Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Is Idah the new McLean?

Not in terms of ability or style obviously.

But in terms of the disconnect in how he's viewed by managers and fans.

Since he broke into the frist team squad, managers seemed to love him. Farke played him, Smith started him in the Premier League, now Wagner is giving him more and more game time. When he's fit he's involved either as a starter or an early sub. The club obviously rate him highly enough to dish out a new 5 year deal.

However, fans don't seem to rate him- I see lots of comments from people who just don't see anything with him.

• Like 1

I think he's a good example of how fans are too quick to judge players, especially young ones who haven't figured it all out yet. Even then most of his time in the team has been off the bench, but when he starts he always looks pretty good imo. He was excellent in his run of starts last season before injury and I thought he offered more than Sargent did last night too. 

There's a question mark over whether the goals will truly come but even at 22 he's very much in the infancy of his career in terms of minutes played. There always seems to be a tendency amongst fans that young players are either good enough or they aren't, but if he was a 20 goal a season player already then he wouldn't be here much longer. Obviously it's great if the academy can churn out players we sell for millions of pounds, however it would also be nice to just have some lads who come through and contribute to the team for many years, that in itself holds immense value too.

• Like 1

Give him a run of games and after he scores a few goals - which will come - then folk will be right behind him (and I believe it is only a minority that aren't). Clearly, the club see a lot in him but it is so difficult, not least for a younger player, to compete with Teemu Pukki. Pukki is sheer class in many aspects of his game. So Adam will always have had a battle to be Number 1 or near equivalent. 

I'm pleased we've got trust in him. He must excel in training and have a decent attitude to boot. And he is still learning but has very good strength and that alone makes him a difficult customer. 

Thinking about it, does anyone think that actually he might be our biggest asset money wise too? Score 10 goals and get a run and I only see his value hugely appreciating. 

So pleased that managers are beginning to play him. He is our future.

• Like 2

He's never really had a run of games, which I think strikers need more than anyone. There is definitely a player in there and the boy can finish when on form, hasn't he already got a hattrick with us? In a Cup game?

Just now, canarydan23 said:

He's never really had a run of games, which I think strikers need more than anyone. There is definitely a player in there and the boy can finish when on form, hasn't he already got a hattrick with us? In a Cup game?

Yep versus Preston. 

Definitely a big  talent there. As you say (and me too) he needs a run in the team.

34 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Must admit I’m not really a fan..but would love to be proved wrong.

The key thing for me is limited evidence he can finish, that would be my main criticism (as well as poor control).

In contrast, and as  proved last night, Sargent does seem to have an ability to score even when he has not really been involved in much of the game….mind you I’d never have said that last year!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

No.  I think Idah is okay.  I think McLean is terrible.  There's a difference right there.

The same McLean who was in running for MOM last night, hardly misplaced a pass and covered most of the pitch

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think a better comparison is with Carlton Morris, the coaches have consistently rated both of them, although Idah is clearly seen to have more potential by the club.

Personally he really excites me, I think he has so much potential.  Against West Ham last year he looked like a premiership striker.  My only fear is that without going on loan these years and opportunities to develop are slipping past too quickly.

The club has a striker problem with Pukki's contract ending. Their faith in Idah comes more from necessity than belief. There isn't a scenario where we can afford to buy a replacement so we succeed or fail with what we have. The objective has become maximising our existing assets in the medium term rather than playing the best team in the short term.

Idah has obviously shown sufficient promise to make the club (Webber) believe that he could be good in the long term - either to play or sell. Wagner needs to find the appropriate balance between having a stab at promotion through the playoffs and building a team for next season in the Championship.

Put it this way: if you accept that Idah isn't very good, you are basically accepting that we won't stand much of a chance next season. 

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

The key thing for me is limited evidence he can finish, that would be my main criticism (as well as poor control).

In contrast, and as  proved last night, Sargent does seem to have an ability to score even when he has not really been involved in much of the game….mind you I’d never have said that last year!

Last season most were saying Sargent couldn't finish. Amazing what a change a bit of gametime has made. I think Idah deserves a run of games, see if he can add something while staying injury-free.

Have watched Adam Idah since he was in our Under 18s.  He was always tall but now has developed more physique and is therefore stronger.  He has been unlucky not to get a run of games over the last couple of seasons having COVID twice I recall and then injury.  He’s also performed quite well for Ireland.  Still think he will make it.

• Like 1

Is this the same potential that has been brewing for four seasons since that hat trick? The same potential that has seen him play over a dozen times for RoI?

Surely its time to flourish? He obviously has ability but he reminds me of Emile Heskey. Built like a middleweight but at times like a butterfly. When he started, I really thought we would be selling him for £30M.

If he can put in Kenny's effort then he can still make it.

49 minutes ago, city4eva said:

The same McLean who was in running for MOM last night, hardly misplaced a pass and covered most of the pitch

Had a good second half, I'll give him that.  First half he was his usual self.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is this the same potential that has been brewing for four seasons since that hat trick?

Has he had four seasons worth of development though?

I think it's because we generally hear a lot more about his ability from the club than see it in action (quite like the effect Chelsea fans had on our perception of Gilmour)

A run of games will do him good.

I'd love to see Idah flourish. He has a powerful physique, basic, unrefined technique & a decent application. If he can keep his actions simple & find enough self belief to finish effectively we'll have a high quality forward. Realistically, I'm not expecting anything above a Carlton Morris-type career at NCFC though...

His movement and his play last night was very good, with more game time confidence of scoring will come, but it was very noticeable that both Idah and Sargent came back or moved to the wing to help link the play.

I think we need to see better delivery from both Dowell who created nothin and Hernandez who delivers one decent ball every five attempts.

I have no problem if Pukki isn’t keen to stay to carry on with this pair up top.

As for McLean, noticed Sara dropped back more to pick up the ball too, still prefer McLean higher up the pitch.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Not in terms of ability or style obviously.

But in terms of the disconnect in how he's viewed by managers and fans.

Since he broke into the frist team squad, managers seemed to love him. Farke played him, Smith started him in the Premier League, now Wagner is giving him more and more game time. When he's fit he's involved either as a starter or an early sub. The club obviously rate him highly enough to dish out a new 5 year deal.

However, fans don't seem to rate him- I see lots of comments from people who just don't see anything with him.

People will always find a scapegoat, especially when results arent going our way. Idah is still very raw and has been injured a lot during the younger years of his career. It remains to be seen what level he could get to providing he remains injury free.

35 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is this the same potential that has been brewing for four seasons since that hat trick? The same potential that has seen him play over a dozen times for RoI?

Surely its time to flourish? He obviously has ability but he reminds me of Emile Heskey. Built like a middleweight but at times like a butterfly. When he started, I really thought we would be selling him for £30M.

If he can put in Kenny's effort then he can still make it.

You can only flourish regularly playing games. His number of starts for us in those 4 years is tiny, I think I saw somewhere his start last night was something like his 10th ever league start for us.

I still think we should have loaned him out last year and/or the years before. Yes he looked really good in the PL in that short patch before his injury but he’s missed so much development by being in and around squads and barely playing IMO. Idah with a full Championship season as a starter would almost certainly be a better player now IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

You can only flourish regularly playing games. His number of starts for us in those 4 years is tiny, I think I saw somewhere his start last night was something like his 10th ever league start for us.

I still think we should have loaned him out last year and/or the years before. Yes he looked really good in the PL in that short patch before his injury but he’s missed so much development by being in and around squads and barely playing IMO. Idah with a full Championship season as a starter would almost certainly be a better player now IMO.

I can see his potential, I’ve said in the past what makes players like Kane become what they are, Ken here looked far worse than Idah! Not saying Idah will ever match Kane but why not? Application, attitude and ability lead to excellence.

McClean was a colossus last night the way he was dropping in as a centre back at times.

Master class in the anchorman role from him last night. (Even if he did ball watch once then scream at Hanley to pick it up despite being the closest man in a yellow shirt to the ball 😅)

Idah is similar he was so strong last night and caused a lot of issues.

Problem with half our fans is the distinct non understanding of football.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

McClean was a colossus last night the way he was dropping in as a centre back at times.

Master class in the anchorman role from him last night. (Even if he did ball watch once then scream at Hanley to pick it up despite being the closest man in a yellow shirt to the ball 😅)

Idah is similar he was so strong last night and caused a lot of issues.

Problem with half our fans is the distinct non understanding of football.

Kenny turned into Tom Brady last night spraying balls about. Yes he has the tendency to give away clumsy passes, but I think thats most Norwich players. He seems to play well sitting in a deep lying play maker position spraying passes to the wings and carrying the ball forward.

Edited by jaberry2

Idah is at the stage of his career where we should be expecting him to kick on,   a decent cameo on sat but needs to improve yet - game time will confirm that.  Quick with some physical strength although not strong in the air he remains in the has potential stage.

The issue with kenny  is that we use him for a role hes not suited too;   he has never been and was never likely to be tetteys dm replacement,  he doesnt prevent threat nor win the ball back and his passing doesnt survive a good press, which could justify his place there.  sadly nor is he the best option we have to use him as a the creator higher up the pitch.  He was solid, but no colossus last night which is what youd expect when Hull had so little possession in our half it mean the dm frailties were not as visible.    

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

The club has a striker problem with Pukki's contract ending. Their faith in Idah comes more from necessity than belief. There isn't a scenario where we can afford to buy a replacement so we succeed or fail with what we have. The objective has become maximising our existing assets in the medium term rather than playing the best team in the short term.

Idah has obviously shown sufficient promise to make the club (Webber) believe that he could be good in the long term - either to play or sell. Wagner needs to find the appropriate balance between having a stab at promotion through the playoffs and building a team for next season in the Championship.

Put it this way: if you accept that Idah isn't very good, you are basically accepting that we won't stand much of a chance next season. 

I doubt that is definitely true, but even if it is there is also the loan market. Even if we are in the Championship next season I would be surprised if Sargent and Idah are our only striking options.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I doubt that is definitely true, but even if it is there is also the loan market. Even if we are in the Championship next season I would be surprised if Sargent and Idah are our only striking options.

I don't doubt we may bring in a striker of some description, just nowhere near Pukki's quality.

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Kenny turned into Tom Brady last night spraying balls about. Yes he has the tendency to give away clumsy passes, but I think thats most Norwich players. He seems to play well sitting in a deep lying play maker position spraying passes to the wings and carrying the ball forward.

He can't do it when pressed though. Ok against a fairly poor Hull team who gave him time on ball,but when harried and not allowed time,he tends to panic and his passing suffers.

2 hours ago, repman said:

Has he had four seasons worth of development though?

Apart from injury, yes. He has been part of the 1st team squad. Its up to him to impress. Instead we went out and bought Hugill and Sarge.

i think the time has come for Idah 

pukki looks like he could be leaving so looks like we are going to find out all about Idah 

he will be given a lot more  games next season by the look of it 

i think he has the build / height and enough pace to be a top striker 

will it happen ? up to idah with a bit of luck i think he can be a 1st teamer no problem