TIL 1010

Delilah Subject To Controversy.

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Or let art be art?

I’m not sure why we feel the need to censor everything remotely thought provoking, controversial and uncomfortable.

It’s not like the lyrics glorify the act, he’s regretting his actions and knows he will be punished.

I'm a million miles from being woke, but I don't see the need for thousands of people to sing, in unison, lyrics about a murder.

It might be a marginal issue and just a pop song of limited artistic value, but youngsters will be among those singing it.

I could perseverate and mention the disturbing increase in knife-crime among the young today, but perhaps that would be taking it too far in relation to a sixties pop song with a good chorus.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

The song is nothing if not obvious, I find it hard for anyone not to know. But it is also just a song, not an instruction manual for people to kill each other.  This sort of ban gets on the way of things where there really is an issue that needs looking at. 

I know from your previous posts that you are an intelligent person. The problem with intelligent people is that sometimes they assume everyone has the same level of reasoning as them. They don't. Just try to imagine someone who is not particularly bright and a bit aggressive having a few drinks in the pub, singing "she saw the knife in my hand and she laughed no more" with the whole pub then going home to a female partner who moans at them for being drunk and late.....

As an aside, this was discussed on 5 Live yesterday and an MP who lives close to the Wales stadium said that domestic violence figures go through the roof after big sporting events which is a bit disturbing. He said that the police in his constituency spend a huge amount of time dealing with domestic violence. 

I'd be inclined to ban the song because I think it's just tasteless and I can't see the point in upsetting people for no good reason. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I know from your previous posts that you are an intelligent person. The problem with intelligent people is that sometimes they assume everyone has the same level of reasoning as them. They don't. Just try to imagine someone who is not particularly bright and a bit aggressive having a few drinks in the pub, singing "she saw the knife in my hand and she laughed no more" with the whole pub then going home to a female partner who moans at them for being drunk and late.....

As an aside, this was discussed on 5 Live yesterday and an MP who lives close to the Wales stadium said that domestic violence figures go through the roof after big sporting events which is a bit disturbing. He said that the police in his constituency spend a huge amount of time dealing with domestic violence. 

I'd be inclined to ban the song because I think it's just tasteless and I can't see the point in upsetting people for no good reason. 

Good post, although I wouldn't agree to banning it. Where would it end? The McGowern song has already been mentioned, and that's more tongue in cheek than offensive, imo.

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

They're not banning it just simply not having it in their repertoire anymore. 

I put this firmly in the "they're banning Christmas" folder of outrage. 

Yep. Smells like more media-fuelled "culture war" gibberish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's a piece of art, just as Every Breath you Take is a piece of art about obsession and jealousy over a former partner.

There's nobody directing people to sing it; they're choosing to sing it for their own reasons and nobody has any right to tell them not to.

In their own privacy? I'd agree with you.

In club premises, the club determines what is and ain't appropriate.

Would you be OK with songs with more aggressive meaning/wording? You have to draw the line somewhere don't you?

Just now, mrD66M said:

In their own privacy? I'd agree with you.

In club premises, the club determines what is and ain't appropriate.

Would you be OK with songs with more aggressive meaning/wording? You have to draw the line somewhere don't you?

The club doesn't determine what is and isn't appropriate; the law of the land determines what is and isn't appropriate.

26 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'd allow the main refrain, and maybe get Sir Tom Jones to rework the lyrics to something more suited to sport.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep. Smells like more media-fuelled "culture war" gibberish.

It's good business. Keep people irate about the trivialities and they won't notice the things they should be angry about. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The club doesn't determine what is and isn't appropriate; the law of the land determines what is and isn't appropriate.

Splitting hairs here. You can sing it in public if you want without Johnny Law bothering you, and you can get warned / barred / banned from football club grounds for the very same action. Just depends on how said club wants to portray itself as, more progressive or more traditional..

2 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

Splitting hairs here. You can sing it in public if you want without Johnny Law bothering you, and you can get warned / barred / banned from football club grounds for the very same action. Just depends on how said club wants to portray itself as, more progressive or more traditional..

It also depends how many fans buy into what the club is trying to argue, which appears to be not many in this instance.

"Nessun dorma" is a song about a princess who has beheaded several suitors and wishes to behead one more.  Is a ban coming?

Edited by dsr-burnley

56 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm a million miles from being woke, but I don't see the need for thousands of people to sing, in unison, lyrics about a murder.

It might be a marginal issue and just a pop song of limited artistic value, but youngsters will be among those singing it.

I could perseverate and mention the disturbing increase in knife-crime among the young today, but perhaps that would be taking it too far in relation to a sixties pop song with a good chorus.

Why does you personally not seeing the need for something legitimise prohibiting it? Why should a piece of artistic work be prohibited and others be prohibited from enjoying it because of your personal sensibilities?

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

"Nessun dorma" is a song about a princess who wishes to behead a suitor.  Is a ban coming?

Wait until you hear A Boy Named Sue. Violence, guns, boy given an ostensibly girl's name....

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

What if 'Kick it off...' turned out to be about kicking an unfaithful wife over the edge at Overstrand Cliffs?

Kick it off (Goodbye you old hag!), throw it in (Welcome, younger, more naive hotter lady), have a little scrimmage (Well you know.. With her sister too if she's interested), Keep it low (Good girl..), Splendid rush... Bravvooooooooooooooooooooh!!! i've just accidentally released all over your face!! 

I'm of normal mind, by the way... At least, I Was before coming here! 

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It also depends how many fans buy into what the club is trying to argue, which appears to be not many in this instance.

That suggests a disconnect between fans and club board. Hardly surprising.

Wonder if Newcastle fans sang "Nessum dorma" (they don't but I'm testing an hypothesis) as a club anthem for years... if the new ownership banned it, would it be seen as woke or not?

Just now, mrD66M said:

That suggests a disconnect between fans and club board. Hardly surprising.

Wonder if Newcastle fans sang "Nessum dorma" (they don't but I'm testing an hypothesis) as a club anthem for years... if the new ownership banned it, would it be seen as woke or not?

More to the point, would Newcastle fans be tricked into going to the Saudi embassy where they'd be beheaded if they didn't fall into line?

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

What if 'Kick it off...' turned out to be about kicking an unfaithful wife over the edge at Overstrand Cliffs?

Kick it off (Goodbye you old hag!), throw it in (Welcome, younger, more naive hotter lady), have a little scrimmage (Well you know.. With her sister too if she's interested), Keep it low (Good girl..), Splendid rush... Bravvooooooooooooooooooooh!!! i've just accidentally released all over your face!! 

Hurrah, we've scored a goal!

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Hurrah, we've scored a goal!

VAR rules it an own goal.... Explains the stubble, I guess! :classic_blush:

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Why does you personally not seeing the need for something legitimise prohibiting it? Why should a piece of artistic work be prohibited and others be prohibited from enjoying it because of your personal sensibilities?

Dear oh dear!

Why should they enjoy it less if a few words were changed? Kids sing this song.

Where exactly did I say it should be prohibited, when I actually said the precise opposite?

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

VAR rules it an own goal.... Explains the stubble, I guess! :classic_blush:

Well, I thought it was gonna be ruled out for an armpit offside.

• Haha 1

It's getting to the point that soon anything and everything that has happened in the past will be seen as politically incorrect or inappropriate in some way.

Delilah is a song, it's a story, it's art. Ban that and you have to ban a million other songs, destroy a million pictures depicting violence art and destroy millions of books.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's getting to the point that soon anything and everything that has happened in the past will be seen as politically incorrect or inappropriate in some way.

Delilah is a song, it's a story, it's art. Ban that and you have to ban a million other songs, destroy a million pictures depicting violence art and destroy millions of books.

Yes, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves will no doubt soon face cancellation, or at the very least trigger warnings because of the “problematic” deliberate poisoning with intent to kill that’s central to the story.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hmm..  interesting.

Do you think that social institutions (football clubs included) and places like pubs, restaurants, shops etc are not allowed to change the songs they used to play there?

If you can play the song in.the privacy and comfort of your own home, and sing it in public, it's not banning it, is it?

Why are you projecting?

I think at the crux of the issue is that clubs portray themselves in certain ways to attract paying customers and investment. And the investors want to portrayed by clubs in certain ways too. All about economics at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, mrD66M said:

Hmm..  interesting.

Do you think that social institutions (football clubs included) and places like pubs, restaurants, shops etc are not allowed to change the songs they used to play there?

If you can play the song in.the privacy and comfort of your own home, and sing it in public, it's not banning it, is it?

Why are you projecting?

I think at the crux of the issue is that clubs portray themselves in certain ways to attract paying customers and investment. And the investors want to portrayed by clubs in certain ways too. All about economics at the end of the day.

I think it’s more about trying to minimise the damage caused by the inevitable witch-hunt and Twitterstorm from the fashionably intolerant and hyper-offended.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Reminds me of how every single year at Christmas there's a debate about whether its appropriate for 'fairytale of new York' to be played on the radio and if the song should be banned from the airwaves for having a homophobic slur in it.

Every.single.year

Baby It’s Cold Outside too. Apparently the line “Say what’s in this drink?” isn’t two people flirting but an incitement to spike drinks. 

FF61DA09-CF10-47DC-B45C-75F0471B155C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I think it’s more about trying to minimise the damage caused by the inevitable witch-hunt and Twitterstorm from the fashionably intolerant and hyper-offended.

The "fashionable intolerant and hyper offended" get a vote too, you see... whatever their motives. 

Should we ban Twitter? (I've never used it btw) 😂

1 minute ago, mrD66M said:

The "fashionable intolerant and hyper offended" get a vote too, you see... whatever their motives. 

Should we ban Twitter? (I've never used it btw) 😂

Interesting question, and I see where you’re coming from.  Clearly the answer is no, but that doesn’t change the fact that much of social media is toxic and that people with an agenda shout loudest.