Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Season ticket prices 65+

It's time for me to have my annual rant about discounts for the over 65's.

We have a huge problem with space in the ground and there is little or no room for youngsters. Despite that, the club continues to give discounts to old people. I'm told that's because they are poor (not true in many cases) and last time I raised this at a shareholders meeting I was told it was to reward loyalty. By the way, there are lots of people under 65 who can't afford football. 

That's nonsense. 3 years ago I told my neighbour that the seat next to mine was available. He bought it and paid £170 less than me. He had never been to Carrow Road in his life and had previously been a Chelsea season ticket holder before retiring here. And by the way, he's got more money than he knows what to do with. 

Loyalty my ****

I agree with all that but not only that the coffin dodgers dont sing. Time to have an age cap and letting the youngsters in 

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's time for me to have my annual rant about discounts for the over 65's.

We have a huge problem with space in the ground and there is little or no room for youngsters. Despite that, the club continues to give discounts to old people. I'm told that's because they are poor (not true in many cases) and last time I raised this at a shareholders meeting I was told it was to reward loyalty. By the way, there are lots of people under 65 who can't afford football. 

That's nonsense. 3 years ago I told my neighbour that the seat next to mine was available. He bought it and paid £170 less than me. He had never been to Carrow Road in his life and had previously been a Chelsea season ticket holder before retiring here. And by the way, he's got more money than he knows what to do with. 

Loyalty my ****

"Chelsea season ticket holder" was your red flag

It's a difficult one, this. In many ways I agree with the OP - the demographics of our country have changed dramatically - we have lots of very rich pensioners who've benefited from the astronomical rise in house prices over the last forty years, while there are lots of people in full-time employment who can't pay their rent. So in that light, discounts for the over-65s do seem a bit outdated.

But on the other hand, not every pensioner is in that position, and I think the loyalty angle given by the club is totally fair enough. For every filthy-rich Chelsea fan there are probably loads of long-term fans who need and appreciate the discount.

The only long-term solution is to expand the ground. (Well, there's another long-term solution but that's in poor taste.) Bigger City stand for the OAPs to sit in, rail seats in the Barclay and Snake pit for the new blood. Over to you, Mr Attanasio.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
typo

If they want to reward loyalty why not give a small % discount for every year you've been a season ticket holder. Even if it kicks in after say 10 years and is capped. Age is irrelevant really. Everyone's circumstances differ.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Greavsy said:

If they want to reward loyalty why not give a small % discount for every year you've been a season ticket holder. Even if it kicks in after say 10 years and is capped. Age is irrelevant really. Everyone's circumstances differ.

that's a very good idea. I like the idea of not capping it, too. They'd be paying @ricardoto go, which I for one would be completely in favour of.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It's a difficult one, this. In many ways I agree with the OP - the demographics of our country have changed dramatically - we have lots of very rich pensioners who've benefited from the astronomical rise in house prices over the last forty years, while there are lots of people in full-time employment who can't pay their rent. So in that light, discounts for the over-65s do seem a bit outdated.

But on the other hand, not every pensioner is in that position, and I think the loyalty angle given by the club is totally fair enough. For every filthy-rich Chelsea fan there are probably loads of long-term fans who need and appreciate the discount.

The only long-term solution is to expand the ground. (Well, there's another long-term solution but that's in poor taste.) Bigger City stand for the OAPs to sit in, rail seats in the Barclay and Snake pit for the new blood. Over to you, Mr Attanasio.

The paradox of modern society is the poor having to pay the rich to rent a house they are told they can’t afford even though the rental cost is usually hundreds more than the cost of a mortgage on the same property. Bonkers. 

I am fast approaching 65 ( 2 more seasons for me ) and I have to say I will appreciate the discount. I dread to think how much I and my parents and now my youngest son have spent on NCFC since I was 4. Every other club offers an over 65 cheap ticket, so why should I pay a subsidised rate for an away game, and full price for a home game. But don’t worry to much about club revenue as in the season I become 65 my son will no longer get an under 21 season ticket. 
When you get to 65 who knows how many more seasons you will have wether through I’ll health or dare I say death. 
Travelling from Birmingham I may if there was no reduction decide to go to away games only giving my and my sons and my grandchild money to our opposing clubs rather than NCFC. If I gave up my season ticket three others would as well.
I appreciate we had closed grounds with Covid but away from that outside the premier league it is very rare we sell out and when we do ( Leeds and Ipswich aside ) it is usually glory hunters when we near promotion.

So therefore I guess I am against your motion.

27 minutes ago, Bert said:

I agree with all that but not only that the coffin dodgers dont sing. Time to have an age cap and letting the youngsters in 

I will have a wager with you that this coffin dodger makes far more noise than you.

13 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I have suggested exactly this to the club in OSP meetings, as we also discussed the OAP discount which I agree has problems with how it is currently applied.

I think the long and short of it is that the club doesn't know how long some season ticket holders have held their season ticket for so discounts for loyalty are complicated.  

Just now, ncfcstar said:

I have suggested exactly this to the club in OSP meetings, as we also discussed the OAP discount which I agree has problems with how it is currently applied.

I think the long and short of it is that the club doesn't know how long some season ticket holders have held their season ticket for so discounts for loyalty are complicated.  

Erm I got an email last week telling me how long I'd had mine.........I'm sure everyone else did too.

• Like 1

Just now, Greavsy said:

Erm I got an email last week telling me how long I'd had mine.........I'm sure everyone else did too.

I know, so did I, but when this was previously discussed with the club that was their line.

31 minutes ago, Bert said:

There should be a surcharge for those that take up two seats.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ncfcstar said:

I know, so did I, but when this was previously discussed with the club that was their line.

I trust the osp will hold them to account on that one then, and revisit the suggestion in view of the new evidence. 

As well as a discount for over 65's there is a further discount when you reach 75  which is ridiculous.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

As well as a discount for over 65's there is a further discount when you reach 75  which is ridiculous.

Does it pass to your children too Tilly?

• Haha 1

Here are two little words that cause uproar and get governments of all flavours scurrying for cover...

Means test 

Although as we've seen in the news those with the most means can get around the test.

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Guess it will also depend on 1. How far back you can go and 2. Any gaps. 
When I was a youngster we used to have a book with all the tickets for each game in it and there certainly weren’t computers then. 
I also had a 10 year gap where I bought tickets for each game, but then spent 3 years waiting to get it back. 
I would also suggest that a discount over years would cost the club far more than a senior citizens discount, our youngest at 18 ( 19 next season ) will have already done 16 seasons

• Like 2

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Here are two little words that cause uproar and get governments of all flavours scurrying for cover...

Means test 

Although as we've seen in the news those with the most means can get around the test.

Means testing costs money to do, probably more than the discount on offer!

Let's adopt a 'Logan's Run' type society.....then at least 85% of folk who contribute to this forum will then inevitably disappear and will never be seen or heard of again.....

"Mwhaha! Mwhaha! Mwhaha! MWAHAHAHAHA!".....image.jpeg.8ce11d46c3e93133ad3f33cd1aae7cb6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Guess it will also depend on 1. How far back you can go and 2. Any gaps. 
When I was a youngster we used to have a book with all the tickets for each game in it and there certainly weren’t computers then. 
I also had a 10 year gap where I bought tickets for each game, but then spent 3 years waiting to get it back. 
I would also suggest that a discount over years would cost the club far more than a senior citizens discount, our youngest at 18 ( 19 next season ) will have already done 16 seasons

But I wouldn't apply it to tickets that already have concessions. 

So generally kicks in for adult tickets only ie post 21

Say 0.5 or 1% for every year after say 10 years, capped at 10 / 15 years or a certain %.

Obv that would encourage people to renew to keep the earned discount and people on the waiting list would have less chance of getting one

If  you leave / have a break you stop your membership. Simples.

Edited by Greavsy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Means test 

Means testing for OAP benefits certainly makes sense. Not totally sure how viable it is for a private company to do it though. 

The real tough one is the huge jump for a 20 year old who turns 21. The price basically doubles!

15 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Quite. They have the data for many, which was proven by recent emails telling us. A discount of sorts for “x” years is a good one, missing data is no excuse as can easily be rectified.

The issue of pigeonholing people into groups is always difficult at both ends of the scale - in the wider world, kids suddenly paying for things as an adult at 16 (or 18) always feels harsh given they will be in full time education. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Means testing for OAP benefits certainly makes sense. Not totally sure how viable it is for a private company to do it though. 

The real tough one is the huge jump for a 20 year old who turns 21. The price basically doubles!

There are some people who turn 21 who can easily afford the rise while there are others who can't. Like with all age groups.

But like with all age groups there are also choices. I have to choose between Sky and season ticket. My priority probably different to others. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There are some people who turn 21 who can easily afford the rise while there are others who can't. Like with all age groups.

But like with all age groups there are also choices. I have to choose between Sky and season ticket. My priority probably different to others. 

Some people dont the luxury of that choice, as they can't afford either and are struggling to eat / heat etc.

Edited by Greavsy

32 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I will have a wager with you that this coffin dodger makes far more noise than you.

You haven’t heard me moan then 

• Haha 2