Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Season ticket prices 65+

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I don't propose anything. I think it works quite well as it is. I think there's a very small percentage of the pensioners entitled to a bus that use it regularly. And the ones who maybe don't need it are far outweighed by those who benefit from being able to get out and about amongst people. The bus pass is vital for the mental health of many of the least well off.

So it's only the elderly who get mental health issues as they are the ones with the free bus passes.

Rather than a free bus that I dont doubt improves the situation for a limited number of selected people, why isn't the problem of mental health treated.  Ie target the cause not the symptoms.

Should people with mental health issues be given free tickets to carrow Road/ the theatre etc for example, if it helps?

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I can hear this being sung by Alanis Morrisett 

Do you get voices in your head often?

And its Morissette

Edited by Greavsy

9 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I didn't say they should have more of a discount, I questioned why a 65 year old should have a discount when a under 30 doesn't.

I don't really want to get into the debate, but the mere fact that you assume someone in their twenties is still living at home points to all the problems the older generation have left younger people to pick up whilst they've benefited from subsidies and handouts that someone under the age of 40 today could only dream of obtaining.  I bet not many of those benefiting from the 65+ discount were still 'living at home' when they were in their twenties, nor were they desperately trying to save tens of thousands of pounds for the privilege of having a mortgage.

I didn’t assume anything,  I also gave an example of someone in their twenties with a child and a mortgage. That’s where in that situation you have to decide whether you can afford a season ticket or not, and it’s a decision most of us have made without feeling that the club should be giving us a discount. 

I really do feel for anyone trying to get a mortgage now, and yes, it was easier in the past, but to make out that if you’re  around or over 65 you’ve had an easier life is just wrong.

Edited by FenwayFrank

Just now, Greavsy said:

So it's only the elderly who get mental health issues as they are the ones with the free bus passes.

Rather than a free bus that I dont doubt improves the situation for a limited number of selected people, why isn't the problem of mental health treated.  Ie target the cause not the symptoms.

Should people with mental health issues be given free tickets to carrow Road/ the theatre etc for example, if it helps?

The elderly aren't the only ones with free bus passes. They are issued to the disabled too. And bear in mind the reasons for this aren't always visible.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

The elderly aren't the only ones with free bus passes. They are issued to the disabled too. And bear in mind the reasons for this aren't always visible.

Fair point, but this thread was about age eligibility concessions, I know you struggle to keep on topic sometimes.

That said, and to do full circle on one of your earlier comments re means testing, the people who get a disability pass would have to meet a qualifying criteria,  rather than a milestone birthday.  I trust you can see the difference? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

I didn’t assume anything,  I also gave an example of someone in their twenties with a child and a mortgage. That’s where in that situation you have to decide whether you can afford a season ticket or not, and it’s a decision most of us have made without feeling that the club should be giving us a discount. 

I really do feel for anyone trying to get a mortgage now, and yes, it was easier in the past, but to make out that if you around or over 65 you’ve had an easy life is just wrong.

Again, I never said anyone over 65 has had an easy life.  I said that people of that generation, and those closely following, benefited from far more public spending on them directly than the generations that follow.  It is undeniable, and large portions of the wealth in this country whether on paper or in hand sits with people of that generation.

There will be plenty of fans in the stadium who benefit from a 65+ reduction, have final salary pensions and a state pension on top (which they can essentially use to pay for their season ticket!).

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I really do feel for anyone trying to get a mortgage now, and yes, it was easier in the past

Interest base rate increased to 4% today. My first mortgage was around 15% maybe higher from memory.  

1 minute ago, ncfcstar said:

Again, I never said anyone over 65 has had an easy life.  I said that people of that generation, and those closely following, benefited from far more public spending on them directly than the generations that follow.  It is undeniable, and large portions of the wealth in this country whether on paper or in hand sits with people of that generation.

There will be plenty of fans in the stadium who benefit from a 65+ reduction, have final salary pensions and a state pension on top (which they can essentially use to pay for their season ticket!).

And 3 tins of John West (red) salmon and Werther’s Originals on tap weekly. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And 3 tins of John West (red) salmon and Werther’s Originals on tap weekly. 

Any Horlicks?

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Interest base rate increased to 4% today. My first mortgage was around 15% maybe higher from memory.  

It was still more affordable in real terms in comparison to today, and average house prices weren't 7 times higher than the average salary (more like 3 times).

3 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

It was still more affordable in real terms in comparison to today, and average house prices weren't 7 times higher than the average salary (more like 3 times).

Maybe, was still a struggle at times. 

Oh and one thing I did sacrifice was my season ticket though......

15 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Fair point, but this thread was about age eligibility concessions, I know you struggle to keep on topic sometimes.

That said, and to do full circle on one of your earlier comments re means testing, the people who get a disability pass would have to meet a qualifying criteria,  rather than a milestone birthday.  I trust you can see the difference? 

Again it will be a very small percentage of people who are entitled to a bus pass, for whatever reason, who actually use it. So present system is probably the cheapest option that ensures those that need it can get it.

As for means testing, I mentioned it because it's the only way to make the system fairer on those with least. But as you can see from the differing views in this thread, nothing is really that simple so a system that has least imperfections is probably the best we can hope for. Discounts up to 21 and beyond 65 could be that?

BTW who brought up the bus pass?

Edited by nutty nigel

My first monthly mortgage payments in 1968 were roughly the equivalent of my weekly wage.

The reason we could afford to go to Carrow Rd was because almost nobody had season tickets and it was about half a Crown to pay at the gate to stand on the terrace. It was a different time and almost nothing can be reasonably compared with today, it was a completely different experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Again it will be a very small percentage of people who are entitled to a bus pass, for whatever reason, who actually use it. So present system is probably the cheapest option that ensures those that need it can get it.

As for means testing, I mentioned it because it's the only way to make the system fairer on those with least. But as you can see from the differing views in this thread, nothing is really that simple so a system that has least imperfections is probably the best we can hope for. Discounts up to 21 and beyond 65 could be that?

BTW who brought up the bus pass?

It doesn't matter who uses it, the busses still run, even  if empty , as they are required to do so. That needs to be paid for.

Everyone over 65 gets a bus pass irrespective of need, how is that right?

I brought up the bus pass as a example of what over 65s get for free, not the disability concession which is a totally different situation as you know.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

it was a completely different experience

We won a few then I understand to ricardo!

Just now, Greavsy said:

We won a few then I understand to ricardo!

And got soaking wet when it rained. Great fun when I was that age but wouldn't be able to hack it now.

I would love to be able to transport back to the 1950's some of those who think life was so great then. They would be in for a real shock.

As for those who have worked to get themselves into a reasonably comfortable position when they retired, I think most have probably earned it the hard way, I know I have.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

And got soaking wet when it rained. Great fun when I was that age but wouldn't be able to hack it now.

I would love to be able to transport back to the 1950's some of those who think life was so great then. They would be in for a real shock.

As for those who have worked to get themselves into a reasonably comfortable position when they retired, I think most have probably earned it the hard way, I know I have.

Skate and chips for a schilling and bus fare home eased the burden though Ricardo. 

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Imagine being a season ticket holder for donkeys years and then snuffing it the week before your 65th birthday. 🙂 

P.S I'm loving this thread, best entertainment on here for a while.

I suppose if you snuff it you wouldn't really care one way or the other ( wink )

16 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

It doesn't matter who uses it, the busses still run, even  if empty , as they are required to do so. That needs to be paid for.

Everyone over 65 gets a bus pass irrespective of need, how is that right?

I brought up the bus pass as a example of what over 65s get for free, not the disability concession which is a totally different situation as you know.

Everyone over 65 is entitled to a free bus pass. They don't all get sent one. Then, apart from the physical cost of printing it, it only costs the subsidy when it's used.

What disability concession are you on about now?

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I suppose if you snuff it you wouldn't really care one way or the other ( wink )

The neighbour might miss you though! 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Skate and chips for a schilling and bus fare home eased the burden though Ricardo. 

Skate was a posh fish and a bit expensive even then, but you could certainly get a cod and chips for a bob.😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Skate was a posh fish and a bit expensive even then, but you could certainly get a cod and chips for a bob.😁

Don’t forget the scratchings. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t forget the scratchings. 

They gave us some purple ointment for that.😁

28 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Funny but that doesn't seem to happen round my way Nutty. Before people reached bus pass age they'd always drive into town as they didn't want to mix with the great unwashed but now it's free the cars never seem to come out of the garages.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Everyone over 65 is entitled to a free bus pass. They don't all get sent one. Then, apart from the physical cost of printing it, it only costs the subsidy when it's used.

I dont get the point, ok they aren't sent out automatically,  and need to be applied for, but the only criteria is how old you are, so its not means tested as such. Fair play if there is anyone who is entitled but hasn't claimed theirs as they don't need to, although doubt there are many, and it wouldn't change the situation as below.

The busses have to run irrespective of take up. So the subsidy is used irrespective of numbers on the bus. Ie its paid for even if no benefit is achieved.  

The disability concession you brought into the discussion,  keep up.

4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Funny but that doesn't seem to happen round my way Nutty. Before people reached bus pass age they'd always drive into town as they didn't want to mix with the great unwashed but now it's free the cars never seem to come out of the garages.

Exactly. 

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It was pretty posh.

I remember skate costing 2/6 ( 12 and a half pence ) when cod and haddock was1/- (5 pence ) or 1/3 ( about 6 pence ) at Stafford St chippie in the 60's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's time for me to have my annual rant about discounts for the over 65's.

We have a huge problem with space in the ground and there is little or no room for youngsters. Despite that, the club continues to give discounts to old people. I'm told that's because they are poor (not true in many cases) and last time I raised this at a shareholders meeting I was told it was to reward loyalty. By the way, there are lots of people under 65 who can't afford football. 

That's nonsense. 3 years ago I told my neighbour that the seat next to mine was available. He bought it and paid £170 less than me. He had never been to Carrow Road in his life and had previously been a Chelsea season ticket holder before retiring here. And by the way, he's got more money than he knows what to do with. 

Loyalty my ****

Perhaps Senior Railcards should only be granted to those who have previously had season tickets for the railways?