Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Rail Seating survey from the club

8 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

don't know if the majority of Fulham's fine new stand was under construction during the lock-downs? Anyway if they do decide in the future corridors of power at Carra to upgrade or totally demolish and rebuild the City Stand, then hopefully the majority of the work will be done during the close season.....Maybe even use shipping containers to construct the new City Stand like the World cup Stadium 974 in Qatar?....It'd be innovative and unique and may require less finances than bricks and mortar, steel etc?....

Just a thought?.....

Read the highlight....

Anyway what are your thoughts on the new City Stand being constructed using shipping containers?....

It would be ludicrous to expect a TEMPORARY structure to function as well as one designed & built for longevity. 

1 minute ago, NewNestCarrow said:

It would be ludicrous to expect a TEMPORARY structure to function as well as one designed & built for longevity. 

Yeah but shipping containers are fairly resilient and will outlive me and probably you....

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

the attitude of people who seem to dictate that to support I have to stand and sing for 90 minutes.

If I want to sit down in my seat checking the other results while listening to radio Norfolk I will thank you very much.

Having a standing area in the ground would surely allow both kinds of fan to watch the game as they wish.

10 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I don't see how this will generate a better atmosphere, it's no different to the people who stand up anyway and still occupy the same space their seat takes up.

If you think it's gonna replicate the packed in, shoulder to shoulder swaying and surging of the old Barclay, then you're sadly mistaken.

exactly, so what is the point? 

• Like 2

If it is too happen where do the season ticket holders who don’t want it get relocated to

i sit in lower Barclay and don’t want to stand, been in the Barclay for decades  used to stand in the pens back in the day, I sing as loud as anyone else and don’t particularly want to move from the Barclay

Edited by city4eva

23 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I don't see how this will generate a better atmosphere, it's no different to the people who stand up anyway and still occupy the same space their seat takes up.

If you think it's gonna replicate the packed in, shoulder to shoulder swaying and surging of the old Barclay, then you're sadly mistaken.

It'll be done to improve safety.

Quite simply standing behind a rail designed specifically for that purpose will be far safer than the current practise of standing behind a seat which can act as a trip if you are pushed from behind.

Rail seating which we've already experienced at away ends like Spurs and Wolves will provide an experience nothing like the terraces in the "good ole days" did. Every spectator space in a rail seated area will have a rail which means that surges won't be possible.

Also a rail seated area will have the exact same capacity that the are did when it had seats. Increasing the capacity would greatly reduce safety levels.

Its now 31 years since Carrow Road last had proper standing areas yet still many people in the Barclay and Snakepit would rather stand including many who wern't about in 1992.

I'd suggest that while their will be a few fans against rail seating at Carrow Road, all the above evidence suggests that its a no brainer. Those objectors should remember that when Carrow eventually gets expanded, probably an upper tier for the City stand or (my preferred option cause I think the 1986 built City stand is very dated now) a complete new large one tier City stand a bit bigger than the South Stand, the extra capacity will be exclusively seats only. 

12 hours ago, city4eva said:

If it is too happen where do the season ticket holders who don’t want it get relocated to

Who knows. Particularly as most other areas of the ground are more expensive.

If the rails have seats are we allowed to sit in them at half time or are they automatically fixed shut?

15 minutes ago, kingsway said:

It'll be done to improve safety.

Quite simply standing behind a rail designed specifically for that purpose will be far safer than the current practise of standing behind a seat which can act as a trip if you are pushed from behind.

Rail seating which we've already experienced at away ends like Spurs and Wolves will provide an experience nothing like the terraces in the "good ole days" did. Every spectator space in a rail seated area will have a rail which means that surges won't be possible.

Also a rail seated area will have the exact same capacity that the are did when it had seats. Increasing the capacity would greatly reduce safety levels.

Its now 31 years since Carrow Road last had proper standing areas yet still many people in the Barclay and Snakepit would rather stand including many who wern't about in 1992.

I'd suggest that while their will be a few fans against rail seating at Carrow Road, all the above evidence suggests that its a no brainer. Those objectors should remember that when Carrow eventually gets expanded, probably an upper tier for the City stand or (my preferred option cause I think the 1986 built City stand is very dated now) a complete new large one tier City stand a bit bigger than the South Stand, the extra capacity will be exclusively seats only. 

Or just enforce the no standing rule more vigorously...

3 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That was given up on in the Barclay and the Snakepit many moons ago!

Like I said its a no brainer, some fans like to stand the majority don't - Only the Barclay lower tier and the Snakepit would have rail seats. The rest of the ground including any future expansions would be all seater!

Edited by kingsway
  • Like 1

Call me cynical but it feels like the survey is just an opportunity to agree to more marketing material.

Anyway I noted 'no' on the basis that the money could be better spent, including a new stand.

It comes down once again to cost versus H&S. What has been the cost to the club of injuries during this seating era, and of extra costs of policing them? Versus the costs of replacement and then policing the new rail areas, and potential cost of injuries specific to the use of rail seating? 🤷‍♂️

I still say on a cost only basis, let's stay with the status quo until the City Stand has been re-developed and there is more scope for a proper strategy of where and how much rail seating to offer. I've no doubt though a proper Cost Benefit Analysis might come up with a different answer. But the club would never spend the amount of money to produce a proper answer.

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I think people trying to put some financial spin on this are missing the point.

Safe standing is coming back in this format. It will be the "fashion". If fans in lower barclay want it (I'd be happy with it) then doing something the fans will enjoy for relatively small outlay seems good to me.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think people trying to put some financial spin on this are missing the point.

Safe standing is coming back in this format. It will be the "fashion". If fans in lower barclay want it (I'd be happy with it) then doing something the fans will enjoy for relatively small outlay seems good to me.

It's just my opinion, i may well miss the point, but financially if it happens it slows down development elsewhere.

It may be "fashion" so i'm sure the media team are loving this. 😘 But will it help the club connect more strongly with all existing fans? 🤔

11 hours ago, shefcanary said:

It's just my opinion, i may well miss the point, but financially if it happens it slows down development elsewhere.

It may be "fashion" so i'm sure the media team are loving this. 😘 But will it help the club connect more strongly with all existing fans? 🤔

It's by no means just you Sheff, most of this thread has been about the costs. I don't think that's how clubs up and down the country are looking at it. Not just us, but most clubs. It's a "quick win" with fans who want it. It might even encourage some fans back who really miss the proper standing days, I don't know. The fan's who don't want it will likely be primarily unaffected. Especially if it's Lower Barclay - no-one sits around me in Block C for example.

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

It's by no means just you Sheff, most of this thread has been about the costs. I don't think that's how clubs up and down the country are looking at it. Not just us, but most clubs. It's a "quick win" with fans who want it. It might even encourage some fans back who really miss the proper standing days, I don't know. The fan's who don't want it will likely be primarily unaffected. Especially if it's Lower Barclay - no-one sits around me in Block C for example.

Not sure about those who dont want it not being affected, I am in block A where most people sit, most in block B also sit,(both for the most part)  I know some who say they won’t renew if it does go to rail seating/standing, of course the club may not care as they can just replace those with someone from the waiting list

Rail seating is a waste of money if it's being put in the LB. There are some benefits for a very few people but not enough to make it worth it. 

Stick it pocket of it somewhere else in the ground and it's another story.