long term position as DM I don't think there's much overlap between the two positions. If he did play though it could possibly allow Sara some more freedom which would be a good thing.

2 minutes ago, repman said:

Disappointing for both Dowell and the club, wonder whether this will affect the chances of a new contract if it hasn't been sorted already. I'd hope not.

If Pukki is fit I wouldn't be surprised to see him back with Nunez going into that wide right role. If it's Gibbs I'm in two minds, always happy to see our young players get minutes on the pitch but if we view his long term position as DM I don't think there's much overlap between the two positions. If he did play though it could possibly allow Sara some more freedom which would be a good thing.

After Nunez' performance on Tue. he has to play at no. 10. He is the nearest I've seen to Maddison/Buendia in terms of influence & quality as a goalscoring playmaker - but he needs to be in that central position.

I'd keep Teemu on the bench, perhaps use as a late sub. Low on strikers now so we can't take any risks; I'm beginning to wonder if Tzolis might turn out to be a striker though? That was a really accomplished finish against Brum.

• Like 2

From what I've seen so far, Wagner doesn't like square pegs in round holes. That was Smith's favourite tricks and it doesn't work. 

That gives him a problem because at least one player has to play out of position. I think he'll put Gibbs next to Kenny,  Nunez on the right and Sara in the middle but that's far from perfect. 

It's a shame because Dowell was playing as well as he ever has for us, particularly defensively. 

Have we got a buy clause for marquinos? 

If we don't, we should play our own players

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Have we got a buy clause for marquinos? 

If we don't, we should play our own players

There is a less than 0 percent chance Marquinhos would choose to stay here and play in the Championship when he has the chance to play in a potential title winning arsenal side next season that's for sure, even if there was a chance of us buying him I don't see him wanting to stay.

46 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

There is a less than 0 percent chance Marquinhos would choose to stay here and play in the Championship when he has the chance to play in a potential title winning arsenal side next season that's for sure, even if there was a chance of us buying him I don't see him wanting to stay.

What colour is the sky in the world you live in? Do you think **** will drop Saka? 

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What colour is the sky in the world you live in? Do you think **** will drop Saka? 

Obviously he won't be a starter but the chance of being a part of a title winning arsenal side playing in europe at his young age even more so if he does well and impresses with us would be far too big a chance to turn down rather than stay with us.

If you really think he will be happy to sign a permant deal with us then I'm afraid you are the one living in nonsense land.

And yes, feel free to save this post in case he does sign for us permnantly and return here to gloat if he does 🤣

Edited by cambridgeshire canary