Fantastic news.

He's still only 21 - some people on here forget this because it seems he's already been around for a long time. As Wagner and Webber both said, he's got all physical attributes to go to the very top - he's in one of the very best places to carry on developing his game. 

I'd love it to work out for Idah. He's been really unlucky with injuries. In between those, there have been a lot of barren stretches and only the occasional glimpse of ability against competitive opposition. There's been little to suggest he's going to transform into the player that everyone keeps saying he is. But I'd love to be proven wrong. 

It is a big show of faith...and not one I am particularly sure on if I'm honest. 

I just dont think he will ever be of a quality needed for top championship/premier league.

Interesting that Wagner describes him as having a 'raw, natural ability' but given he is 21 surely by now some of his potential should've been realised. 

I still think he would benefit from time on loan (preferably in Championship) so he gets chance to play week in week out rather than a bit player like he is at moment.

Occasional glimpses of talent. I suppose it makes sense to tie down any young future talent we have. Remains to be seen whether he is ever going to improve to the levels many assumed as he'll need to start cracking on now.

He's also rebranding as Ada Midah, to bring an area of exotic mystery to his appeal.  Good on him!  Long deal that one. 🙂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

I'd love it to work out for Idah. He's been really unlucky with injuries. In between those, there have been a lot of barren stretches and only the occasional glimpse of ability against competitive opposition. There's been little to suggest he's going to transform into the player that everyone keeps saying he is. But I'd love to be proven wrong. 

You won't be wrong,I can assure you of that. Injuries or no injuries,i've seen nothing that deserves that kind of contract.

• Confused 1

He has all the attributes to be a top player. I'm not sure we have seen enough yet. He sometimes looks lost and lazy to me. But good on the club for believing we will see something from him.

Possibly good enough for this league. If we go up then he is under a good enough contract to sell on for an ok fee as just not a prem striker.

Huge potential. Smith got him looking like a real force, until he was injured. With the right coaching, he will go a long way - and Wagner is the ideal man for that and will be encouraging him to have a go.

• Like 5

He's suffered from a litany of injuries and, like all other strikers not called Pukki that have been with us since Pukki's arrival, from not being Teemu Pukki. The net result is that he's not had too much game time up top and has a considerable proportion of appearances which are off-the-bench cameos or shunted on a wing. Not to mention where he's not had the team built around his strengths.

Idah and Sargent are, for me at least, not dissimilar players but Josh has much more aggression and will always look to try and force things. Idah's primary weakness IMO, apart from those injuries, is that I get the impression he was one of those young players who was so physically dominant he could overpower fellow youngsters until they physically caught up, and needs to be feistier now.

Showed in that West Ham defeat that he could really unsettle Premier League defences when he got up on one though.

• Like 2

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Does this strengthen the suspicion that Pukki is definitely going at the end of the season and he has made this known to the club?

Not totally out of the question, but I think it's primarily about tying down promising young talents on long contracts so if they kick on very well, we maximise what we can earn from them.

• Like 1

Yes. It's an extremely long contract and Idah has shown enough and has enough attributes to always be in demand. Young Irish international with PL experience. 

He won't be lost for free now, and there will be no shortage of Championship clubs interested in him should we reach our aspired goal and decide that he is not up to it.

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

Wonder how much of those 5 years will be spent in the physio room

Can't recall. Has it only been this season that he has been plagued withy injuries, or has he been prone in the past?

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not totally out of the question, but I think it's primarily about tying down promising young talents on long contracts so if they kick on very well, we maximise what we can earn from them.

But the issue here is he’s hardly what I’d call “promising” anymore. Sure in the grand scheme of the world he’s stupidly young but he’s been in and around the first team for years, ever since that amazing performance against Preston. He just hasn’t really kicked on. I get that we’re tying him down with a new contract but 5 years seems too lengthy to me. That’s all really. I’d love for him to really come on though. Just not sure he ever will or could. 

3 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

But the issue here is he’s hardly what I’d call “promising” anymore. Sure in the grand scheme of the world he’s stupidly young but he’s been in and around the first team for years, ever since that amazing performance against Preston. He just hasn’t really kicked on. I get that we’re tying him down with a new contract but 5 years seems too lengthy to me. That’s all really. I’d love for him to really come on though. Just not sure he ever will or could. 

That's mainly because of what I'd said first time out - a litany of injuries (not uncommon amongst young players who developed physically very quickly - look at Omo's back trouble as a prime example) and the fact he's not Pukki, who basically has had the team built around his strengths since his arrival under Farke. Idah doesn't really have those strengths. That's part of the reason, I think at least, why he's not quite kicked on.

He's still, as you say, 'stupidly young' and already has quite a bit of experience under his belt that would have been more if not for his travails. Not to mention that young strikers on a hot streak usually yield plenty of cash for the selling club.

24 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's suffered from a litany of injuries and, like all other strikers not called Pukki that have been with us since Pukki's arrival, from not being Teemu Pukki. The net result is that he's not had too much game time up top and has a considerable proportion of appearances which are off-the-bench cameos or shunted on a wing. Not to mention where he's not had the team built around his strengths.

Idah and Sargent are, for me at least, not dissimilar players but Josh has much more aggression and will always look to try and force things. Idah's primary weakness IMO, apart from those injuries, is that I get the impression he was one of those young players who was so physically dominant he could overpower fellow youngsters until they physically caught up, and needs to be feistier now.

Showed in that West Ham defeat that he could really unsettle Premier League defences when he got up on one though.

Idah was never that big as a yoot. He was pacey and nimble .....that why its gonna take time for him to grow into his frame. The phrase DS  used was muscle compromised... i believe this abates over time.  

I watched him play at least ten times when he was aged 12 -16. Size was not his main strength at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Idah was never that big as a yoot. He was pacey and nimble .....that why its gonna take time for him to grow into his frame. The phrase DS  used was muscle compromised... i believe this abates over time.  

I watched him play at least ten times when he was aged 12 -16. Size was not his main strength at all.

Was he much faster than most, Corkie?

EDIT: Simple reason why I ask that - it reminds me of an absolute speedster at a local team here that I refereed in my teens. They had an 11-year-old striker who could sprint faster than me, a then 17-year-old ref. All he basically did was give the last defender two yards start and wait for the ball over the top or into the channel. Flew into Bolton's academy double-quick. Did ****-all and got released in his teens when facing other youngsters who didn't have those physical disadvantages.

Edited by TheGunnShow

His potential is massive, he hasn’t played enough matches, he should have been out on loan twice by now and also he has missed lots of game through injury.  Well done Adam, he has clearly impressed the new coach.  BTW if Pukki does stay his role and proportion of game time next season will change, which should give Josh and Adam more game time.

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Was he much faster than most, Corkie?

EDIT: Simple reason why I ask that - it reminds me of an absolute speedster at a local team here that I refereed in my teens. They had an 11-year-old striker who could sprint faster than me, a then 17-year-old ref. All he basically did was give the last defender two yards start and wait for the ball over the top or into the channel. Flew into Bolton's academy double-quick. Did ****-all and got released in his teens when facing other youngsters who didn't have those physical disadvantages.

He was pretty Zippy alreet! Also had good close control and finishing. There was a point when , if he was bursting through on goal that you'd just accept he was going to stick it away.

• Like 1

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

He was pretty Zippy alreet! Also had good close control and finishing. There was a point when , if he was bursting through on goal that you'd just accept he was going to stick it away.

Right, so he was much faster than most in the juniors if I've understood you correctly - he'll have had physical dominance in an aspect where youngsters may not have fully developed - and when with the pros those gaps have closed up.