mastoola

Is Idah the worst striker to ever play for Norwich?

44 minutes ago, KevinB said:

The OP reeks of “How to say you’re Pukki’s agent, without saying you’re Pukki’s agent” (. )(. )

If those brackets and full stops are supposed to be a pair of eyes I think I’ve got the wrong idea 

• Haha 3

You are all obviously too young to have seen Bryan Conlon...😍

Actually I think the problem with Idah is not that he is hopeless, which he isn't, but that so far he has not been anything like as good as successive coaches at the club have suggested he is or will be if he ever stays fit.

And that as a consequence he doesn't look like the striker fans know we need to fill the looming Pukki-sized hole in the squad. So far there is a significant disconnect between his performances/goal-scoring record and what is increasingly expected of him.

Here I go again. First what a ridiculous topic many constructive comments from others with which i agree

Give the lad some support.

Now back in the 1950s there was a young forward who was the butt of the crowd

His name RON ASHMAN. 662 games later that's who the ASHMAN BANK is named after

By raising this topic you only show your ignorance.

Thought he was excellent last night, deserved a goal but it wasn't meant to be. There is a question over whether he will be a good goalscorer but strikers are only as good as the chances they get, he had 1 last night and it took an excellent stop from Ruddy to deny him. It always amuses me when strikers are described as being too good for the championship but not being good enough for the PL, maybe they aren't as good as others in the top league but they go from playing in a side that creates countless chances for them every game to one that might be lucky to create 1 good one, of course they're not going to score as many. 

The other concern with Idah is his injury history, which is pretty extensive for a young player. The best attribute a player can have is availability so the new contract represents some risk, but if he stays fit then he will make a good contribution.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KevinB said:

The OP reeks of “How to say you’re Pukki’s agent, without saying you’re Pukki’s agent” (. )(. )

Id say  the OP reeks of little or no football knowledge . 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mastoola said:

I can not think of anyone worse.

Your post made me google some of our squads from the late '90s and early(ish) 2000s. A bygone age when we were truly spoilt with a plethora of attacking talent on our books. Just some names - Ottosson, Abbey, Peter Thorne, Renton, Dalglish (the son), Paul Hayes, Bloomfield.

Just checking that Adam is still bottom of the list?

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

You are all obviously too young to have seen Bryan Conlon...😍

Actually I think the problem with Idah is not that he is hopeless, which he isn't, but that so far he has not been anything like as good as successive coaches at the club have suggested he is or will be if he ever stays fit.

And that as a consequence he doesn't look like the striker fans know we need to fill the looming Pukki-sized hole in the squad. So far there is a significant disconnect between his performances/goal-scoring record and what is increasingly expected of him.

Bryan Conlon? Not the best by a country mile but doesn't come close to being our worst centre-forward(that's 'striker' for some of you young 'uns who don't know what a centre-forward was) 😃

18 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

No chance. Chris Brown made RVW look like Ronaldo, Pele and Eusebio all rolled into one. 

...still RVW.

Brown was a cheap and nasty 400k signing.

RVW was £8.5m snd was as bad so on the VFM scale RVW wins 

This thread really takes the biscuit. Utterly ridiculous and sums up just what absolute funktards football supporters can be.

I was there last night, like many of you. I have also watched the highlights on repeat to see those two superb goals, and it totally reaffirmed for me a few things:

1) Idah actually put a decent shift in. Made some good runs. Won his share of target man type headers. Was a nuisance to their defenders all night. Showed some beautiful little touches that, but for a bit of bad luck, would’ve translated into a couple of cracking assists.

2) Giannoulis was nowhere near as bad as people are making out. He was unfortunate that he had 2-3 glaring mishaps in a short space of time and, then had to endure idiots berating him. I’m fairly confident Wagner hooked him off to protect him from the over the top and unfair moaning that was being aimed at him. 

3) Tzolis is a young boy that deserves our patience and encouragement. He could, develop into an absolutely huge player for us but it’s unlikely to happen if the knuckle dragging brigade end up booing the life out of him.

4) Kenny is a different player under Wagner and is probably the reason people are turning on Idah and Giannoulis. Kenny is on form and people have to have someone to spout utter rubbish to and about. It can’t be Kenny at the minute so it’s the next easy target.

5) Some, perhaps the loud minority of football fans, are cruel. They don’t have an ounce of compassion or empathy and are not happy unless they’re being unkind to individuals

Im no happy clapper, but our role in this is to get behind the lads that are representing our city and county. It’s the minimum we should be bringing to the ground in my opinion. We have a responsibility to do that just as they have a responsibility to give 100% effort. I think the majority do do that but it seems the stone island army are only interested in being tw4ts and hellbent on feeding negativity.

Back these young lads and they will where our shirt with pride I’m sure.

Edited by Coneys Knee
  • Like 15

Perhaps successive managers see talent in Idah mixed with a lack of self-confidence, which they try to address by complimenting him publicly;  the fact that Sargent and Pukki are unavailable puts him under a lot of pressure to perform, which can result in mucking up from trying too hard, so it seems a good way of giving him a bit of a boost to hopefully deliver. It's not like the words cost anything.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, john in exile in leeds said:

Is no one old enough to remember Jim Blair ?!

It doesnt matter, the OP clearly has not a clue how to assess a footballers performance.  

On 21/02/2023 at 21:46, mastoola said:

yes the worst  58 games  5 goals

Funny how when people want to make it sound like a lot they say "games" and not "appearances". Huge difference. Not to mention that many of his appearances under Farke were one of the wide attacking midfield positions as a sub or filling in for one of those players that usually played there as an AM. 

On 22/02/2023 at 18:00, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...still RVW.

In comparison to asking price, I think RvW is definitely the worst one to play for us in the time I’ve supported the club. However, I wouldn’t give him too much criticism

In the past few years there’s been quite a lot of belief on here that Hughton’s defensive style of play just didn’t suit him and that had he played under a manager like Farke he would have done much better. I think he also won the golden boot in the Portuguese first tier the season before

On 22/02/2023 at 18:00, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...still RVW.

I think Naismith beats RVW on that tbh. Fee was around the same, we paid him more money, almost bankrupted us and the only real argument to say he wasn't that bad is that he looked good against Liverpool.

The best counter to that is Bassong looked better.

And we only ever saw half a season out of that investment, so yeah. Naismith wins hands down. 

• Like 1

I feel Idah is in the wrong position, with his assets and lack of finishing he should be playing at 6, he could be succesful in that position. But I don't see the striker the managers see in him.

I know i may sound biased but Tzolis could do better in that position. 

I don't see what he brings right now.

I think he could do with a permanent move away and a couple of years playing week in week out before returning to this level, similarly to Carlton Morris.

His open goal miss aside, he should have gone down, we'd have been playing 10 men for 45 minutes

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Why?

Just the constant abuse he was getting at the game today.

I get that a lot of people don't rate him, but screaming abuse at your own young player during a match is pretty low.

Honestly don't see the attraction in getting pissed up and slagging off one of your own 22-year old players (starting due to injuries) from just a few minutes into a home match. Hardly going to do his confidence the world of good and improve his finishing is it? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Just the constant abuse he was getting at the game today.

I get that a lot of people don't rate him, but screaming abuse at your own young player during a match is pretty low.

Honestly don't see the attraction in getting pissed up and slagging off one of your own 22-year old players (starting due to injuries) from just a few minutes into a home match. Hardly going to do his confidence the world of good and improve his finishing is it? 

If that's the case, then it's disgraceful.

He was mostly poor today, always seemed under pressure, now I know why.