Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Right, so he was much faster than most in the juniors if I've understood you correctly - he'll have had physical dominance in an aspect where youngsters may not have fully developed - and when with the pros those gaps have closed up.

Hmmm, not sure thats what i was saying, he was outstanding at that  level( inter league comps)  in most facets of being a player. Sure he was quick, but the standard  was high enough for that alone not to be enough. He performed well at the kennedy cup..... being one of the most   talked about  players at the tournament. The biggest surprise for me was that he signed for us, his manager phoned me  the day he signed, proud as punch as he knew i was a city fan, and he knew  that the fee received  would do wonders for his Club. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Hmmm, not sure thats what i was saying, he was outstanding at that  level( inter league comps)  in most facets of being a player. Sure he was quick, but the standard  was high enough for that alone not to be enough. He performed well at the kennedy cup..... being one of the most   talked about  players at the tournament. The biggest surprise for me was that he signed for us, his manager phoned me  the day he signed, proud as punch as he knew i was a city fan, and he knew  that the fee received  would do wonders for his Club. 

Fair enough, that means my comment re. his potential weakness being potentially a slight lack of mental adjustment from being physically dominant in some aspect as a younger player does not apply.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair enough, that means my comment re. his potential weakness being potentially a slight lack of mental adjustment from being physically dominant in some aspect as a younger player does not apply.

Id be inclined to agree with the " joint  compromised" assessment myself, hes piled on the muscle and height since he was 16... thats gonna take adjustment....and may ( in his case has) present  hurdles along the way. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Id be inclined to agree with the " joint  compromised" assessment myself, hes piled on the muscle and height since he was 16... thats gonna take adjustment....and may ( in his case has) present  hurdles along the way. 

Aye, wasn't that also part of Omo's back trouble - late spurt in development and resulting bodily imbalances?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Aye, wasn't that also part of Omo's back trouble - late spurt in development and resulting bodily imbalances?

Quite possibly, i dont know. I have however seen it many times in young players.  

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Right, so he was much faster than most in the juniors if I've understood you correctly - he'll have had physical dominance in an aspect where youngsters may not have fully developed - and when with the pros those gaps have closed up.

Watch this video from 1.01 to 1.23 Gunny. Don't watch the ball - watch Idah in the centre/bottom of the picture and how fast he's moving. Comically, the Reading right back just goes 'nah I can't keep up with him' and gives up. Idah is STILL a lot faster than most of the players he's playing with at professional level. 

• Thanks 1

It's a big show of faith in him from the club but it's clear they've rated him very highly for a long time. He's pretty much exactly a year younger than Sargent but has played nearly 2 seasons less of football in terms of 90s and even then so little of that comes from starting games as opposed to coming on as a sub. 

Webber's line in there about investing in development is funny because he is probably the academy player we have invested the least in. Obviously striker is a crucial position and there's usually only room for 1 and when that's Teemu Pukki you will always have a tough time. He should've gone on loan after he scored that hat-trick against Preston. Since then he's been in limbo as he's better than anything the club could expect to spend on a backup to Pukki.

I think it's pretty clear now that the club are planning as if Pukki is leaving at the end of the year, if we don't get promoted that's a given anyway, if we go up it may be a trickier decision for both parties.

4 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Impressed he knows how to write

Do we wait for that sentence to be completed, or are you unaware of how to use punctuation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Does this strengthen the suspicion that Pukki is definitely going at the end of the season and he has made this known to the club?

I think that's closer to a foregone conclusion than a suspicion at this point.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think that's closer to a foregone conclusion than a suspicion at this point.

I think its closer to a forgone conclusion than a suspicion at this point that Adam Idah has  signed a new contract.   

Great news. I've every confidence in Wagner getting the best out of Idah. Strikers will always be sought after, heck even Hugill manages to find a club. A long term contract is entirely sensible.

The club must be fairly confident on his future fitness, and well played his agent, who read the room pretty well what with Pukki likely off in the summer.

They must see something in him which isn't obvious to most. Hopefully they're right. I'm not sold on him, but not writing him off either.

On 02/02/2023 at 22:10, paddycanary said:

What do you mean by that Jedi? 

Ok, I confess, being a little nasty with that comment. He does give the impression sometimes that he fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down…

But if he can deliver on the pitch then that’s all that matters!

On 02/02/2023 at 22:09, Google Bot said:

Do we wait for that sentence to be completed, or are you unaware of how to use punctuation?

Lol touché [full stop]

Obviously he's had a lot of time out injured, but if we look at his stats on a per minute basis, they're not exactly great. 

Over the last two seasons (technically 1.63 seasons), he's scored 2 goals in 900 minutes of league football (0.2 goals per 90).

His career average in the league is 0.31 goals per 90, 5 goals in 1443 minutes of football. And three of those goals came in the 20/21 championship season. In that entire time, he's had 2 assists.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-idah/leistungsdaten/spieler/434223/plus/0?saison=ges

16 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Not good enough, get rid

Sadly I agree.

Keep hearing he has all the attributes to be a good player, which I agree with…he IS big, strong and quick.

Sadly he doesn’t know how to use those attributes. Honestly don’t think he is a very good football player!

He also seems decidedly uninterested half the time, just seems a bit dopey in his play and not particularly bothered.

For the life of me I can’t understand why in earth we gave him a 5 year contract, if anything that will just make him even more complacent.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Obviously he's had a lot of time out injured, but if we look at his stats on a per minute basis, they're not exactly great. 

Over the last two seasons (technically 1.63 seasons), he's scored 2 goals in 900 minutes of league football (0.2 goals per 90).

His career average in the league is 0.31 goals per 90, 5 goals in 1443 minutes of football. And three of those goals came in the 20/21 championship season. In that entire time, he's had 2 assists.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-idah/leistungsdaten/spieler/434223/plus/0?saison=ges

I don't love using per minutes for cases like Idah because so much of his time on the pitch is off the bench. I don't think it's a coincidence his best run in the side was when he actually started games.

14 minutes ago, repman said:

I don't love using per minutes for cases like Idah because so much of his time on the pitch is off the bench. I don't think it's a coincidence his best run in the side was when he actually started games.

Possibly but would you really start him over pukki and sergeant ????

45 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Possibly but would you really start him over pukki and sergeant ????

No 

1 hour ago, repman said:

Would'nt make an ounze of difference.He's not very good. Plus,as an earlier post noted,he does'nt seem to bright,considering his numerous illegal parking offences. That,or extremely arrogant. Which does'nt bode well.

1 hour ago, repman said:

If you can think of a fairer stat by which to assess his goal contributions then please let enlighten me. 

Note that goals per minute will naturally weight in favour of games where he started as opposed to coming off the bench, because starts typically involve more minutes.  

1 hour ago, The Bunny said:

If you can think of a fairer stat by which to assess his goal contributions then please let enlighten me. 

Note that goals per minute will naturally weight in favour of games where he started as opposed to coming off the bench, because starts typically involve more minutes.  

No I can't think of a fairer stat but I also think that you can look a bit deeper into them. A good third of his current minutes are from the bench. Also, 1400 minutes is 16 games, that's a tiny sample size to judge a footballer on!

I'm just of the view that none of us have seen enough of him to really make good judgements. The club on the other hand have much more to go off and it's clear they rate the guy. 

Also he's 21, he'll be hitting his traditional prime years at the end of this new deal. I just looked at the top 4 championship scorers, their ages are 27,26,24,27. The 24 year old, Gyokeres, is valued at £20m+ by Coventry. The 4th highest scorer is Carlton Morris, which goes to show that a player at 21 is not the finished article. 

If Idah was scoring a goal every 2 games at the age he is now he wouldn't be a Norwich player for long, just because he isn't a superstar it doesn't mean he isn't valuable to us. If over the next 5 seasons he plays 30 games and scores a goal every 3 games he'd end up with 50 goals, that's not bad for an academy product.

On 04/02/2023 at 15:32, rock bus said:

Sadly I agree.

Keep hearing he has all the attributes to be a good player, which I agree with…he IS big, strong and quick.

Sadly he doesn’t know how to use those attributes. Honestly don’t think he is a very good football player!

He also seems decidedly uninterested half the time, just seems a bit dopey in his play and not particularly bothered.

For the life of me I can’t understand why in earth we gave him a 5 year contract, if anything that will just make him even more complacent.

Sadly I also agree!

Doesn't turn quick, compete good enough in the air considering his height, has poor awareness of situations occurring and has a lot of time out injured.

Seems to me very over rated by the club, definitely not worth a 5 year contract.  

In fact I'd have been more comfortable with Hugill remaining cause I think hes offers more.

Edited by kingsway

Hopefully Idah can show a little form or goals and the club can get a good return on him because he is well short of ever being a premier league player and that’s where we should be setting our standards.

The club have financially set him up for life. Hopefully his mindset is that of a Bellamy or Sutton, two truly talented former young strikers, but from his games to date, hasn’t shown anything like their desire and determination, not to mention talent.

He frustrates me, as I’m sure he does with anyone who has to try and play along side him. The positions and runs he makes is that of a novice imo 

I can’t understand how he gets a 5 year contract, he must have a bloody good agent, as he’s shown very little in the shirt!

Edited by Sheva

10 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

certainly offered more than Sargent yesterday

Yes Sargent had one of his worst games yesterday but lets look over the whole season to date to see whos the better option! - Even if he was fit all season I doubt that Idah would have done as much as our Ronald Mcdonald lookalike US striker has!

I suspect that playing for Norwich will be highest level Idah ever plays at and will in the next season or two be playing at League 1 level.  

Edited by kingsway