Pugin

Todd Cantwell. The truth will out.

I am in two minds as to whether Todd should say any more about his departure. On reflection perhaps not, but he is young, headstrong, and feels wronged. Worse than that, he is entitled to feel that Stuart Webber has tried to damage his career.

From a subjective viewpoint and a NCFC viewpoint, Stuat's behaviour has been hard to explain. Todd's former Agents had Webber on toast over his initial Premier League contract, but that's not Todd's fault.

Todd's 'big reveal' would be the infuence that Stuart had on recent team selection. Maybe it is best left unsaid. Equally, there is no golden rule that Stuart has to take calls from Agents, but complete blanking over a sustained period is odd.

In reality, if the truth does come out it would be best from someone other than Todd or anyone with a close connection, which narrows it down. Todd changed his Agents at Christmas and both former and current Agents would be ill-advised to drop a hand grenade into the conversation and both have a professional interest in not doing so.

There's no great bombshell other than what I have said above. There was no offer of a new contract, and a tacit message that Stuart wanted him gone.To you and me it might feel like par for the course, but we haven't had to live with the consequences and we don't feel slighted. I won't say any more but may respond to serious PM enquiries.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Pugin said:

There was no offer of a new contract

It's widely known that Todd was offered a new contract previously which he declined to sign. Whether or not a different offer was made later is moot.

It was surprising, however, that there was no option for Wagner to look at Cantwell before he was sold. I gather bridges were already burnt. 

I doubt there is particularly much to the story. The widely speculated 'poor attitude' was most likely just a lack of confidence and a series of minor injuries.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Todd's former Agents had Webber on toast over his initial Premier League contract, but that's not Todd's fault.

Glad that Todd has changed his agent - sounds like that was the main problem initially - that first contract once Todd had got into the first team squad took an age to be agreed and it was obvious the club weren't wanting to pay what was being asked by Todd/agent. When Godfrey/Max/Tettey/Lewis/Vrancic/Stiepermann/Zimmermann (I think it was those) all signed their contracts at around the same time, it seemed extremely odd that Cantwell's was taking so long to sort out. If the club had to give in to it in the end, it would have left Webber feeling that the player/agent had been holding the club to ransom and ended up having to pay too much.  Subsequent dealings with the agent would then have been difficult.

No one should be bigger than the club and that contract saga in 2019 (?) set the tone for what followed.  It will be a two sided story of course and Webber and Farke may not have handled it the best they could, but the message was always that players had to be together as part of the group and anyone who stuck out - like Oliveira and Lietner - and Farke more or less came out and said about Todd - "he's 23 now, not a teenager" or words to that effect indiccating that he thought Todd was not acting maturely.

Todd Cantwell needs to grow up and stop whinging all the time. If he put as much effort into his football as he does his social media he'd be the footballer he should have been.

• Like 3

Todd is only young, clearly he felt more wronged than he felt blessed for the opportunities he was given.  I just hope he does not end up as negative about us as Danny Mills did.

Going on about Todd is a pointless exhausting conversation where no one wins.  I would like to move to a point where the front page of the ncfc forum isn't going on about Todd, and we can celebrate his success in Scotland.

I have an colleague who did some work with Daddy Cantwell, they relayed the version of events on as told by him. Very much sounded like the pro-Cantwell version to me and therein lies the problem.

There will never be one 'truth', there will be two versions of one story and both will be equally true depending on which side of the fence you're on.

In my personal opinion, the fact that you don't see anyone pestering TC for 'the truth' but he continues to stoke the mystery says a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

There was no offer of a new contract, and a tacit message that Stuart wanted him gone.

I didn't want him to sign a new contract either, and I wanted him gone. Too much risk that we'd tie him down for 3 years and he'd down tools for 2 of them.

As talented as he is we can't afford to carry passengers and that is what he'd become. 

I genuinely hope he salvages a decent career, and I'm sure when he's 40 he could do the ambassadorial thing, might even buy his future ghostwritten book to read the Norwich chapters if his career ends up interesting enough. 

But his time here was up. If he has changed his agent then that suggests at least a semi conscious acknowledgement that the problem may have originated there. One could perhaps assume that he, at the advice of a greedy agent, has asked for a ludicrous amount of money when his stock was high.

1 hour ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

The truth or Todd’s version of the truth?

Quite. I really think everyone should move on.  There doesn’t appear to be anything much worthy of poring over.  For some reason things went south, it happens sometimes.  

I hope he turns it round and has a good career, as far as NCFC goes it’s all done with now.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Todd is only young

He's not, he's halfway through his career.

He may act 18 but he's actually 25 this month. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

I am in two minds as to whether Todd should say any more about his departure.

Why do you think he would be able to ? It is fairly standard practice for players, managers to have a condidentuality clause in their contract. Why do you think there is universal silence in these matters elsewhere. Or is Cantwell alone in being able to say what he wants. After all, what is stopping him now ?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's not, he's halfway through his career.

He may act 18 but he's actually 25 this month. 

Well, without  checking I'd have put him at 23 tops . His youthful looks are an asset.

But as judge Judy  would say , beauty fades, dumb is  forever. 

1 minute ago, PockthorpePete said:

It is fairly standard practice for players, managers to have a confidentiality clause in their contract. 

Surely not one which binds you forever.

Think you are confusing with an NDA. That type of thing usually gets signed as part of a golden goodbye / mutual parting of ways / the buy out of a business partnership.

Doubt it would form part of a normal football contract, otherwise you'd never get any football autobiographies.

Cantwell would be best advised to shut his mouth until his career is over though and then doing a tell all book, to earn some wonga, get Michael Bailey to ghost write it and do the book signings at Jarrolds. But that would be too smart wouldn't it. Like the smarter boxers say, they do all their fighting in the ring, for the pay.

Webber will able to damage Cantwell's career much easier than Cantwell could inflict any damage on Webber's, he'd be very silly to poke the bear, Webber will come out swinging. Half expecting Webber to spill the beans in the summer once the season is over anyway, he won't want to disrupt Wagner's season or unsettle the dressing room.

Cantwell meanwhile is hinting that he would be happy to drop bombs which could unsettle the club/fans/dressing room, which once again shows that he's no true Norwich fan and somebody we shouldn't respect. I see that those backing Cantwell and calling us meanies haven't put 2+2 together there. We're in a fight for our lives to try and squeeze in the top 6, we don't need to hear nonsense from a former player who couldn't be bothered anymore.

It exists hence the lack of comment once a player/manager has left. Much as it is force when they are playing It is what will stop him doing a Ginger Whinger Windosr wail all. There are also the laws of liable where it would require Cantwell to proveany contentious claims.. His recent comments suggest he knows this, but wants 'fans' to think hewas 'done wrong'. I would suggest he listens to this -

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite. I really think everyone should move on.  There doesn’t appear to be anything much worthy of poring over.  For some reason things went south, it happens sometimes.  

I hope he turns it round and has a good career, as far as NCFC goes it’s all done with now.

Maybe the truth will come out one day. Until then there is only conjecture. 
move on. 

It would be easier to move on if the player himself would. Bringing it all up again just after he has left, just ups the ante and makes people think about it again.  I am happy to think that all parties are partly to blame, but the clear message here is that he thinks he was dealt with badly - and he won't leave it alone. 

He really would be better just letting it go and move on with his career without recriminiations and leave out the social media messages. He's a footballer first an internet influencer second......and last time I looked football is a real physical sport and the internet is.....the internet...a virtual unreality of humanity's best and worst....and best kept at arm's length by anyone who wants to keep things real. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Bringing it all up again just after he has left, just ups the ante and makes people think about it again.

Todd "Stay Puft" Cantwell...  "Who you gonna call?"

Slightly ironic that some say Todd should shut up and move on, when they can't themselves.

There are bigger and better things that we as supporters of NCFC should be concerned about now.

1 minute ago, Newtopia said:

Just for clarity, I absolutely love Max Aarons.  Let’s talk more about Max…..  

Agreed. Top lad.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Slightly ironic that some say Todd should shut up and move on, when they can't themselves.

There are bigger and better things that we as supporters of NCFC should be concerned about now.

True, but it seems he wants to endear himself to the Norwich faithful by appealing to the fans and putting the blame vicariously with someone other than himself. We react accordingly. 

I agree with LDC - 'but the clear message here is that he thinks he was dealt with badly - and he won't leave it alone'.

All about 'him'

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Just for clarity, I absolutely love Max Aarons.  Let’s talk more about Max…..  

Agreed, I like Argos - let's talk more about Onel.......

Just now, Foxy2600 said:

Agreed, I like Argos - let's talk more about Onel.......

Absolutely rock star, I am conflicted about whether to give him a contract, for me it comes down to the performances of Idah, Rowe, Tzolis, and Rashica, if they are all showing decent performance levels, and want to be here, I fear for him.  

13 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Absolutely rock star, I am conflicted about whether to give him a contract, for me it comes down to the performances of Idah, Rowe, Tzolis, and Rashica, if they are all showing decent performance levels, and want to be here, I fear for him.  

I'd be really surprised if we don't extend Onel's contract. Whilst he's far from brilliant he's done more than the others you mention. Wagner seems to like him.

Tzolis will need the rest of this season to show if he's good enough. Who knows what Rowe has to offer; seems very keen but hasn't played this season and is competing against Tzolis and Marquinhos for a place on the bench.

Rashica will know of Wagner but clearly didn't want to play for Smith. I'd be surprised if he returns next season but maybe Turkey isn't someone he'd want to stay!

• Like 1