(Northern) Irish Canary

Visit to the Fine City

3 hours ago, Herman said:

The bomb went off. I think it maybe have improved.😀

(Everyone is safe, don't worry.)

I don't think so as there was a murder on St Peters Road Wednesday

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Any good eateries in Norwich which allow dogs you guys can recommend?

Ber st kitchen love dogs, chef comes out with treats.

Book up though

• Like 1

If you're around for breakfast, definitely recommend Ber Street Kitchen. Dog friendly too. But book as it's a small venue. 

Depends on the ages and interests of your kids, but you could take in a walk around the UEA (park near Eaton Park) and enter via Bluebell Road. See the donkeys, walk around the lake with a couple of hidden statues, swans etc and head up to the Sainsbury Centre, where there is a very interesting and eclectic art exhibition (free so you don't have to outstay their interest levels!) where you can also get a bite to eat (not cheap) and then walk back to the car.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for all your suggestions, I’ve made a note of every one of them and now doing a bit of research to whittle it down a bit. 
After today’s showing I may need to look for something to do on Tuesday evening as well😩

1 hour ago, (Northern) Irish Canary said:

Thanks very much for all your suggestions, I’ve made a note of every one of them and now doing a bit of research to whittle it down a bit. 
After today’s showing I may need to look for something to do on Tuesday evening as well😩

Cancel the trip and save a fortune. 

• Sad 1

On 10/02/2023 at 09:29, cambridgeshire canary said:

No no the best fish and chips in Norfolk is Mary Jane's. Then again that's Cromer and not Norwich.. But let's not get a debate going 😉

It’s not even the best fish and chips in Cromer mate. Get out more. Number 1 so much more consistent 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cancel the trip and save a fortune. 

A trip to Norwich is NEVER a waste of money. F***ing stunningly great city. 

• Like 4

On 10/02/2023 at 09:01, (Northern) Irish Canary said:

Morning all,

As a long time supporter yet infrequent visitor to Norwich, I am for the first time bringing the family over from Northern Ireland for the match on Tuesday night. We arrive Monday morning, leaving Wednesday morning so have a day and a half of time to fill. Wanting to create a great impression of the Fine City so that they want to come back, I am seeking recommendations for any family-orientated places to visit / activities to do. I will have a hire car so could travel a bit, although looking to keep it to a relative minimum. I was over in December on my own and visited the Cathedral with I enjoyed, so that could be one option. Other initial thoughts include a river ride along the Wensum or a trip to the Norfolk broads.

Anyway, enough waffle - grateful for suggestions.

Thanks.

Edit: also open to dining suggestions! Went for fish/chips and pint somewhere in Tombland in December and it was fab. Don’t recall name though.

“Family” includes wife and two boys (9 and 12).

Just turn up and potter. You won’t be disappointed. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Absolutely agree, I’m all booked up for the  Sheff Utd match. I can not wait to see this beautiful City again. The match I’m not too concerned about but the pubs and bars plus general sights are awesome. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 22:34, SwearyCanary said:

Not a day goes by that I don't regret having moved away.

If I won the lottery would be back in a heartbeat

On 10/02/2023 at 11:42, Ken Hairy said:

Avoid Prince of Wales St then 👍

Sorry, WHAT? 

Prince of Wales ROAD.

On 10/02/2023 at 12:32, jaberry2 said:

Any good eateries in Norwich which allow dogs you guys can recommend?

The Cozy Club. I love it. A former bank but taking your dog means you get the best seats in the house if you ask me. In what would have been the atrium, under the superb skylight... I mean, that is probably the wrong word for it... 

A look inside the Cosy Club Norwich - Visit Norwich

They are what I call, proper dog friendly, as in, they'll make a fuss of your dog, get them a bowl of water and a gravy bone (if they are allowed one). I feel some places say they are dog friendly and pretty much don't recognise them.

I believe Bill's is also dog friendly.

Incidentally, if you like board games and want a fun, but relatively relaxed and quiet night out whilst trying out some board games - The Games Table, is a board game cafe and is also dog friendly.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chicken said:

The Cozy Club. I love it. A former bank but taking your dog means you get the best seats in the house if you ask me. In what would have been the atrium, under the superb skylight... I mean, that is probably the wrong word for it... 

A look inside the Cosy Club Norwich - Visit Norwich

They are what I call, proper dog friendly, as in, they'll make a fuss of your dog, get them a bowl of water and a gravy bone (if they are allowed one). I feel some places say they are dog friendly and pretty much don't recognise them.

I believe Bill's is also dog friendly.

Incidentally, if you like board games and want a fun, but relatively relaxed and quiet night out whilst trying out some board games - The Games Table, is a board game cafe and is also dog friendly.

Thanks, this place looks a good shout. We normally go to Bills

Am travelling down with my Sunderland supporting future son in law foe the game in March. I will be in the Barclay. Cant wait to be back in the City. Haven't been down much since I lost my mam. Booked onto the Nelson Friday and Saturday before they changed the date so a long drive back straight after the game. Will no doubt visit some old haunts and new ones

• Like 1

Thanks again to all of you for your activity and grub suggestions. Thought I’d extend the courtesy of giving a very brief summary of what I got up to, for those who may be interested… 
After a shaky start to the trip in the form of a 2-hour flight delay to Stansted on Monday, we managed a trip to the Norwich Ski Club for a session of tubing followed by a feed of fab Caribbean fayre at Turtle Bay, both of which were thoroughly enjoyable.

On match day we took a fantastic trip along the Norfolk Broads on a river boat, the experience enhanced by the lovely sunny weather. The afternoon was spent on a bit of sight-seeing around the City, as well as some retail therapy (including On the Stall City), the Elms, the Lanes, etc. The wife was very impressed with the city and the people. I then met with a friend I hadn’t seen in several years before heading to the match with my boys. Following an expensive trip to the club shop, I managed to grab a photo with Delia - who love her or loathe her - was very friendly and looked great for 81. Have to say, I never thought I’d get to spend Valentine’s evening with her! 
The main event was obviously the football which could hardly have gone any better and needs no summary. The icing on the cake was that we were staying at the Holiday Inn at the ground and had an excellent pitch view from the room. I was like a child on Christmas morning when I opened the door and saw that! The wife spent Valentine’s evening - at my request - recording the game on her phone through the window!

Post-match celebrations were held in The Murderers where I met up with another friend I hadn’t  seen in many years, before winding down with a kebab from the war-torn Prince of Wales Road.

So all-in-all a great if somewhat expensive trip; already looking forward to the next one….💛💚

EA33B138-9BD6-479D-8A5A-30FAD4D3616C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, (Northern) Irish Canary said:

Thanks again to all of you for your activity and grub suggestions. Thought I’d extend the courtesy of giving a very brief summary of what I got up to, for those who may be interested… 
After a shaky start to the trip in the form of a 2-hour flight delay to Stansted on Monday, we managed a trip to the Norwich Ski Club for a session of tubing followed by a feed of fab Caribbean fayre at Turtle Bay, both of which were thoroughly enjoyable.

On match day we took a fantastic trip along the Norfolk Broads on a river boat, the experience enhanced by the lovely sunny weather. The afternoon was spent on a bit of sight-seeing around the City, as well as some retail therapy (including On the Stall City), the Elms, the Lanes, etc. The wife was very impressed with the city and the people. I then met with a friend I hadn’t seen in several years before heading to the match with my boys. Following an expensive trip to the club shop, I managed to grab a photo with Delia - who love her or loathe her - was very friendly and looked great for 81. Have to say, I never thought I’d get to spend Valentine’s evening with her! 
The main event was obviously the football which could hardly have gone any better and needs no summary. The icing on the cake was that we were staying at the Holiday Inn at the ground and had an excellent pitch view from the room. I was like a child on Christmas morning when I opened the door and saw that! The wife spent Valentine’s evening - at my request - recording the game on her phone through the window!

Post-match celebrations were held in The Murderers where I met up with another friend I hadn’t  seen in many years, before winding down with a kebab from the war-torn Prince of Wales Road.

So all-in-all a great if somewhat expensive trip; already looking forward to the next one….💛💚

EA33B138-9BD6-479D-8A5A-30FAD4D3616C.jpeg

Top stuff.

No matter what anyone says, both Delia and Michael are good people doing what they thing is best. It may not be what everyone else thinks, but it doesn't stop them being nice people. I hope in time people will view this changing of the guard they are overseeing as a very measured way of going about it.

In any case, glad to hear you had a fantastic trip - the most obvious question being, are your boys now hook, line and sinker for the yellow and green army?!! 😄

• Like 2

Pleased to hear you had a great time. Norwich is certainly a very fine city.

The weather and not least the enjoyable game and result certainly helped but maybe it didn't seem that way to begin with.

I'm glad your understanding OH didn't mind being stood up for Delia ( wink )

• Haha 1