Sign in to follow this  
The Bunny

Culprit behind "bad request" errors (and a fix)

I was curious, so I decided to see investigate the site's "bad request" errors.

Poking through my cookies in a database console (as one does on a Sunday evening), I discovered a cookie called OTAdditionalConsentString which is a massive 3071 bytes. If I delete it, the issue goes away. Note that 3071 bytes is pretty huge for a cookie - and too big for an HTTP request (hence "bad request").

One fix is to clear all cookies from the site, restart your browser and access the forum via forum.pinkun.com directly instead of clicking through from the main site. If you're on Chrome and windows, there's a better fix which is more permanent. See below.

Easy fix - (Chrome + Windows)

Install the cookie editor plugin for chrome. Go to Extensions->Cookie Editor and then just delete the offending cookie

image.png.8927117b9cb6377c71096bc44deda86d.png

IOS 

Download this Cookie Editor plugin for Safari, then open the site, enable the extension and delete the OTAdditionalConsentString cookie. 

Advanced fix - (Chrome + Windows). Don't do this unless you're bored

Chrome doesn't offer a way to do delete individual cookies, but you can do it manually by opening the Cookies database directly in an sqlite shell. The steps are below:

1. Download sqlite3 tools from https://www.sqlite.org/download.html (latest version at the time of writing is sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3400100.zip)
  2. Copy the zip file to C:\ and extract it (it will probably request admin access, if so, accept)
  3. Close chrome (you need to right-click + exit in the tray icon too if it's running in the background)
  4. Open a command prompt (start -> command prompt)
  5. cd to the location you extracted sqlite3.exe, e.g: cd C:\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3400100
  6. Enter this command: sqlite3 "%appdata%\..\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Network\Cookies"
  7. Enter this command: delete from cookies where host_key='.pinkun.com' and name='OTAdditionalConsentString';

Obviously having to manually delete cookies like this isn't ideal. Someone at the site really needs to look into why that cookie is so large and fix it properly. But I'm not holding my breath on that at this point. 

Edited by The Bunny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, daly said:

Hard to absorb when you’re pissed

Drunk instructions:

Hold the Alt and F4 keys on the keyboard and then go and have a lie down.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Anybody know what this “ 503 Backend fetch field “ I keep getting is ?

Something to do with pegging I believe.

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

That one is a server error. Nothing you can do on your end. 

You could try reporting it, but... good luck with that!

4 hours ago, crispeduk said:

I should clarify, pegging as in cribbage.

Why do people gossip about Prince William just because he likes playing cribbage? 

8 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Why do people gossip about Prince William just because he likes playing cribbage? 

Nothing wrong with a good game of cribbage. It's just who you play with.

This could be the most boring thread of all time and this has some competition from Cambridge 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

I had some serious backend issues Sunday night. Used that cookie editor, but still splattered the ceramic afterwards.

You have to edit the cookie before you eat it

People are getting the error on various browsers and phones, so multiple fixes required.

It would be best if the cookie is not created in the first place.

There will be cookie editors for other browsers. Not sure about phones. 

But yeah, it would be nice if they could just fix it. 

17 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Using a browser like duckduckgo or brave should do the trick as well as they default to rejecting cookies...

Right, or you can reject all cookies in Chrome, but then you'll have to sign in every time. 

On 19/02/2023 at 22:28, CANARYKING said:

Its a baseball tactic , only used during Pride week.  

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Why you assume that account is a he?

This is indeed an outrageous assumption !! The new IT member could be male, female or anything in between.

The only proper sanction must be a lifetime ban ( wink )

PS..... If it was Essex then clearly that would extend beyond the grave  ( another wink )

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Haha 2

If anyone is brave enough to try out the Safari one, do report back here. The App store reviews are not amazingly encouraging so far, nor are the version 2 notes from 2 days ago. But for just 49p you should definitely do it.

4 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

If anyone is brave enough to try out the Safari one, do report back here. The App store reviews are not amazingly encouraging so far, nor are the version 2 notes from 2 days ago. But for just 49p you should definitely do it.

FWIW I did it and it was pretty straightforward. Just browse to the site, enable the extension, open the plugin, search for OTAdditionalConsentString, hit the delete button. I removed the plugin immediately after. 

• Like 1

Bumping this, since it's still catching people out.

We're going to be dependent on workarounds like this until the PinkUn web team fixes the offending code.