king canary

Can Wagner make us flat track bullies?

Obviously outplayed by the best team in the league today but the run of games we have coming up is...inviting.

We don't play another current top 6 side until Sheffield United on April 1st. If we can go on a good run by beating those mid to lower mid table teams we've got a chance to solidify ourselves as a playoff team.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

And if we did go up it would be even more embarassing than the last two times with this squad and Webber overseeing the recruitment

That's the spirit.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Obviously outplayed by the best team in the league today but the run of games we have coming up is...inviting.

We don't play another current top 6 side until Sheffield United on April 1st. If we can go on a good run by beating those mid to lower mid table teams we've got a chance to solidify ourselves as a playoff team.

Wagners remit is playoffs, and he’ll be looking at this run as make or break. We need 5 wins.

Problem is, I can’t see us beating any side in the top 8.. so we’d lose in the play offs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Problem is, I can’t see us beating any side in the top 8.. so we’d lose in the play offs. 

Not entirely sure that'd be a problem. Might be for the best

• Like 1

The problem for me is we are flat track bullies. Last time we went up our record against the rest of the top 6 was terrible. We have again a terrible record against the teams you would expect to be in the top 6 the main problem is under Smith we couldn't beat the chaff. Now we will probably scrape the play off but we won't be able to beat the better teams as usual. 

5 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So you think it would be ok would it 🤣🤣🤣

Dunno pal, I can't tell the future.

55 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

And if we did go up it would be even more embarassing than the last two times with this squad and Webber overseeing the recruitment

Not necessarily. The Attanasio involvement offers us the prospect of extensive upgrades if promoted.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

For us to scrap enough to go up would be,  money aside, a mistake.

We have a new boss and a lot of players that have been around for too long and have proved not good enough for the prem.

What lest of the season should be all heading towards a better full season in the champs next season. Let him build a better team with better roots and then see what happens.

Edited by Mr Tea
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Not necessarily. The Attanasio involvement offers us the prospect of extensive upgrades if promoted.

But against that we don't have a particularly good record when we spend a lot of money on players. We seem to do much better in the bargain basement for some reason.

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

But against that we don't have a particularly good record when we spend a lot of money on players. We seem to do much better in the bargain basement for some reason.

In competitive terms, IMO Hughton's second season was our most competitive spend and that agreed with your view. The spend for our second recent premier league attempt was massive for us, but no great shakes in the grand scheme of things though, and we lost key scouting people at the worst time.

Besides, we've shown it can't be done without money; if we're now to believe it can't be done with money either, may as well give up.

• Like 1

Well off the pace today. We're not even close to Premer League quality. In fact we'll need 11 new players to even be broadly competitive.

Burnley will need similar.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

With foresight like that, I’m assuming you’ll be winning the lottery tonight and then able to invest heavily in our team?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

With foresight like that, I’m assuming you’ll be winning the lottery tonight and then able to invest heavily in our team?

So you are happy with what’s been served up and think we’d take the Prem by storm if we go up then? 

14 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Well although that seems likely at the moment we will still get the added monies and then the parachutes and hope that they are used more wisely than before. We will also have extra funding from America. Has that slipped your mind? 

Perhaps you would prefer the alternative mid-table mediocrity in the Chumps.

WE are yo-yo, and we love it.

Like you, I have my doubts about Webber. 

19 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Wagners remit is playoffs, and he’ll be looking at this run as make or break. We need 5 wins.

If you can't see us beating any of the current top 8 sides here in the championship then what hope would we have of staying up if we gained promotion?

19 hours ago, king canary said:

We don't play another current top 6 side until Sheffield United on April 1st. If we can go on a good run by beating those mid to lower mid table teams we'ŵve got a chance to solidify ourselves as a playoff team.

I think we have but do really want to go up knowing what we would have in resources? Imagine the long term damage to our future support. If nothing changes significantly I can not see a different out come.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

20 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If that's what you think then sacking Smith was a waste of money.

43 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This again. Employing Smith was the waste of money. Sacking him was just spending good money after bad, a necessitated expenditure due to us tumbling and the negativity DS created with his god awful brand of football and complete lack of giving a s***. 
Wagner can get us there, Smith wouldn’t have, the main difference however is not whether we can win it and go up, it’s whether the fans are so embittered in the meantime. However we do, ousting Smith was absolutely critical.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

This again. Employing Smith was the waste of money. Sacking him was just spending good money after bad, a necessitated expenditure due to us tumbling and the negativity DS created with his god awful brand of football and complete lack of giving a s***. 
Wagner can get us there, Smith wouldn’t have, the main difference however is not whether we can win it and go up, it’s whether the fans are so embittered in the meantime. However we do, ousting Smith was absolutely critical.

Your argument falls down in the fact that, only three games in, the view is we're going to fall short of the playoffs, so we've spent money sacking Smith for no tangible benefit other than your 'eye test'.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you can't see us beating any of the current top 8 sides here in the championship then what hope would we have of staying up if we gained promotion?

None.. this squad would get murdered. But that’s what a transfer window is for. But it doesn’t matter, we’re not going up this season!

54 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Well, there’s always a chance in the playoffs. But the sensible money, at this point, would suggest failure, to me at least.

We stand a better chance of finishing in the top 6, than we did with Smith. So a shot at the playoffs makes sacking Smith a good use of money? Or not?

We are making the play offs. ‘The view’ you have is based on a small number on this forum. That said, as I clearly stated at the end of my post. Repeat it here for you, ‘the main difference, however, is not whether we can win it or go up, it’s whether fans are so embittered in the meantime.’

You don’t go so you have no f***ing idea as per usual. Literally mental how much you think keeping as the right decision. Football is more than being just about my club making it easier for you to watch them from your armchair with better broadcast coverage. That’s your only motivation clearly, but s weird one if you think that was ever happening under DS. 

Conversation over, before you go off on one again 

59 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Utterly ridiculous  conclusion.  

Even for you.

Smith was taking us nowhere, that would have cost far more. 

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Your argument falls down in the fact that, only three games in, the view is we're going to fall short of the playoffs, so we've spent money sacking Smith for no tangible benefit other than your 'eye test'.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

I think that you are now pretending to be thick. Did you go to a facking Steiner School? Expecting praise for thinking something, anything , no matter how wrong and stupid it is.

I think there has been a bit of overreaction after yesterday. And I am confident that we can garner a pot full of points in the next six games.

We ran into a team that is walking the league and we can see why. I don't know whether or not they changed their set up to counter us but their tactic was spot on. They knew DW would want us playing out from the back and pushing the full backs up. And our midfield three became undermanned with Aarons and Dimi having to start from deep. And Cullen had a field day with nobody within five yards of him. Kenny had to hit it long and Sara and Dowell were ineffective having to cover and tackle.

Known as tactician, I am sure DW will have sorted it by next match at Bristol. I hope so, Its another I can manage to get to.

• Like 1

Not going up this season which seems highly unlikely look forward to a few years in the doldrums of the Championship.  This is due to the financial dilemma parachute payments next season already spent.  No money to finance any rebuild stuck with the current players under contract who are simply not good enough.  Three years without PL. RICHES will see the club in administration unless Mark A is willing to waste millions to fund a Webber. experiment.