Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Should the Tower of London be Demolished?

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Now we think differently thank goodness. But that does not obscure the fact that many of those protesting their existence may still be benefitting from what happened centuries ago however indirectly.

I'm afraid KG that an enormous chunk of this country's wealth comes from the slave trade and of course colonialism. 

I studied the subject a little many years ago after a guided tour of Blickling Hall. 

Someone asked the guide, quite innocently I think, where the money had come from to build it. The guide looked flustered but a man walking past said "slavery, colonialism and state sponsored piracy". The guide suggested quite firmly that the man shouldn't say things like that. 

His reply shocked me. "It was my family, I'll say what I like about them". 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid KG that an enormous chunk of this country's wealth comes from the slave trade and of course colonialism. 

I studied the subject a little many years ago after a guided tour of Blickling Hall. 

Someone asked the guide, quite innocently I think, where the money had come from to build it. The guide looked flustered but a man walking past said "slavery, colonialism and state sponsored piracy". The guide suggested quite firmly that the man shouldn't say things like that. 

His reply shocked me. "It was my family, I'll say what I like about them". 

Very true, and if you delve into your family history you're quite likely to find it.  Some of my forebears came from Deal in Kent which in C17 was well known for piracy (and excellent seamanship) - fearless, ruthless and lawless people. 

In C18 they 'went legit' if you can call it that by getting heavily involved in the East India Company, which became immensely powerful and de facto ruled India in concert with the local nabobs.  After the EIC was reined in by the British government they made their money transporting convicts to Australia.  They rose without trace, made a fortune and lost it again within two generations.

Edited by benchwarmer

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

How is asking other entertainers to step in line and not to perform a song that they themselves stopped performing eight years ago, yet seemingly allowing fans to sing what they please, a "pointed rejection"?

Removing statues is fine, that's precisely what a museum is for. Not to mention a good museum will give them far more context.

It's a pointed rejection because they made a point of publicising it rather than just having a quiet word with performers.

The statues were originally intended as public monuments to the people. Why not relocate the Tower of London in that case? To the bottom of the sea like was done with one of the statues in line with the protesters' approach to the statues?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

A "pointed rejection" doesn't mean their fans can still sing it all they like without censure.

How is a former Royal residence, the former home of the Royal Mint and indeed a UNESCO Heritage site equivalent to a statue?

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Their apologism for state sanctioned murder won't go unnoticed. Harrumph! 

To be fair he's been displaying fascist tendencies since his 3rd birthday.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

A "pointed rejection" doesn't mean their fans can still sing it all they like without censure.

How is a former Royal residence, the former home of the Royal Mint and indeed a UNESCO Heritage site equivalent to a statue?

There's really nothing Welsh Rugby Union can practically do to stop fans singing it if they want short of declare war and start kicking fans out en masse for singing. It's a pretty empty defence as far as trying to cast the decision as in any way tolerant, liberal, or permissive is concerned.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

On 04/02/2023 at 10:28, benchwarmer said:

There's nothing particularly Welsh about Delilah. It was written by two English composers. Tom Jones is a Welsh icon, and "Green Green Grass of Home" sung at the Principality Stadium before an international rugby match would be much more appropriate to the occasion.

You do realise Green Green Grass of Home was about somebody being executed for a capital crime.

Hmm, can we fill the tower first with those who war monger, those that support companies that think they are too big to stop fossil fuels being extracted, maybe a few bankers, Johnson, Truss and Ellgood, maybe invite Victoria Nuland and Pompei to visit them and then shut the gates until the whole thing disappears underneath the waves of rising sea levels.

then we can say' its done' and teach children that global warming and sea level rise has deadly consequences.