Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Empty thread

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

A- Wrong forum section.

B- The majority of people in this country do intact support capital punishment as many polls have shown over the years.

It's when I set one up on a mobile phone I miss it.

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A- Wrong forum section.

B- The majority of people in this country do intact support capital punishment as many polls have shown over the years.

Rubbish 

Screenshot_20230204_082450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4712ef416c1fa35db33d3b02853e2ca4.jpg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Rubbish 

Screenshot_20230204_082450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4712ef416c1fa35db33d3b02853e2ca4.jpg

As a confirmed bleeding heart liberal, that’s encouraging, I thought Cambridge was correct. Has that changed recently?

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

As a confirmed bleeding heart liberal, that’s encouraging, I thought Cambridge was correct. Has that changed recently?

The question has popped up a bit more lately, but usually from the cranks at GB News/headbanger sites.

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

The question has popped up a bit more lately, but usually from the cranks at GB News/headbanger sites.

Who’d have thought? RWNJs stirring the pot. When the way to actually improve crime rates would be anathema to them (better education, investments in equality and so on).

• Like 1

I think the binners are on the rise however this could be like when they were going for promotion to the Prem for 3-4 seasons, but it just would not take.

41 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nearly 59 years since the last hanging in England, it’s not coming back thank goodness. 

I’m all for tagging criminals with a chip to track them, so career criminals can be caught much easier or put off by knowing they can be easily tracked to any crime scene.

With modern technology and proof, I’m not sure I oppose to certain people who kill on mass children to be put to sleep!

Death penaly polls are usually in relation to murder. I think when more serious trangressions are considered such as posting empty threads in the wrong part of a forum  the support would be significantly higher than 75%.

• Haha 9

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Full life sentence should mean that

I notice Gary Glitter was released after serving half his sentence which shouldn't be happening in my opinion 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I notice Gary Glitter was released after serving half his sentence which shouldn't be happening in my opinion 

Oh come on come on. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Agreed. You are sentenced at the time to 16 years for the crime you committed. But if you are a good boy in prison, you can come out after 8. Of course he will behave in prison, there aren't any young girls for him to assault.

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The majority of people in this country do intact support capital punishment as many polls have shown over the years.

That was true until a few years ago, now its a minority position.

However when they poll on individual types of crime it changes slightly, recent poll showed 54% would support it for a terrorism conviction.

If you polled "would you support the death penalty for prolific child sex offenders" or same for "multiple offences for rape" then you'd probably get a clear majority voting yes again.

But the straight question "should we bring back the death penalty" no longer gets a majority voting yes.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 04/02/2023 at 09:06, Nuff Said said:

Who’d have thought? RWNJs stirring the pot. When the way to actually improve crime rates would be anathema to them (better education, investments in equality and so on).

And Lee Anderson. 🤨

1 hour ago, Herman said:

And Lee Anderson. 🤨

The Tory party seems to get more embarrassing daily.

• Like 1

It appears that one question has never been asked by pollsters. 

If you were incorrectly found guilty of murder would you still support the death penalty? 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

And Lee Anderson. 🤨

Great politics for his constituents. Just keep asking the interviewer "Have you ever told a lie?". So that is the way to admit eventually that you did set up the interview.

Used to believe in the death penalty, but whilst it stops reoffending (well, dead criminals can't reoffend), it never was a deterrent. That argument was a red herring.

I think we put too many people in prison who really shouldn't be there. Council tax/TV licence avoidance? Doesn't deserve jail time for me. In fact, I'd say that for any financial crime and just keep prison for those who are physical threats.

Edited by TheGunnShow

On 04/02/2023 at 15:34, TeemuVanBasten said:

That was true until a few years ago, now its a minority position.

However when they poll on individual types of crime it changes slightly, recent poll showed 54% would support it for a terrorism conviction.

If you polled "would you support the death penalty for prolific child sex offenders" or same for "multiple offences for rape" then you'd probably get a clear majority voting yes again.

But the straight question "should we bring back the death penalty" no longer gets a majority voting yes.

That’s encouraging overall

However, it does imply there is a small minority who believe we should bring back state killing* for certain emotive crimes but should not bring back state killing**

* Disgree but can understand

** Agree but don’t understand how that works!

5 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

That’s encouraging overall

However, it does imply there is a small minority who believe we should bring back state killing* for certain emotive crimes but should not bring back state killing**

* Disgree but can understand

** Agree but don’t understand how that works!

I'm assuming these questions weren't on the same poll, so questions weren't asked side by side?

Basically a lesson in human psychology I think. That an outcome can be swayed significantly by the way a question is posed. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm assuming these questions weren't on the same poll, so questions weren't asked side by side?

Basically a lesson in human psychology I think. That an outcome can be swayed significantly by the way a question is posed. 

Yep absolutely 

49 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Used to believe in the death penalty, but whilst it stops reoffending (well, dead criminals can't reoffend), it never was a deterrent. That argument was a red herring.

I think we put too many people in prison who really shouldn't be there. Council tax/TV licence avoidance? Doesn't deserve jail time for me. In fact, I'd say that for any financial crime and just keep prison for those who are physical threats.

About 100 people get sent to prison each year for not paying their Council Tax. There is a suggestion that up to 20% of these probably shouldn’t be sent there.  But people who rely on the “Freeman on the land” argument, or not having consented to pay, or not having entered into a contract, or any of the other various arguments to avoid payment, should definitely go to prison if they ultimately refuse to pay.

15 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

About 100 people get sent to prison each year for not paying their Council Tax. There is a suggestion that up to 20% of these probably shouldn’t be sent there.  But people who rely on the “Freeman on the land” argument, or not having consented to pay, or not having entered into a contract, or any of the other various arguments to avoid payment, should definitely go to prison if they ultimately refuse to pay.

I disagree completely, but this is where I think our legal system has its priorities wrong and it is therefore a discussion of differing principles. As I said in my previous comment, I think prison - which is basically a physical loss of liberty - should only be reserved for those who are physical threats (murder/manslaughter/rape/assault etc.). 

A non-payer of tax/Council Tax/TV licence etc. is not such a threat so I don't see a penalty based on loss of liberty as justifiable.

49 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Any opportunity for this clip:

https://youtu.be/ahgjEjJkZks