1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I think that he was a verty good little player who shone at times, but he was hardly a superstar whose loss we should mourn.

I recall some posters on here who went to Carrow Road saying that he habitually faded a lot as the game progressed.

I'm happy to have another bite at the cherry with this Arsenal loanee, while 'Boro could have acquired a player with an injury problem.

I think a lot of our players faded in games under DS

36 minutes ago, AJ said:

I think it's different in the fact we snapped up a lot of players in the early stages that were huge injury risks/recovering from bad injuries. Some like Leitner worked out to a point, others like Byram have been a bit more limited. All players can get injured though, be sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

All jokes aside I do agree Byram hasn't been bad business and arguably makes the team better when he's fit. He definitely has the ability of a PL player. Hayden is much more frustrating, signed as a marquee signing whilst still injured only to never be fully fit for the whole season. 

Hayden is a real shame, I saw him play several times at Newcastle and he was a really good player.  Let’s hope for his sake he gets over the injury.

• Like 2

It’s a strange set of affairs but I’m not bothered about it. Ramsey was tidy enough but he didn’t fit into our system, had zero understanding with Pukki and could not play wide. We are much better with Dowell in the side and Tzolis, Onel and Marquenhos looks like much better wide options. 

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well I thought he was often our best attacking player earlier in the season. Very brave when attacking the box. Probably a player who would have suited Wagner but we have an improved version of Dowell now. 

He would have one good game followed by one completely anonymous one. His presence in the squad was overall detrimental to us in my view. A Smith favourite played at the expense of better players we already had in the squad. 

It is weird, I am much happier having a coach with a plan, sprinkled with Brazilian glamour, and a smaller squad than a wishy washy approach with players who only want to play for a specific individual who makes them feel special.

It will be interesting to see if Hayden was also a Deano signing or a club signing.

It'll be interesting to see when he's playing for Boro.

If he's fit enough to play in the next week or two then it will raise an eyebrow. If it turns out he can't play until March and we thought it wasn't worth having him here for that long injured then fair enough. 

Won't be down to the player though, it will be the club.

If he is fully fit then I will be disappointed in this as I thought he was a tidy player for us. 

Definitely an air of quality about him. 

Maybe he just didn’t like the atmosphere at CR as probably not experienced it before. 

It was getting quite nasty towards the end for Dean Smith and players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

He would have one good game followed by one completely anonymous one. His presence in the squad was overall detrimental to us in my view. A Smith favourite played at the expense of better players we already had in the squad. 

Your post doesn't surprise me Jimbo👍

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ted Mackie Dee said:

Maybe he just didn’t like the atmosphere at CR as probably not experienced it before. 

It was getting quite nasty towards the end for Dean Smith and players.

If that caused him to terminate his loan he'd best start considering retirement as it was nothing worse than he'll see elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s a strange set of affairs but I’m not bothered about it. Ramsey was tidy enough but he didn’t fit into our system, had zero understanding with Pukki and could not play wide. We are much better with Dowell in the side and Tzolis, Onel and Marquenhos looks like much better wide options. 

Are you sure about this? All three of Ramsay's goals came from Pukki, couple of rebounds from saves, then that beautiful bit of interchange for his second goal against Stoke. And we should know better than to judge our players on their Dean Smith performances, I do wonder how good he'd look in a Wagner team. 

I thought Ramsay worked quite well with Pukki personally. 

Ramsay's numbers were pretty impressive, 3 goals and 3 assists in 1038 minutes of football. For me it was his defensive naivety, and didn't work hard enough at his pressing, left us in a few difficult situations by dragging another player out of midfield to do the pressing that he should have been doing. Overall I think he's a player with a lot of potential. If he pressed like Sargent he'd be a top top player.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, king canary said:

If that caused him to terminate his loan he'd best start considering retirement as it was nothing worse than he'll see elsewhere.

More likely Villa have still got Dean Smith's mates as their Head of Youth Development and Loan Manager and this is a petty act of revenge for his sacking. 

Alex Ferguson once recalled two Man Utd players from Preston when they sacked his son Darren Ferguson, think it was Roy Keane who called him out on that.

MB suggests in the Athletic piece that it was very much our decision to send him back and Villa were surprised we did so.

Apparently he is already training with Boros squad so he can't be far off playing.

• Thanks 1

I think Dean Smith said when we got Ramsey on loan that it was connected with Rowe's initial injury being likely to keep him out for a few months.  Rowe is now nearing fitness (after a second injury) so better to have our own player involved??

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Rowe is now nearing fitness (after a second injury) so better to have our own player involved??

Absolutely agree with that, just think the full story has been rather massaged somewhat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you sure about this? All three of Ramsay's goals came from Pukki, couple of rebounds from saves, then that beautiful bit of interchange for his second goal against Stoke. And we should know better than to judge our players on their Dean Smith performances, I do wonder how good he'd look in a Wagner team. 

I thought Ramsay worked quite well with Pukki personally. 

Ramsay's numbers were pretty impressive, 3 goals and 3 assists in 1038 minutes of football. For me it was his defensive naivety, and didn't work hard enough at his pressing, left us in a few difficult situations by dragging another player out of midfield to do the pressing that he should have been doing. Overall I think he's a player with a lot of potential. If he pressed like Sargent he'd be a top top player.

Yes I am sure about it. If you watched back the games again you would see how many moves broke down due to Ramsey not releasing the pass at the right time or not reading Pukkis runs. Not saying that is his fault and not saying he did not have some talent. He was not what we needed though and the whole thing felt a bit like some kind of mutual favour between us, Smith and Villa.

I don’t care. Ramsay was brought in by Smith to give him something Villa-related to desperately cling to, like a Villa-branded teddy, to ease him through his mourning period.

As decent a player as Ramsay is, his departure helped clear up the stench of the Smith era before it had time to linger. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrdi said:

I don’t care. Ramsay was brought in by Smith to give him something Villa-related to desperately cling to, like a Villa-branded teddy, to ease him through his mourning period.

As decent a player as Ramsay is, his departure helped clear up the stench of the Smith era before it had time to linger. 

A bit strong, but I like it.

Long before Smith's sacking, it had come to my notice that he very frequently (I could have put always, but this might be overstating it as I cannot remember the details) needed to mention Ramsay's contribution above all others in his post match interviews.

It was a strange situation.

Good little player who did not disgrace himself in the yellow, but Smith did seem to favour him too much (again, I cannot remember the details.)

I'm more than happy with this Wagner inspired (hopefully) Arsenal youngster as a replacement.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

A bit strong, but I like it.

Long before Smith's sacking, it had come to my notice that he very frequently (I could have put always, but this might be overstating it as I cannot remember the details) needed to mention Ramsay's contribution above all others in his post match interviews.

It was a strange situation.

Good little player who did not disgrace himself in the yellow, but Smith did seem to favour him too much (again, I cannot remember the details.)

I'm more than happy with this Wagner inspired (hopefully) Arsenal youngster as a replacement.

We can never know the truth behind this. Maybe Ramsey felt a loyalty to Smith and wanted to leave. Perhaps he didn't feel particularly happy here. Perhaps Wagner looked at the videos of his performances and rated him below the Arsenal guy. Perhaps the club didn't want to take the risk of an injured player. Perhaps there was tension between Ramsey and some of the other players because they felt he got preferential treatment from Smith. Who knows?

The important thing for me is that again Wagner has been decisive and seems to know what he wants. Right or wrong, that feels like a good quality after the drift and halfheartedness of the last 14 months.

Edited by canarybubbles

On 01/02/2023 at 11:08, king canary said:

From the  outside we must have looked a real shoiteshow, im not remotely surprised he got  the ferk out.