mastoola

Is Idah the worst striker to ever play for Norwich?

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

Just the constant abuse he was getting at the game today.

I get that a lot of people don't rate him, but screaming abuse at your own young player during a match is pretty low.

Honestly don't see the attraction in getting pissed up and slagging off one of your own 22-year old players (starting due to injuries) from just a few minutes into a home match. Hardly going to do his confidence the world of good and improve his finishing is it? 

I didn’t hear him getting abuse today ( in the Barclay) he was poor yet again but doesnt deserve abuse if he did get it.

15 minutes ago, Ian said:

Just the constant abuse he was getting at the game today.

I get that a lot of people don't rate him, but screaming abuse at your own young player during a match is pretty low.

Honestly don't see the attraction in getting pissed up and slagging off one of your own 22-year old players (starting due to injuries) from just a few minutes into a home match. Hardly going to do his confidence the world of good and improve his finishing is it? 

Are we talking a handful of people?

There are always a few diks in every group of people.

For balance, some of us in the Barclay sung his name.

Hes strong and held up the ball really well, has a turn of pace and helped us counter. Doesn't have natural striker instincts but he's doing a good job getting others involved in the game and he's been involved somewhat in most of our goals.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully I have not heard any abuse directed at Idah. It is not about his confidence, it is about respect, Whatever his deficiencies are as a player, they become more obvious by the week, he is wearing a yellow shirt. He deserves respect. Save any comments for the pub afterwards, or to anyone you are sat with.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Are we talking a handful of people?

There are always a few diks in every group of people.

It wasn't the majority for sure, but a very vocal group around me in lower Barclay block D with the usual "you're fing ****", "fing useless", "Wagner needs firing if he doesn't sub him off now" etc.

Don't know if there was much elsewhere but this had clearly been building up for some time. Sad.

Doesn’t deserve any abuse from his own fans (and certainly not at the game) but let’s be honest he really isn’t good enough.

decision to give a 5 year contract seems particularly stupid as effectively sets him up for life (if he’s sensible) and doesn’t give him any motivation to really strive to improve.

I couldn't quite hear what the Snake Pit were singing but it seemed a sarcy reference to the length of his contract.

Mind you we see this on here as well from those who never go to games.

20 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Doesn’t deserve any abuse from his own fans (and certainly not at the game) but let’s be honest he really isn’t good enough.

decision to give a 5 year contract seems particularly stupid as effectively sets him up for life (if he’s sensible) and doesn’t give him any motivation to really strive to improve.

Maybe not, but I suspect Celtic fans were saying similar things about Pukki. I know Norwich fans were certainly saying similar things about Sergeant last season too.

Football is a strange game and it isn't beyond the realms that Idah can start adding more goals to his game. He certainly has good physical attributes to give us an alternative option to the above two players.

Maybe this is his best level and he won't ever kick on, but I still don't understand why some fans need to have one of their own team to pick on during matches. Genuinely don't get the point.

I guess that now Martin left and Hanley and McLean are doing okay somebody has to pick the baton up...

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I couldn't quite hear what the Snake Pit were singing but it seemed a sarcy reference to the length of his contract.

Mind you we see this on here as well from those who never go to games.

The snake pit were singing about Pukki signing more years to his contract as he warmed up in front of them. Started at 1 more year, then 2, 3 etc so nothing to do with Adam.

Like everyone on here except Ian I never heard anyone slagging him off.

Edited by Hairy Canary

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

The snake pit were singing about Pukki signing more years to his contract as he warmed up in front of them. Started at 1 more year, then 2, 3 etc so nothing to do with Adam.

You suggesting I'm making it up? Hopefully limited to the people around me but I can assure you other people would also have heard it.

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

You suggesting I'm making it up? Hopefully limited to the people around me but I can assure you other people would also have heard it.

Not at all. No need to be defensive. Just pointing out that it wasn’t widespread. I was in the upper Barclay. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

They definitely referenced Idah in a sarcy follow up to the Pukki singing. Something along the lines of (to the same tune), “ he got 5 years, Idah, he got 5 years, oh Idah, he got 5 years”

if Idah has any sense he won’t let it bother him. Sargent was absolutely annihilated last year but is a cult hero this! 

Edited by Coneys Knee
  • Like 2

The chap can't buy a goal at the moment but even if he could i doubt he will ever have a 10 goal season in him.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The chap can't buy a goal at the moment but even if he could i doubt he will ever have a 10 goal season in him.

Definitely not a goal machine to date, but thought it was a tidy finish against Reading - not entirely sure how many appearances he has had since?

He looks to me like someone who has been big for his age throughout youth football and that has made him look better than he actually is. Now he's in pro football, his size and physical attributes don't stand out so much. My head says he isn't good enough and hasn't improved at all in the time he's been around the first team, BUT, he does have good pace and the club seem to like him, so they must see something in him. I'd love him to come good, I really would... People shouldn't get on his back at the ground, that's not on, but people are entitled to say he's crap in the pub or on here. That's life and he's getting paid a lot of money so he has to take the rough with the smooth unfortunately. However hard it might be sometimes.

• Like 2

I didn't hear any abuse directed toward him in the Upper Barclay. That said, I don't particularly rate him.

Interesting how people are condemning the abuse/lack of support/patience with "young Idah" when Billy Gilmour was getting ridiculed every week with few people defending him. I appreciate he was only a loan player but don't think the honest effort he put in was much less than Idah's (not a fan of Gilmour either just to point out).

Funny old game.

COYY.

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

It started as

“One more year Pukki one more year”

Then

”Got five years Idah got five years” 

however that only happened the once and we did that chant several times 

3 minutes ago, TESCO said:

It started as

“One more year Pukki one more year”

Then

”Got five years Idah got five years” 

however that only happened the once and we did that chant several times 

Fair enough I must admit I missed that. 

31 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

I didn't hear any abuse directed toward him in the Upper Barclay. That said, I don't particularly rate him.

Interesting how people are condemning the abuse/lack of support/patience with "young Idah" when Billy Gilmour was getting ridiculed every week with few people defending him. I appreciate he was only a loan player but don't think the honest effort he put in was much less than Idah's (not a fan of Gilmour either just to point out).

Funny old game.

COYY.

Loan players will always get more critisim due to them obviously only really being at your club for money or a chance to shine for their home club to pay attention to them, while youth players are one of our owns so tend to be defended more.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Loan players will always get more critisim due to them obviously only really being at your club for money or a chance to shine for their home club to pay attention to them, while youth players are one of our owns so tend to be defended more.

I also think a lot of the frustration with Gilmour was that Chelsea/Scotland fans/the media were telling us how wonderful he was, and that we should be playing him more and so on despite the evidence of our own eyes 

Still not right that he got abuse - hardly his fault he was hyped up so much.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

For balance, some of us in the Barclay sung his name.

Hes strong and held up the ball really well, has a turn of pace and helped us counter. Doesn't have natural striker instincts but he's doing a good job getting others involved in the game and he's been involved somewhat in most of our goals.

Yeah, this. 

He may not have a great first touch and his finishing can be erratic, but having a physically strong, 6'3" striker with decent pace is always pretty useful. Emile Heskey made a career out of it; 62 England caps and over 500 Premier League appearances, with a goals-per-game ratio across his entire career of less than one-in-five.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He looks to me like someone who has been big for his age throughout youth football and that has made him look better than he actually is. Now he's in pro football, his size and physical attributes don't stand out so much. My head says he isn't good enough and hasn't improved at all in the time he's been around the first team, BUT, he does have good pace and the club seem to like him, so they must see something in him. I'd love him to come good, I really would... People shouldn't get on his back at the ground, that's not on, but people are entitled to say he's crap in the pub or on here. That's life and he's getting paid a lot of money so he has to take the rough with the smooth unfortunately. However hard it might be sometimes.

This was seen today with Binner Wickham. Subbed at half time. Never became England's next Tommy Lawton, despite his physique and early promise.  Marquinhos today, showed Idah how it is done, as did Tzolis v Hull. How long can a player survive on supposed potential ?

I think he can become a good player.

A lot to learn and clearly footballing intelligence isn't coming naturally but it can improve with experience, and in terms of minutes he's not had a great deal of that.

Reminds me of Jay Bothroyd, a big strong player like that with a turn of pace who can hold off defenders will cause people problems at any level, he's still really young and fresh for that type of player, big strikers tend to peak in the second half of their 20s.

Can't help but feel he could work a bit harder off the ball though.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

They definitely referenced Idah in a sarcy follow up to the Pukki singing. Something along the lines of (to the same tune), “ he got 5 years, Idah, he got 5 years, oh Idah, he got 5 years”

if Idah has any sense he won’t let it bother him. Sargent was absolutely annihilated last year but is a cult hero this! 

I sit right next to the snakepit and I heard no reference to Idah only to Pukki as he was warming up 

as has been said it went 1 more year ,up to 9 more years at one point

Not sure what Wolfswinkel’s actual role was but watching him at Palace he was Rabbit in the Headlights.

38 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

This was seen today with Binner Wickham. Subbed at half time. Never became England's next Tommy Lawton, despite his physique and early promise.  Marquinhos today, showed Idah how it is done, as did Tzolis v Hull. How long can a player survive on supposed potential ?

5 years it seems.

Although he really should have scored the chance he missed today, I do have belief he can come good. We know Idah has over 60 appearances to his name, but we have to remember less than a quarter of them have been starts and you can’t expect a player to do well by giving them about 15 mins a game. It’s just like expecting someone in the starting XI to do well inside the first 15 mins

I know he was given a 5 year contract but I think it was because Wagner wants to work on developing him as he sees that he still has the potential to become good (he’s 22, not 32)

• Like 1

Idah needs a goal for confidence. Skyed a shot when through on goal but so did Pukki when he came on, didnt hear the same moaning. 
Wrong of fans to get on Idahs case. Encouragement is needed

• Like 1