Michael Starr

What if we smash Burnley...

We seem to be on an upward curve again. Squad for squad we are certainly at least equal with Burnley. What if we end up smashing them by 3 or 4 goals. How frustrating would that be! I guess it would give us an even greater confidence boost, but the auto's are gone now for us.

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

We seem to be on an upward curve again. Squad for squad we are certainly at least equal with Burnley. What if we end up smashing them by 3 or 4 goals. How frustrating would that be! I guess it would give us an even greater confidence boost, but the auto's are gone now for us.

That's what people said in 1982.  Martin O'Neil decided differently and we won 13 games on the bounce and went up. We were 13th when he signed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

We can beat them, but I doubt if we'll smash them, they are a very resilient side. And who's to say the autos are gone? Sheff Utd are not cut and dried, even if Burnley look certs for the title. Everything to play for - including top two. 

42 points now, 54 points to play for, that's 96 possible. Go on a winning run and who knows.......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We can beat them, but I doubt if we'll smash them, they are a very resilient side. And who's to say the autos are gone? Sheff Utd are not cut and dried, even if Burnley look certs for the title. Everything to play for - including top two. 

42 points now, 54 points to play for, that's 96 possible. Go on a winning run and who knows.......

Winning run is the key thing imo. If we can go on a decent run then anything is possible from here until the end of season.

I understand where you're coming from if, at the end of the season, we have massively turned things around but couldn't quite make up the gap. It will be really frustrating that we hung on to Smith at the end of last season when it was obvious to many of us that he simply wasn't up to the job. It will feel like a season wasted.

IMO, in terms of what he inherited and what he achieved, Smith is possibly the worst NCFC manager in my lifetime.

But we are where we are and there's no point having these feelings so I try to suppress them and look forward rather than back.

Edited by canarybubbles

27 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

I cant see us smashing Burnley. They're top of the table and a well organised team, with form also on their side. I imagine it will be a tight contest, but any points would be good and another step in the right direction and a win would gather some real momentum. I would drop Onel for Marquinhos and get Gunn back in goal, however I suspect the latter will be too much of an ask for Wagner.

If we win by whatever scoreline there will be a bit of frustration, because it will show we're in contention with the top team in the table.

But whatever, we are where we are.  If we beat them I'll be happy no matter what.

I think your response if we beat Burnley will depend on whether you are a glass half full or half empty person 🤣

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

If we win by whatever scoreline there will be a bit of frustration, because it will show we're in contention with the top team in the table.

But whatever, we are where we are.  If we beat them I'll be happy no matter what.

I think your response if we beat Burnley will depend on whether you are a glass half full or half empty person 🤣

Or just a realistic Norwich fan 😉

• Haha 1

If we went on such a run that it was even a possibility towards the end of the season but fell just short, I think we'd be well placed and feared in the play-offs.

Anyway, one step at a time. Burnley.  

As an aside - I don't know the stats but I've often thought that the 'play-off winner' in some ways survives better in the EPL than the those in the autos. May be a certain tenacity is needed to come through that way and perhaps a more realistic appraisal of your strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That's what people said in 1982.  Martin O'Neil decided differently and we won 13 games on the bounce and went up. We were 13th when he signed. 

That was a cracking end to the season. Particularly Hillsborough on the last day 

• Like 4

New Manager bounce was good in the first two away games. If we can continue that momentum for the home game against Burnley that would be excellent. But a draw against the top team would be a great result.I will be attending again now that Dean Smith has departed and am hoping to see some entertaining football at Carrow Road again.

23 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

That was a cracking end to the season. Particularly Hillsborough on the last day 

10,000 away fans too, my mother even went with us. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

We'd be very fortunate to have 2 titles and a play off final win if we did go through that way I suppose

We have 2 titles and a playoff final win very recently, another playoff final win would be just amazing, but a long way to go until then...

One game at a time. It looks as though we can score goals, but our defence still fills me with dread at times. We've still to nail down that LB position and Hanley and Omo have regressed this season, imo.

The run of games after Burnley is pretty favourable imo. Get a result of Saturday and it could give us massive momentum.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

We've still to nail down that LB position and Hanley and Omo have regressed this season, imo.

So had everyone else. Omo still young, he'll bounce back. 

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We are outside the play-off's how far will we drop if we lose ?

I don't think it matters much - we will still have 17 games to go, although I guess it will totally scupper the tiny chance we have of making the automatics. 

After this game, we will have played Burnley, Luton, Watford, Preston, Coventry and Reading twice. We won't have played any of the bottom eight twice. We'll be close enough if good enough.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

So if we don't make the play offs this season. Will it be one of the biggest disaster seasons at Norwich?

Not really, this team would struggle as did the previous two, although  another £90m would be handy

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

So if we don't make the play offs this season. Will it be one of the biggest disaster seasons at Norwich?

Won’t be like relegation to league one but there will be a lot of negative financial implications 

On 01/02/2023 at 10:19, canarybubbles said:

I understand where you're coming from if, at the end of the season, we have massively turned things around but couldn't quite make up the gap. It will be really frustrating that we hung on to Smith at the end of last season when it was obvious to many of us that he simply wasn't up to the job. It will feel like a season wasted

Lets hope that this is where external investment comes into play and means we can avoid a massive rebuild in the summer if we narrowly miss out.

And if we play the rest of the season like a team which should be in the automatics, and we look like we're enjoying our football, I've not completely given up on Pukki staying on. What a boost to the morale that would be.

I've got a feeling that if we'd miraculously scraped promotion via a lucky 6 place finish under Dean Smith then Pukki would still have wanted out in the summer, didn't look to be enjoying his football at all. 

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Won’t be like relegation to league one but there will be a lot of negative financial implications 

I'm hoping this is where external investment will make a difference and the rebuild won't have to be as huge as the last one?

But I mean, I do fear it will make Pukki completely unaffordable (if there is any sliver of hope in keeping him), and I'd question whether Wagner would have to lose his first choice keeper, Krul rumoured to be our highest earner and I don't think a Championship side can sustain two high paid keepers.

Also got the challenge of needing to recruit a DM again. We could, and should, use the loan market more than we have though, I'm guessing we'll see 4 loans next season if we fail to go up to fill the gaps. And those are always hit and miss.

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm hoping this is where external investment will make a difference and the rebuild won't have to be as huge as the last one?

But I mean, I do fear it will make Pukki completely unaffordable (if there is any sliver of hope in keeping him), and I'd question whether Wagner would have to lose his first choice keeper, Krul rumoured to be our highest earner and I don't think a Championship side can sustain two high paid keepers.

Also got the challenge of needing to recruit a DM again. We could, and should, use the loan market more than we have though, I'm guessing we'll see 4 loans next season if we fail to go up to fill the gaps. And those are always hit and miss.

Pukki is gone in the summer no matter what so just enjoy him while he’s here. He wanted to go in the summer but we took the option on the extra year because he turned down a contract we offered him. Can’t say I begrudge him one last big pay day in his career before it’s over. 

23 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Pukki is gone in the summer no matter what so just enjoy him while he’s here. He wanted to go in the summer but we took the option on the extra year because he turned down a contract we offered him.

That's incorrect, as he's sitting with a contract on the table now and hasn't turned it down. 

Also, Pukki wanted out after the disappointment of second relegation, and no doubt his frustrations within Smith's setup.  If we gain promotion this season then I think there's far more chance of him staying than leaving. 

Would not have said that a few months back though, thought he was a gonna for sure then.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lets hope that this is where external investment comes into play and means we can avoid a massive rebuild in the summer if we narrowly miss out.

And if we play the rest of the season like a team which should be in the automatics, and we look like we're enjoying our football, I've not completely given up on Pukki staying on. What a boost to the morale that would be.

I've got a feeling that if we'd miraculously scraped promotion via a lucky 6 place finish under Dean Smith then Pukki would still have wanted out in the summer, didn't look to be enjoying his football at all. 

I have completely the same feeling.