dylanisabaddog

Cambridge Utd v Ipswich

Ryan Bennett playing for Cambridge. Surely he's better than that? As is Connor McGrandles. 

Both are currently doing very well. Very smiley face. 

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You’re at the match? 

How dare you!  I watched our game on TV having donated my ticket to a young child who is now hooked. 

Watching Cambridge on my laptop. If you thought things were bad here..... 

They've spent more than double any other team in the divison has. Boosted their player wages to silly levels. Not going up would be quite the disaster for the binners and now they are bottling the top two..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How dare you!  I watched our game on TV having donated my ticket to a young child who is now hooked. 

Blimey. 

What did the child do to deserve that Dylan?? 

Hooked after that performance, I guess it can only get better! 😊 😊 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They've spent more than double any other team in the divison has. Boosted their player wages to silly levels. Not going up would be quite the disaster for the binners and now they are bottling the top two..

Nice one CC. Love it . 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Watching Cambridge on my laptop. If you thought things were bad here..... 

57 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Blimey. 

What did the child do to deserve that Dylan?? 

Hooked after that performance, I guess it can only get better! 😊😊 

I think dylanisabaddog has some serious questions to answer.

Expect an early morning raid by the child protection boys any time soon ( wink )

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I see cambridge missed a penalty.

McGrandles won it I think they said on Sky Sports which is amusing...

Good result for Cambridge given that they're in the drop zone.
I hope that they manage to stay up.

It's looking quite likely that the two top East Anglian sides will be in the play-offs. Not a first as we hammered them last time, but at least a first in different divisional contests.

They are more certain than us to achieve top six. I remain confident though.

As a keen ITFC observer, it seems that the finalities of this season could be interesting with both of the top two involved to the end. 

I suspect that we have enough class and experience to succeed, but Watford bothers me.

The binners will likely have to come up against Derby and as they seem to possess a weak backbone (despite the money spent) I would fancy the Rams in that one.

Long way to go, and despite yesterday some will still cling on to  Sheffield United having a bad run.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think dylanisabaddog has some serious questions to answer.

Expect an early morning raid by the child protection boys any time soon ( wink )

Don't panic. I told her there's no such thing as Father Christmas and God to balance things up. 

But she did enjoy it apparently. I suppose we all forget our first experience of a proper football match but her grandfather said she is very keen to go again. Bless. 

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's looking quite likely that the two top East Anglian sides will be in the play-offs. Not a first as we hammered them last time, but at least a first in different divisional contests.

They are more certain than us to achieve top six. I remain confident though.

As a keen ITFC observer, it seems that the finalities of this season could be interesting with both of the top two involved to the end. 

I suspect that we have enough class and experience to succeed, but Watford bothers me.

The binners will likely have to come up against Derby and as they seem to possess a weak backbone (despite the money spent) I would fancy the Rams in that one.

Long way to go, and despite yesterday some will still cling on to  Sheffield United having a bad run.

Resident Binner here. Not going to lie, after two good recent performances, we were absolutely woeful yesterday and looked miles away from being a top two team. Any team can have a bad 45, but after starting the 2nd half well and getting an early equaliser, a top ream goes on to find a winner every time against a side like Cambridge. That we didn't, and that Cambridge looked as likely to find a winner on the counter, shows me that we are not going to finish top two. Its not a one off, we have dropped way too many points now against the weaker teams in the division.

It is looking more and more like play offs now, and even that is not a given with our current trajectory, which I'm sure would be highly amusing to you boys.

As for NCFC, I am not actually a typical Blue that hates you guys, of course I want to beat you when we play you ( although i've forgotten how that feels! ) but my preferred scenario would actually be that we were both thriving in the Premier league, ala the Brighton and Brentford. Seems a long way off currently ( especially for us! ) but I actually hope you guys make the play offs. For me it is good for East Anglia as a whole if both clubs are doing well. I may be biased as somebody that grew up in the 70's and 80's but I believe both clubs belong in the top tier of English Football. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BlueHope76 said:

Seems a long way off currently ( especially for us! ) but I actually hope you guys make the play offs. For me it is good for East Anglia as a whole if both clubs are doing well. I may be biased as somebody that grew up in the 70's and 80's but I believe both clubs belong in the top tier of English Football. 

What an exceptionally reasonable chap you are.  Do you own a hat , festooned with Corks by any chance ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BlueHope76 said:

Resident Binner here. Not going to lie, after two good recent performances, we were absolutely woeful yesterday and looked miles away from being a top two team. Any team can have a bad 45, but after starting the 2nd half well and getting an early equaliser, a top ream goes on to find a winner every time against a side like Cambridge. That we didn't, and that Cambridge looked as likely to find a winner on the counter, shows me that we are not going to finish top two. Its not a one off, we have dropped way too many points now against the weaker teams in the division.

It is looking more and more like play offs now, and even that is not a given with our current trajectory, which I'm sure would be highly amusing to you boys.

As for NCFC, I am not actually a typical Blue that hates you guys, of course I want to beat you when we play you ( although i've forgotten how that feels! ) but my preferred scenario would actually be that we were both thriving in the Premier league, ala the Brighton and Brentford. Seems a long way off currently ( especially for us! ) but I actually hope you guys make the play offs. For me it is good for East Anglia as a whole if both clubs are doing well. I may be biased as somebody that grew up in the 70's and 80's but I believe both clubs belong in the top tier of English Football. 

Fair play for sticking your head above the parapet. I'm not sure we both belong in the PL though. And being honest it's been so long since you've been in the top league that I suspect times have changed! Even millions of pounds have not helped us stay there. I think at least you're competitive again now under McKenna and he appears a far more progressive manager than any of your recent incumbents. What is the situation with your financial backing? Not seen or read anything. 

Thanks for the reasonable post. I would happily like to play you again (with the usual outcome of course!).

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Fair play for sticking your head above the parapet. I'm not sure we both belong in the PL though. And being honest it's been so long since you've been in the top league that I suspect times have changed! Even millions of pounds have not helped us stay there. I think at least you're competitive again now under McKenna and he appears a far more progressive manager than any of your recent incumbents. What is the situation with your financial backing? Not seen or read anything. 

Thanks for the reasonable post. I would happily like to play you again (with the usual outcome of course!).

You are probably right, we have been left well behind and financially things have changed dramatically, however the likes of Brentford do provide an example of how it can still be done with astute top down management and careful recruitment. McKenna seems to be a very good coach but he is still learning in management and needs to realise that you can't always play like a Premier league Team in league One. You need to win ugly sometimes, and grind out wins, especially away from home. We seem to be looking for the same goal every time, a patient ( slow ) build up, get to the by line, and cut it back for a perfect finish. Teams have now worked this out and simply sit deep and crowd out the penalty area.

In terms of our financial situation, the owners have certainly backed the Manager but despite claims to the contrary, I don't think it has been wild spending. So far they seem to be saying all the right things about being in it for the long haul. I suspect a play off finish this season ( even one that ended in failure, which seems the likely scenario currently )  would be seen as progress, even if a disappointment overall, and I believe they would give Mckenna next season to put it right. By League One standards though we have still spent quite a bit and I expect they will want a return on the investment sooner rather than later. Given that the only way you can really get financial returns it at the top table, they wont want to keep throwing money at it for too long in the 3rd tier.

1 hour ago, BlueHope76 said:

No way are you a Binner. Not with that kind of reason . No mention of Micky Mills ? Or Ray Crawford ? Nope . I’m not having it . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

No way are you a Binner. Not with that kind of reason . No mention of Micky Mills ? Or Ray Crawford ? Nope . I’m not having it . 

All those black and white photos, massive club 

2 hours ago, BlueHope76 said:

You are probably right, we have been left well behind and financially things have changed dramatically, however the likes of Brentford do provide an example of how it can still be done with astute top down management and careful recruitment. McKenna seems to be a very good coach but he is still learning in management and needs to realise that you can't always play like a Premier league Team in league One. You need to win ugly sometimes, and grind out wins, especially away from home. We seem to be looking for the same goal every time, a patient ( slow ) build up, get to the by line, and cut it back for a perfect finish. Teams have now worked this out and simply sit deep and crowd out the penalty area.

In terms of our financial situation, the owners have certainly backed the Manager but despite claims to the contrary, I don't think it has been wild spending. So far they seem to be saying all the right things about being in it for the long haul. I suspect a play off finish this season ( even one that ended in failure, which seems the likely scenario currently )  would be seen as progress, even if a disappointment overall, and I believe they would give Mckenna next season to put it right. By League One standards though we have still spent quite a bit and I expect they will want a return on the investment sooner rather than later. Given that the only way you can really get financial returns it at the top table, they wont want to keep throwing money at it for too long in the 3rd tier.

I think the only way East Anglia has a successful and sustainable EPL team, is for Norwich and Ipswich to merge. 

For the new club name, and to keep it fair, I propose we take the last 3 letters of the Suffolk club, and the first 3 of the Norfolk club, and share the W. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They should have been 2-0 down prior to the penalty being taken yesterday, I happened to be watching it with my Ipswich supporting friends.  When the foul for the penalty occurred, as the whistle was blown Cambridge actually scored.  I'm not really sure why the ref didn't wait a second to allow for that to happen, especially as it was only a yellow card offence.  Poor officiating.

Funny watching it with some Ipswich fans though, reminds me that things could be much worse.