Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Peter Mendham

While I’m sure he hasn’t had an easy time with things, he’s left out  another major event that happened in his life that we all know about 

• Like 3

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

While I’m sure he hasn’t had an easy time with things, he’s left out  another major event that happened in his life that we all know about 

I thought exactly the same. 

Think it's reasonable to say that the big wages in professional football worldwide only came about in the last twenty years or so but people's perceptions of pro footballers may have been skewed by those at the very top of the tree. One of my favourite stories of past footballers who worked after retiring from football was former World Cup and serial Bundesliga winner Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck. He took over a relative's stationery store when he retired from football and worked there until finally retiring in 2008. Even then, he still supplied stationery to Bayern after that.

There was an interview where he said the only thing he regretted was not being a bit tougher in contract negotiations.

Back to the UK, Garry Nelson wrote a tale or two of low wages at the lowest levels of the pro game with Torquay United in Left Foot In The Grave. Dated a bit now, but I still think the observations are grand.

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I thought exactly the same. 

There’s one or two on here who’ll conventionally forget that night. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Played in the same team as him at Primary School. Both wingers. And that is where the similarities end. 

Saw that piece on FB last night too. And I'm not sure he has got over stuff reading his post, even though he stated he has.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Played in the same team as him at Primary School. Both wingers. And that is where the similarities end. 

Saw that piece on FB last night too. And I'm not sure he has got over stuff reading his post, even though he stated he has.

It does read a bit like that doesn't it.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s one or two on here who’ll conventionally forget that night. 

Really? Care to elaborate. 

1 minute ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I'm slightly surprised at the figure of £400 a week wage

Back then, I had always assumed most of the 1st team, including Peter Mendham, would be earning + or - £300 either side of £1k, or thereabouts. 

He may be being selective,  and not including win / goal / appearance/ league position bonuses for example. 

Very sad story.

I never met the chap but he came to NZ to play in our off season. To play for Miramar Rangers, the neighbourhood I lived in but didn't play for. City were sending a few lads out in the close season. John Fashanu was not liked as he charged for signed photos etc and walked about like a prized prat. But Peter was loved. He played at a level far below his but gave his all. And when he finally left for home the club showered him with mementos etc. And he cried at the presentation as he was touched by the clubs respect for him.

So I guess there is a decent bloke in there and maybe what he did is inexcusable and unforgettable but obviously not something he wants to elaborate on too much anymore.

5 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I'm slightly surprised at the figure of £400 a week wage

Back then, I had always assumed most of the 1st team, including Peter Mendham, would be earning + or - £300 either side of £1k, or thereabouts. 

The players didn't have agents then and were told take it or leave it.

My first wages £4 a week but still managed 5 years later to buy a house

When Peter played £300 to £400 a week would have been equivalent to a very very good wage today

We all make mistakes in life and I for one have made many financially wrong decisions 

Edited by daly

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not sure they have improved the game for the fans 

40 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

He may be being selective,  and not including win / goal / appearance/ league position bonuses for example. 

Fair point 

I have no idea of what bonuses were on offer in those days, though 

38 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Not sure they have improved the game for the fans 

They are parasites mate. Does any of that money filter through back into the game? Some agents fees are the equivalent of keeping a lower league club solvent.

And clubs moan they can't pass more on to lower leagues. Bull. They just don't want to.

If we are not in the EU anymore, why don't we go back to the 3 foreign player rule?

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Testimonial match after career ended and employed by the club too after. I don’t want to stick the knife in but he was looked after to be fair. 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Winning the FA Vase with Diss Town? 

• Haha 2

Bumped into Peter Mendham recently at a very working class restaurant. I haven’t spoken to him for maybe 30 years, we used to know each other through football.

What I can say is that he was the same upbeat friendly and polite lad now as he was then, always eager to chat, joke and show a happy side.

All he says about his finances sounds true to me. 

Peter came into football at least 20 years to early, to make any real money. He would have trained/ played with Ted McDougal, Phil Boyer and Martin Peters etc, top players. Martin Peters was the highest paid at the club and that was just £300 per week. All of this era, went back to work after they were finished with football or if very lucky became a manger/ coach but still before the big bucks came.

Peter Mendham absolutely wanted to play for Norwich City, he came to them as a young skinny, leggy left winger. He was kicked and bullied in his first trial game, but just picked himself up and carried on, he was tough. I was not surprised that he made the grade, as a pro footballer he was spot on, his off field life didn’t go so well and he’s paid the price. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Naughty ( smiley face )

Cheap, naughty but valid. Everyone deserves chances in life but the lack of acknowledgment in his verse deserved it. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

So I guess there is a decent bloke in there and maybe what he did is inexcusable and unforgettable but obviously not something he wants to elaborate on too much anymore.

Very. And actually, for those that do follow him on social media, he has touched on that period of his life and he has nothing but remorse for it. It doesn't make it right nor better, but he has also served his time.

I would say that he is an example of someone that these days would be far better looked after. He came from a hard working family, from my understanding, and then was able to do something that very, very few people are able to do and not just play for the club you support and follow but also win a trophy with them.

Then to have your career cut short at 29. Again, these days there is a lot of support for players inside and outside of the game in terms of post career, during your career. There is also a lot of protection for players. People often hail Gascoigne as an example of someone of real talent who was not looked after sufficiently within the game and why they tried to do that for the likes of Rooney. However, we know there are others. The likes of Justin Fashanu - who in all likelihood would have had far more support instead of the abuse he suffered. Mendham is another.

All I can say is that I attended several of his football schools over summers as a kid. He was always kind, always encouraging and would always listen. I never played to that high a level really, but I did mange to get onto the bench of Wymondham Town first team at 18-19yrs old just as he signed and played a few games for them. I also have a very close friend family friend who lost two children and their husband in a horrific car accident and he visited her on behalf of the club - it cheered her up no end and it was clearly more than just a job for him.

I have also had the opportunity to talk to a former player who played alongside him at professional level and he reflected that Mendham was/is a good person, but one that was easily led as a younger person. He said he could at times be foolish.

No one is excusing his horrific actions, I don't think anyone is begging on his behalf for forgiveness or conveniently ignoring them. Even he would say there was/is no excusing them. Bit weird to suggest that in a thread that is reflective of something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cheap, naughty but valid. Everyone deserves chances in life but the lack of acknowledgment in his verse deserved it. 

Eh? Are all criminals musing about their former legit careers meant to mention their previous convictions? Should someone like Mark Wahlberg be expected to bring up his pretty vile misdemeanours, for which he has been incarcerated, when discussing other aspects of his life?

The guy did a terrible thing and served a sentence deemed befitting of his crime.

He reffed (for free) a grassroots U8s fixture my boy played in a couple of years ago and was a proper decent bloke, fantastic with the kids and easily the best ref I've witnessed in terms of decision-making and communicating with the players.

• Like 1

I’m sure he’s not the only one that’s been through a tough divorce, seen people shaft them over money and retain a bit of bitterness.

It’s up to him to find his peace. Getting stuff off your chest helps, I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️