Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Could Pukki be off?

Pukki features in the Dug out Cam video against Brum thread....He seems relaxed and cheerful (for a quietly reserved Finn)..... 

.image.png.9703002969090041facccb650361d1c9.png.....I think he'll be plying his trade here until May at least....

From Teemu's point of view, he likes it here and is settled here, so if we were to go up in the summer I'm confident he'd sign a new contract if we offered it to him (which we should). I'd be very surprised if he was to up sticks and leave us in the middle of what is still a promotion push; he said he'd make a decision in the summer, and more options might become available to him then.

It'd be a bit daft to move to somewhere like Turkey now if there's a chance of a more lucrative deal or a better league in the summer (remember he has previously played in La Liga and the Bundesliga). I'm as confident as I can be that the scenario TVB posits in his OP will not come to pass.

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, if we don't go up hes off

He won’t be here especially if we go up!   Not a chance he’s going to risk a forlorn season watching his teammates struggle to get over the half-way line!   

We aren’t ready for promotion and he’s not stupid!    

He’ll have plenty of options!  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

25 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He won’t be here especially if we go up!   Not a chance he’s going to risk a forlorn season watching his teammates struggle to get over the half-way line!   

We aren’t ready for promotion and he’s not stupid!    

He’ll have plenty of options!  

You say that and yet Pukki himself came out and said (Or it could have been the club it was one of the two) that he was open to leaving two transfer windows ago and yet he got no offers in.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You say that and yet Pukki himself came out and said (Or it could have been the club it was one of the two) that he was open to leaving two transfer windows ago and yet he got no offers in.

He got no offers? You do realise that whilst under contract it's down to the club whether they want to sell him or not. I thought Teemu said we had received offers but declined them, much to his frustration. Nonetheless being the professional that he is he has got on with the job and will see out his contract.

He will leave at the end of the season unless he decides to accept the contract NCFC have already offered him, which so far he hasn't.

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I doubt it. His extra bit of quality is the one silver bullet we might have left this season, no way we would let him go and hope the fans are just OK with Idah, Sargent and Kamara as our strikers.

Since Wagner:

8 Goals, 6 Points from 4 games with him... 

6 Goals, 7 Points from 3 games without him..

Obviously we had Burnley in there when he was playing, but it's not exactly been barren on goals or points without.  As much as I love Pukki we should be really happy about this I think.

He is not our only hope anymore, and neither are we reliant on someone like Buendia.  If we can build and get into the playoffs with a more balanced squad then happy days!

Edited by Google Bot

48 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Since Wagner:

Obviously we had Burnley in there when he was playing, but it's not exactly been barren on goals or points without.  As much as I love Pukki we should be really happy about this I think.

He is not our only hope anymore, and neither are we reliant on someone like Buendia.  If we can build and get into the playoffs with a more balanced squad then happy days!

The thing is Pukki and Buendia were what made our good squad a great one by adding PL quality to a championship team. Having a balanced championship squad without any PL quality players is not necessarily better because without those star players you will struggle to beat teams. You can't have it both ways. 

I doubt he'll move now frankly.  Come the summer he's out of contract and with no transfer fee he'll find a comfortable move for another few years.

It would certainly be interesting if we go up and there's more money on the table here, I could see him being tempted to stay with Wagner's playing style suiting him.  

Say, let's get promoted and then we'll find out ?

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Having a balanced championship squad without any PL quality players is not necessarily better because without those star players you will struggle to beat teams. You can't have it both ways. 

We failed to survive with either player though, if you have individuals that make the difference at this level, then it's artificially raising the quality of squad.

That's why we got promoted and find that the whole team is under such additional pressure - that's why it's better to have build a balanced squad, and as we've got now - goals coming from all areas of the pitch (imo). 

You can still have stars raising above the rest, but such heavy reliance on players like Pukki and Buendia makes us very easy to stifle at the higher levels.

Just my opinion, of course.  "The whole is greater than the sum of all it's parts", as they say. 🙂

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Since Wagner:

I do agree, and I'm in no way saying that him not being in the team necessarily puts us at a serious disadvantage.

BUT

For me he's the 'guy' for Norwich, much like Sarr is at Watford, that player that makes the opposition worry at the sight of them on the teamsheet. If it came down to a 1v1 in the 86th minute at Wembley, I would pick Teemu for it no question. And that's why I don't think at this point we would ever consider sanctioning a move.

Even if, as Parma has alluded to with regards the Buendia sale, its just about the message it would send to the rest of the squad & the fans about how the club views the rest of this season.

4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

For me he's the 'guy' for Norwich, much like Sarr is at Watford, that player that makes the opposition worry at the sight of them on the teamsheet. If it came down to a 1v1 in the 86th minute at Wembley, I would pick Teemu for it no question. And that's why I don't think at this point we would ever consider sanctioning a move.

Oh I think any fan would be in agreement with that.  The day he leaves will be monumental in terms of defining a new era, and new talismen at this club.  It'll be incredibly sad, moreso for me is that he had to endure a couple of really crappy seasons with very little service.

I also don't think this break from the team is a bad thing at all, he's probably able to find a bit of headspace to take in the club and what it means to him, he's basically been watching the past few games as a supporter cheering the team on.   

It's in those moments where he may just feel the love and desire more than playing through injuries and carrying the weight of the team on your shoulders for many weeks.  Who knows.

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Some people jump to a lot of conclusions. Footballer's do not always necessarily chase the money.

Pukki seems quite a modest fellow, I would imagine the majority of the £10m plus he has earned at Norwich is now safely invested so will keep him financially sorted for life. Any decision he makes now will focus on what his young family need most at the moment. Sure, he could decide more money may be most important, but it could easily be their education and friendships that are more important. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays even if we don't get promoted, but my money is on a return to Finland! Family comes first.

I agree that money is likely not deciding factor, but I'd expect he would still want to challenge him on top level. Either EPL, Bundesliga or La Liga. As free transfer, he will sure have demand in those

1 hour ago, hepphep said:

I agree that money is likely not deciding factor, but I'd expect he would still want to challenge him on top level. Either EPL, Bundesliga or La Liga. As free transfer, he will sure have demand in those

You say that, but as much as he may wish to take on a challenge at the top level he may also not wish to now. As I said before, last summer was really the prime chance for him to go find that last big move. He could realistically get a three year deal, some security and have some time still to adapt to another league - he's mainly flopped there before, hence where he was before we signed him.

He may still feel he has another 3-4 years in him. At 33, the question will really be - does anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

You say that, but as much as he may wish to take on a challenge at the top level he may also not wish to now. As I said before, last summer was really the prime chance for him to go find that last big move. He could realistically get a three year deal, some security and have some time still to adapt to another league - he's mainly flopped there before, hence where he was before we signed him.

He may still feel he has another 3-4 years in him. At 33, the question will really be - does anywhere else. 

Cannot agree that he flopped. On his time in Spain, he was academy player who had one sub appearance before moving away for more minutes (and actually to play in european competitions). Year and a half from that and he was in Bundesliga top 5 club. On Bundesliga he did score around goal per 130 minutes ratio, which I would never call flop. Reason why he did not break through in Schalke was that they had Huntelaar on his prime as their main striker and they played with one forward. Therefore he moved after gametime to Celtic. Celtic period was awful, but it was not that he would not have had quality to play top leagues at that time already. Sometimes the team just plays in a way that does not suit for individual.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That's because it would have cost clubs quite a lot of money to get him......  now he can take his pick and are you really of the mindset no one will be interested!!!!    Surely not!