cambridgeshire canary

Todd "cryptic post" Cantwell has returned!

21 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Todd's former Agents had Webber on toast over his initial Premier League contract, but that's not Todd's fault.

Glad that Todd has changed his agent - sounds like that was the main problem initially - that first contract once Todd had got into the first team squad took an age to be agreed and it was obvious the club weren't wanting to pay what was being asked by Todd/agent. When Godfrey/Max/Tettey/Lewis/Vrancic/Stiepermann/Zimmermann (I think it was those) all signed their contracts at around the same time, it seemed extremely odd that Cantwell's was taking so long to sort out. If the club had to give in to it in the end, it would have left Webber feeling that the player/agent had been holding the club to ransom and ended up having to pay too much.  Subsequent dealings with the agent would then have been difficult.

No one should be bigger than the club and that contract saga in 2019 (?) set the tone for what followed.  It will be a two sided story of course and Webber and Farke may not have handled it the best they could, but the message was always that players had to be together as part of the group and anyone who stuck out - like Oliveira and Lietner - and Farke more or less came out and said about Todd - "he's 23 now, not a teenager" or words to that effect indiccating that he thought Todd was not acting maturely.

Edited by lake district canary

Lots on twitter predicting that TNC will have an interview with Todd soon.

Personally wish he d move on and let his football do the talking 

• Like 4

A lot of stuff to come out. Todds love for rap & drill music got him into a lot of bother. County lines, etc.

I can't say much more at this time. 

Best,

TG

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Notwithstanding any antagonism we might have felt towards Cantwell we arranged for him what under the circumstances seemed like the perfect January loan move. To a club on its way to the Premier League. And Bournemouth couldn't have paid much attention to anything negative we might have said about him, since they took us up on the offer. All he had to do was impress Bournmouth, which could well have secured him a permanent move, while also indicating that we alone were the problem. That didn't happen.

To be fair when he did his first Bournemouth interviews he didn't seem to be in a good place at all, and seems happier now. 

But I take your point, that if we fancied being vindictive we didn't have to sanction the move and present him with such a good opportunity to impress a team on the up.

Suspect it is all six of one and half a dozen of the other. Bet Webber and Cantwell could share completely different versions of the same story and they'd both be largely true.

But in the real world relationships sour, people fall out. Sure most of us have things we regret from our professional lives, I know I regret some bridge burning.

27 minutes ago, True Grit said:

Todds love for rap & drill music got him into a lot of bother. County lines, etc.

Oh this explains a lot, I know Farke is a big fan of the Bosch cordless range and Webber likes the affordability of the Black & Decker.  Reading this one can only presume that Todd falls down somewhere around the DeWalt range...

No wonder cracks started to appear.....  I mean, you've got to be using the correct screw bits for starters.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, True Grit said:

A lot of stuff to come out. Todds love for rap & drill music got him into a lot of bother. County lines, etc.

Best,

TG

At least one of his spells out with personal problems related to him not being able to keep his willy in his pants, with a long term girlfriend at home. And yes, I can be sure of this. And no, he's not gay.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Diane said:

Lots on twitter predicting that TNC will have an interview with Todd soon.

Personally wish he d move on and let his football do the talking 

Sounds like a good way for TNC to get themselves put back on the blacklist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, True Grit said:

Best,

TG

Carlos Puyol used to blast napalm death in the Barcelona dressing room, didn’t do his career or relationship with the club any harm

He really should just Delete his social media account 

i think he would be far happier 

he is young just signed for a Massive club gets paid really well 

Really Exciting time for him New house new people new fans to enjoy 

Massive city New shops as we know he enjoys shopping

and here he is on Social media posting attention seeking posts again 

That's pretty sad to be honest 

Just enjoy your life Todd ditch the social media and let your football do the talking 

• Like 5

On 06/02/2023 at 18:04, Petriix said:

Forgiving? People on here hated him even when he played well. They still stalk him on social media and have a dig at whatever he posts. They trawl through the highlights of his man-of-the-match performance for his new club and blame him for the goal they conceded.

It's embarrassing. Leave the guy alone. 

So you disagree with Chris Sutton? And Chris Sutton is a stalker? 

"It creates an unnecessary storm and speculation, and people will wonder why he’s brought a negative back up. We will all wait then to see what Todd’s real story is some time. Will it be a book? When will the big reveal be to 'his fans' and Norwich City fans?

"Contrast his approach to that of Jordan Hugill, who barely kicked a ball but acted with complete professionalism and respect when departing the football club and it makes it all the more bewildering. 

"If he has a beef, just get it out in the open, and he may well have a point as nobody knows what his issue is.  

What I do know is that if he wants to prosper in the Glasgow goldfish bowl, it’s best to do that with his focus fully on playing football well for Rangers and nothing else."

• Like 3

If Cantwell is going to reveal all, he should also explain why not just 1 coach, but at least 3 - Farke, Smith, Parker -  all lost patience with him, with Farke's and Parker's annoyance being particularly thinly-veiled.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

While my personal opinion of Chris is somewhat negative (for reasons I won't go into), it is his job to publicly share his views about football. He has made a bit of a brand for himself for being seen as hard hitting, straight talking, no nonsense etc. and this is no different.

But, TVB, I mostly disagree with you. Your insatiable need to demonise and ridicule is abhorrent. Bullies love to pick on perceived weakness and that's exactly what this is. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Petriix said:

While my personal opinion of Chris is somewhat negative (for reasons I won't go into), it is his job to publicly share his views about football. He has made a bit of a brand for himself for being seen as hard hitting, straight talking, no nonsense etc. and this is no different.

But, TVB, I mostly disagree with you. Your insatiable need to demonise and ridicule is abhorrent. Bullies love to pick on perceived weakness and that's exactly what this is. 

These are all of my posts on this thread which mention Cantwell, and I stand by every word. I'll let others decide whether I'm demonising and ridiculing him, or bullying. Think I'm just saying what most Norwich fans think to be honest. That's subjective though I guess, your bar for those things is obviously set rather low. 

Don't make me quote 50+ times you slated GIlmour on here, calling him the worst Premier League midfielder you've ever seen, a League One player, blaming every defeat on him when dropping him didn't improve us etc, saying he'd fail at Brighton. You were one of the loudest anti-Gilmour voices at a time when he was getting nasty chants from our fans and his parents couldn't attend games.

Then we'll talk about relentless ridicule and bullying, 104 times you   mentioned Gilmour on this forum in the one year we had him, the vast majority of it extremely negative, helping to perpetuate the mindless scapegoating of a 20 year old who was playing with no defensive midfielder beside him, expected to fulfil a role that he clearly was never built for.

He played 57 minutes for Brighton in the Premier League four days ago. Guess what, they kept a clean sheet and won 1-0. Because he wasn't expected to be the defensive anchorman, he played alongside one... Pascal Gross. Gilmour was never to blame for his failure, Webber was to blame..  for signing another crocked defensive midfielder, and anybody (like you) who decided to slate him dozens of times, instead of being critical of recruitment and sympathetic of the role he was being asked to fulfil, should be ashamed. 

On 06/02/2023 at 18:14, TeemuVanBasten said:

"My fans"

I support players who give 100 percent to the shirt of the club I support. He didn't do much of that for 19 months.

Only 12 year olds boys and 18 year old wannabe wags are "fans" of individual players surely. Got my favourites from over the years, suppose I did follow Hucks at San Jose a bit, and Wes at Cambridge, but not like people from Norwich go out of their way to watch a Leicester game because they are "James Maddison fans" is it? Or do they?

On 06/02/2023 at 18:17, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think it's common knowledge that Webber upset him with his "staying on the pitch trying to get their photo in the paper" statement, and it was a silly thing to say in public, another example of Webbers naivity and brushless. 

However Max Aarons also stayed on the pitch. I bet he wasn't too pleased with the comment either but clearly moved on from it.

On 06/02/2023 at 18:40, TeemuVanBasten said:

Cantwell loves the drama, that's why he presses send on these things. 

What next, you going to tell people to stop the sexual objectification of a page 3 girl?

On 07/02/2023 at 00:22, TeemuVanBasten said:

What's embarrassing is that you think its us that he wants the attention from, or its on us to 'leave him alone', when he publishes this stuff on social media. It goes straight into Scotland's most read newspaper, the Daily Record. 

The similarities with Prince Harry claiming he was leaving the Royal Family to seek 'privacy' and then buying a house near all the A List celebs in Los Angeles and trying to get in the papers every week are uncanny.

As much as it was unneeded and incredibly naïve from Webber to call Cantwell out at the time, with no potential upside from doing so, he was spot on about Cantwell staying out on the pitch to get his face in the newspapers when we were relegated. 

On 07/02/2023 at 08:42, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just can't see it personally, Cantwell lost a lot of goodwill, most were just a bit "meh", and there's enough other things to call Webber out for. Like the Tsoliz catastrophe, which you seem to be on board with, and the decision to take a risk on an injured DM yet again, a decision which has left us without a DM for a season, again, meaning we too often lose the midfield battles, again. I never really understood why Trybull had to be bombed out, he was a decent squad filler and backup DM who would have got a lot of football over the past two seasons due to both Normann and Hayden spending more time on the treatment table than on the pitch. 

Would really have to scrape the barrel to side with Cantwell considering the litany of poor recruitment decisions in recent years.

On 07/02/2023 at 09:20, TeemuVanBasten said:

Exactly this. Farke also to blame for this however. The club guilty of airing dirty laundry in public. 

Making the whole world know that Cantwell was a bad egg and in the U23s instantly took many millions off his value, how silly in hindsight.

We've seen how big clubs and the international manager have been reluctant to make a move for James Maddison due to past indiscretions and questions about his personality and mentality. He does seem to have grown up a bit.

But Webber has even said that he doesn't want any d*ckheads in the squad, well same applies to other Sporting Directors also, so if you tell the world that one of your players is a d*ckhead then you are instantly turning people off.

20 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To be fair when he did his first Bournemouth interviews he didn't seem to be in a good place at all, and seems happier now. 

But I take your point, that if we fancied being vindictive we didn't have to sanction the move and present him with such a good opportunity to impress a team on the up.

Suspect it is all six of one and half a dozen of the other. Bet Webber and Cantwell could share completely different versions of the same story and they'd both be largely true.

But in the real world relationships sour, people fall out. Sure most of us have things we regret from our professional lives, I know I regret some bridge burning.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

23 minutes ago, Petriix said:

He has made a bit of a brand for himself for being seen as hard hitting, straight talking, no nonsense etc. and this is no different.

Also has a dislike for all things Rangers, constantly plays up to the Celtic crowd.  It actually wouldn't surprise me if Sutton is a little stalker-like with Todd throughout the season.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

"It creates an unnecessary storm and speculation, and people will wonder why he’s brought a negative back up. We will all wait then to see what Todd’s real story is some time. Will it be a book? When will the big reveal be to 'his fans' and Norwich City fans?

"Contrast his approach to that of Jordan Hugill, who barely kicked a ball but acted with complete professionalism and respect when departing the football club and it makes it all the more bewildering. 

"If he has a beef, just get it out in the open, and he may well have a point as nobody knows what his issue is.  

What I do know is that if he wants to prosper in the Glasgow goldfish bowl, it’s best to do that with his focus fully on playing football well for Rangers and nothing else."

I see there is talk of Cantwell talking to TNC. If his plan is to use that forum to reveal whatever his complaint is then that would be a mistake. If this is something serious then he needs to be brave enough to be interviewed by a professional journalist.

Someone who will not blithely accept what Cantwell says but push back and ask hard follow-up questions to get to the truth, as opposed to the player's version of it.

Otherwise the club will have the dilemma of either responding with its version, this prolonging this nonsense, or saying nothing, which would be taken by Cantwell's supporters as a tacit admission of guilt.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I see there is talk of Cantwell talking to TNC. If his plan is to use that forum to reveal whatever his complaint is then that would be a mistake. If this is something serious then he needs to be brave enough to be interviewed by a professional journalist.

Someone who will not blithely accept what Cantwell says but push back and ask hard follow-up questions to get to the truth, as opposed to the player's version of it.

Otherwise the club will have the dilemma of either responding with its version, this prolonging this nonsense, or saying nothing, which would be taken by Cantwell's supporters as a tacit admission of guilt.

I don't see what the upside is for Cantwell here.

Really don't see what he gains.

Should really save it for a book in 15 years, £20 hardback, signing at Jarrolds. He might need the cash by then! 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Should really save it for a book in 15 years, £20 hardback, signing at Jarrolds. He might need the cash by then! 

What if he just wants to get it off his chest now, in order to move on after dealing with a stalled career?  Can that concept find it's way round your cynicism?

Todd Reminds me of a Lottery winner 

some take the money and remain Private and go off and enjoy the money without anyone knowing only close family and friends 

Some are on the front page of the Sun then moan that it brings to much attention 

He could have a quiet life if he wanted 

also i doubt you would ever here the truth come out from the club being Professional People they should just wish Todd well as they have done 

i Image sutton being a Ex Pro who has played in Glasgow and also Norwich would know more about this than most ( even though i do not really like him ) 

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

What if he just wants to get it off his chest now, in order to move on after dealing with a stalled career?  Can that concept find it's way round your cynicism?

He can do that of course 

he can do as he wants 

but i am sure a lot of clubs will stay well clear of a footballer who airs his dirty washing in public 

( if something serious then yes i agree tell all and shop them)

if it is well they didnt play me where i wanted or give me enough money then keep it to yourself and get on with life 

It’s quite simple to me-people who don’t want to read about or talk about him, should stop reading about or talking about him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

For purely selfish reasons I'd love him to get it off his chest now and I'm curious and wouldn't mind seeing it kick off between him and Webber, it would be funny.

For his own sake though I can see no upside to creating more headlines and agree with Chris Sutton that he should knuckle down  and focus on making it at Rangers.

He's had a decent start. Wait until they lose to Celtic in the cup final in 2 weeks, he may see a different side to their fan base and that's the game they really want to see him performing in.

Here's the difference @TeemuVanBasten: my posts about Gilmour exclusively talk about his performances on the pitch for Norwich. I've never viewed his social media or commented about his personality or 'attitude' or anything personal at all.

I've not watched the highlights of any of the games he's played since leaving or looked for any other faults. I have literally no interest in him, apart from to hope that I never have to see him in a Norwich shirt again.

With Cantwell I only ever saw decent performances on the pitch, aside from him looking very lost played on the wing in a 4-3-3. 

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Here's the difference @TeemuVanBasten: my posts about Gilmour exclusively talk about his performances on the pitch for Norwich. I've never viewed his social media or commented about his personality or 'attitude' or anything personal at all.

You did actually say that you didn't think Gilmour could be bothered, that seems to have been a comment about his integrity/personality to me, a slur on his character.

Meanwhile you have consistently defended a player who went missing in a relegation fight and did nothing in a yellow shirt for 19 months.

It makes no sense. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

@TeemuVanBasten: with Cantwell I only ever saw decent performances  

I'd be hard pressed to think of any worse ones than the ones we saw under Farke just before he was banished to the under 23s. Rashica first 3 games this season perhaps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd be hard pressed to think of any worse ones than the ones we saw under Farke just before he was banished to the under 23s. Rashica first 3 games this season perhaps.

The rest of the sentence (which you omitted) literally said:

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

aside from him looking very lost played on the wing in a 4-3-3. 

Which is exactly the period "under Farke just before he was banished to the under 23s".

If you really want to understand my point of view (rather than just claiming that your subjective opinion is more valid than mine) then you need to understand the context of Cantwell's decline in parallel to that of the team.

My belief is that Cantwell suffered more than anyone else with the change of tactics. We signed Rashica, Tzolis and Sargent who all played in the attacking midfield roles while reducing the number of AMs from 3 to 2.

Cantwell's strength lay in dropping between the lines, linking midfield to attack by finding pockets of space in which to receive the ball and quickly move it on. People focus on the goals and assists, but Cantwell was more about providing that penultimate pass which carved the space open. There's no state for 'assisting the assist' as far as I know, but that's what he did.

Suddenly his role didn't exist anymore. It was winger or CM and he was almost exclusively pushed into the wide attacking position when he was playing. He lacked the physical attributes for either of those jobs, but he was also totally exposed by the fragility of the midfield behind him.

No one played well in that system. The defensive structure was flawed and there was no pattern to the attacking play other than hit the channels and cross it in.

We don't know what happened to make Farke banish him. I suspect that Todd was vociferous in his unhappiness at the turn of events which had led to his 'loss of form' and he likely lost confidence before having a bit of a breakdown (with unknown external issues contributing).

We had lost a £15M player for an under 23 in a few months while we were being treated to the delights of Gilmour, PLM, Norman and Rashica. 

You'll have to forgive me for continuing to hold the belief that we would have been far more successful sticking with the 4-2-3-1 with Cantwell in his preferred position, Dowell at number 10 etc. than the incoherent mess that we witnessed.

So your 'did nothing in a yellow shirt for 19 months' is my 'tried and failed to adapt to a flawed system'. Tellingly, when we saw a return to the 4-2-3-1, we saw Cantwell at his best. The haters all conveniently ignore his exceptional cameo against Stoke; after which we only saw him a couple more times.

He was playing as well as ever (in my opinion) before Smith changed the system again and he was dropped into obscurity for the last time.

If that 'makes no sense' to you then I can't help you. 

• Like 7