Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

One shot on target against the team bottom of the table.

Don't worry Webber will rebuild the Team 

Problem is he is the one who built this one ! 

the amount of money that has been wasted to have a team of players who struggle to draw against wigan 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Happy to start a go fund me, for you Essex, on the condition the island does not have internet access. 

And that offer doesnt pass to your children. 😉 

OK. It's my fault. I went to Cambridge and they won. I was hoping you would take a share of the blame but then Daggers were away and lost.

23 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Don't worry Webber will rebuild the Team 

Problem is he is the one who built this one ! 

the amount of money that has been wasted to have a team of players who struggle to draw against wigan 

He oversaw a process involving a scouting team, data analysts, consulation with Daniel Farke, and negotiating for targets on a limited budget. The board know the most about who did what and don't seem anxious to replace him, so I think it may be more complicated than you think.

20 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

He oversaw a process involving a scouting team, data analysts, consulation with Daniel Farke, and negotiating for targets on a limited budget. The board know the most about who did what and don't seem anxious to replace him, so I think it may be more complicated than you think.

"The board". Including the man himself. Oh, and his wife.

Plus a few more people they had a hand in appointing.

Are you telling me they're not anxious to replace him?! Wow. Mind blown.

18 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Plus Smith, Wynn-Jones, Attanasio, and their financial investment that he is responsible for delivering on.

There's nothing to support the proposition that he's only still here because of cronyism.

Apart from anything else, we've just had a new investor walk in and throw millions into a stake on Webber's watch after their own due dilligence on our operations. Doesn't bear the hallmarks of a personal vote of no-confidence does it?

My personal theory is that we did come up with a really good model for identifying good players going for a steal like Buendia and Pukki. Once people cottoned onto that, others probably now take more interest in anyone we're interested in because we're interested, and we're not well equipped for bidding wars. I think this is what the club's board concluded and why we still have Webber, but we've looked to get more money into the club so we have a better chance of getting the players we really want.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

12 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Plus Smith, Wynn-Jones, Attanasio, and their financial investment that he is responsible for delivering on.

So he IS responsible for delivering on it, yes? Only a couple of posts ago it seemed you we trying to apportion a lot of the blame on to the scouting team, data analysts and Daniel Farke?

And by blame, I mean blame for the club being right back where we were when Webber came here in terms of league position. Arguably safer financially, but still without a pot to **** in for transfers and unarguably without several 8 figure assets to cash in.

By the way, the same board were happy to let Webber sign off on Dean Smith, a proven foul up. Their endorsement isn't necessarily the badge of honour you seem to think it is.

I doubt the Webbers will be around a great deal longer if/when the Attanasios fully takeover.

21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Therein lies the problem. How many times have Smith & Jones stood by managers that were past their sell by date. Todays team with the exception of Aarons was assembled under Webbers watch and I don't think we have had a more disjointed team for quite some time. Our forwards without Pukki have little idea of what to do, Sargent was our 9 million Premiership centre forward whose first touch is poor works hard but a forward? Idah has he improved in the last 3 years ? (Webber must have sanctioned the 5 year contract). Our midfield neither helps the defence or their forwards and our defence well, Aarons goes forward then can't centre the ball, Gianoulis a tidy footballer but not a defender just waiting for the next mistake. All assembled under Webbers watch. The football has not improved since Farke was sacked. Both Farke and Smith have been sacrificed to keep the arrogant Webber in a job and the club is going backwards. If Attonsio can't see through Webber then what will he give him another 50 million to waste. Time for a change.

At least we haven’t pissed all the premiership money up the wall like we did a few seasons ago.

It would have been stupid to do it twice .

• Haha 1

So what was the point in sacking Smith and Webber appointing Wagner if we now sack Webber and, I assume, let his replacement appoint another manager.

The thirst for sackings on here is ridiculous. Why go after Smith if you really wanted Webber gone. And after Webber who will be the next target when we lose and the world ends.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So what was the point in sacking Smith and Webber appointing Wagner if we now sack Webber and, I assume, let his replacement appoint another manager.

The thirst for sackings on here is ridiculous. Why go after Smith if you really wanted Webber gone. And after Webber who will be the next target when we lose and the world ends.

Sackings solve everything! Off with their hea...jobs!

These people wanted rid of Smith knowing Webber would be making the next appointment. They also seem to want Delia out quickly so the Americans can take over.. the Americans hand picked by the Webbers...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So he IS responsible for delivering on it, yes? Only a couple of posts ago it seemed you we trying to apportion a lot of the blame on to the scouting team, data analysts and Daniel Farke?

And by blame, I mean blame for the club being right back where we were when Webber came here in terms of league position. Arguably safer financially, but still without a pot to **** in for transfers and unarguably without several 8 figure assets to cash in.

By the way, the same board were happy to let Webber sign off on Dean Smith, a proven foul up. Their endorsement isn't necessarily the badge of honour you seem to think it is.

I doubt the Webbers will be around a great deal longer if/when the Attanasios fully takeover.

In a simplistic, looking for an easy answer scapegoat sort of way, yes he is responsible. In more nuanced terms, there are many other factors in weighing up whether he is actually the problem or whether there are other factors that are the problem like, for example, not being able to throw enough money at prospective players to get them to come to us instead of go elsewhere when other clubs with more money may be bidding.

Smith and Wynn-Jones have, for years, tried to get success through good practises in the running of the club and working purely on earnings. That has now failed to get us where we want to be under both McNally and the new sporting director regime. The club has acted to bring in new money to change that, someone has come in with Webber costed into that, so let's see where it goes.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Some people think there's an easy way to skip over the bad times. When things go bad all you can do is wait for the turning point. Sacking Farke and Smith didn't change anything just as sacking Webber or Wagner won't change anything either. The tide comes in and the tide goes out.

The only certainty is that there is an upturn somewhere down the road but nobody can say how far away it is.

OTBC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Some people think there's an easy way to skip over the bad times. When things go bad all you can do is wait for the turning point. Sacking Farke and Smith didn't change anything just as sacking Webber or Wagner won't change anything either. The tide comes in and the tide goes out.

The only certainty is that there is an upturn somewhere down the road but nobody can say how far away it is.

OTBC.

Indeed Rickyyyy 

Hope you're feeling better.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Indeed Rickyyyy 

Hope you're feeling better.

Thanks Nutty, I hope to be back at CR on Tuesday night.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

My personal theory is that we did come up with a really good model for identifying good players going for a steal like Buendia and Pukki. Once people cottoned onto that, others probably now take more interest in anyone we're interested in because we're interested, and we're not well equipped for bidding wars. I think this is what the club's board concluded and why we still have Webber, but we've looked to get more money into the club so we have a better chance of getting the players we really want.

Yup, this. Plus, our model was largely focused on the European market. I think it's fair to say that since that became more difficult, we have struggled more. Sara and Nunez are the first to come in from South America.

Arguably, we should have stayed more humble again in the premier league last time round and gone for spread betting rather than more expensive gambles in Tzolis, Rashica and Sargent. We probably paid over the odds for Gibson too. Possibly Giannoulis at £6.5m.

That said, I do think some folks do suffer from "little Norwich" in that thinking £8m or £9m is a lot of money for a player. It is relatively speaking. I just searched up a few things to see if I could illustrate it a bit better.

Premier league club by club transfer records piece which is, perhaps, a bit eye opening. At least perhaps because if you look at the clubs people think we can compete with... their transfer records are, at the lowest end, still pretty much double what we have paid in fees alone. Even Brentford have paid £17m for Lewis-Potter, albeit after a season in the Prem. Then it's Brighton who's is about £20m and Southampton who's is around £22m.

Then there is one that covers championship teams all time transfer record fees. We are 14th on that. That means as things stand, we are 34th in terms of club transfer record fee. Interestingly, Coventry's is Bellamy - who I think at the time was our club record for money received after Sutton, who was a national record for being the first player sold for £5m+. Scary to think that Coventry signed Bellamy in the early 00's for what this article is saying is £7.9m and it too us until last summer to pay more than that for a player. 

Reality is we are always trying to play catch up. Our current model is trying to find players who need development in some way and can be turned into more valuable players for our team on the pitch which equates also to possible future value. We, however, are not the only team to be doing that, and we have far less retention power than a good few others.

I agree with others in that it is likely to be wages that are more of an issue than transfer fees - it certainly looks that way with some of last summers targets that didn't come here according to Michael Bailey.

Attanasio may not be able to throw tens or hundreds of millions of £'s at transfers, but he might be able to pay the wages of a handful of next level players who could keep us there.

Again, this belief that the scouting, the identifying of players etc has been a failure, only really works if you ignore the knowns around players that were wanted but could not be landed, pushing us to 2nd, 3rd or whatever choices. I mean, going back to that list of premier league players, Haller is in it. He didn't come to us back then because he reportedly wasn't convinced by the training facilities - then he became a £45m player. Last summer, we missed out on players because of wages, fees etc. Armstrong, Billings, Ajer - and those are the ones you don't have to get through a paywall to find out about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

There's nothing to support the proposition that he's only still here because of cronyism.

Apart from anything else, we've just had a new investor walk in and throw millions into a stake on Webber's watch after their own due dilligence on our operations. Doesn't bear the hallmarks of a personal vote of no-confidence does it?

Its even more complicated than this as its not just about being outbid on buying players its the underlying salary policy the club maintains which is where we are really losing out on attracting the best talent - and when we do periodically unearth a gem they generally don’t stay too long with Pukki being the exception. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Shots on target isn't really a good indicator for anything despite the poor game. We dominated the second half and instead of looking to create a clear chance we could have repeatedly shot from the edge of the area straight at the goalkeeper since we were in their third for most of the half. It would have looked better and avoided this stat but the end result very much the same.

Road accidents is a meaningless stat. People could deliberately throw themselves at vehicles travelling at low speed just to inflate the numbers. It would look more serious but the end result would be very much the same. 

6 hours ago, The Bunny said:

Road accidents is a meaningless stat. People could deliberately throw themselves at vehicles travelling at low speed just to inflate the numbers. It would look more serious but the end result would be very much the same. 

Little weird

13 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I'll join him. Seen the ** parking his vehicle in a disabled space. Confronted him,basically ignored me and carried on his way.Smacked of " I can,and will,do what I want".The future.

Should have got your phone out and filmed it. That's one area where social media is effective.

17 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I'll join him. Seen the ** parking his vehicle in a disabled space. Confronted him,basically ignored me and carried on his way.Smacked of " I can,and will,do what I want".The future.

Tbh he’s not any different to the many people who seem to think it’s ok to park wherever they want if it’s only for a few minutes. It isn’t ok, but castigating Idah alone for it is a bit ridiculous (and I recall you mentioning this several times before). 

Edited by Branston Pickle

15 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

At least we haven’t pissed all the premiership money up the wall like we did a few seasons ago.

It would have been stupid to do it twice .

Hey, if we somehow fluke promotion perhaps Lionel could come on the pitch and sing "Once... twice... three times a lady Webber."

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh he’s not any different to the many people who seem to think it’s ok to park wherever they want if it’s only for a few minutes. It isn’t ok, but castigating Idah alone for it is a bit ridiculous (and I recall you mentioning this several times before). 

He is different. There are plenty of people a lot less well known than Idah who park in disabled bays but as he is well known and a representative of NCFC it's not a good look.

Besides anyone who forgets the association with that a*se John Terry needs to be a bit more self aware.

17 hours ago, hogesar said:

Sackings solve everything! Off with their hea...jobs!

These people wanted rid of Smith knowing Webber would be making the next appointment. They also seem to want Delia out quickly so the Americans can take over.. The Americans handpicked by the Webbers..

Having followed this whole episode of MA coming on board pretty closely to say it is all down to them has got me scratching my head in all honesty.

On 18/02/2023 at 17:51, hogesar said:

Shots on target isn't really a good indicator for anything despite the poor game. We dominated the second half and instead of looking to create a clear chance we could have repeatedly shot from the edge of the area straight at the goalkeeper since we were in their third for most of the half. It would have looked better and avoided this stat but the end result very much the same.

Maybe 1no of them shots from 18 yard would have gone in bottom corner or are you saying our midfielders/forwards are  so poor that they can only score from 6 yards. #KennyMcleanFootballeroftheyear

23 minutes ago, simmo_2 said:

Maybe 1no of them shots from 18 yard would have gone in bottom corner or are you saying our midfielders/forwards are  so poor that they can only score from 6 yards. #KennyMcleanFootballeroftheyear

What's Mclean got to do with our shots on target? Or are you now saying our defensive pivot midfielder often sitting in between the CB's should also be scoring every game? Get a grip.

On 18/02/2023 at 21:10, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm confused. Because our scouting was so good in picking up Buendia and Pukki for 1.5 million the pair we are now being watched and outbid.

Is that why we are now signing players for 10 X the amount with 10% of the ability.

I can agree that everyone watches everyone else in the transfer market and nothing is kept secret as the selling club needs to market the player to get top dollar. What I can't believe is our woes in the transfer market are just because we are being copied and out bid. We had a golden period of incoming players for a short while. We have now had a mare. I just can't see it as being completely the fault of other clubs stalking all our attempted signings.

We have wasted a lot of money on very average players and that is our fault completely. 

Edited by Canaries north

14 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I'm confused. Because our scouting was so good in picking up Buendia and Pukki for 1.5 million the pair we are now being watched and outbid.

Is that why we are now signing players for 10 X the amount with 10% of the ability.

I can agree that everyone watches everyone else in the transfer market and nothing is kept secret as the selling club needs to market the player to get top dollar. What I can't believe is our woes in the transfer market are just because we are being copied and out bid. We had a golden period of incoming players for a short while. We have now had a mare. I just can't see it as being completely the fault of other clubs stalking all our attempted signings.

We have wasted a lot of money on very average players and that is our fault completely. 

thats is Exactly my point something has changed 

those players are still out there somewhere 

our scouts could find them before but now can not find anyone who can perform week in week out in champs for 10 million ,

recruitment the last few seasons have not been good enough 

only recent signing any good was Gibbs who was free he is the best out of 50/60/70 million to prove it can be done