Sign in to follow this  
stratton canary

Olly Skipp

A mate of mine said he'd heard rumours about it, but even if he does go out he has plenty of PL suitors. Looks likely that they'll keep him, but there's no way he'd play in the Championship rather than the PL.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

but even if he does go out he has plenty of PL suitors. 

Yeah I think its likely that if a loan was sanctioned then Skipp would see the Championship as a backwards step now.

Would probably have his choice of any of the Prem Teams from 15th to 20th! 

• Like 1

A Spurs fan has told me that Skipp is required because Spurs have problems with numbers of overseas players. A shame for him because he won't get a game for Spurs. 

Championship loan move would make zero sense for his career progression unless there was no other option. I imagine 5-7 Prem teams would take him and give him game time

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Skipp and I'm again dismayed at the state of the game that they're keeping him around purely to fulfill a home grown quota. An amazing young English midfielder who is being left to rot.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

I feel sorry for Skipp and I'm again dismayed at the state of the game that they're keeping him around purely to fulfill a home grown quota. An amazing young English midfielder who is being left to rot.

Unfortunately Olly Skipp is one of many who are being used by the biggest clubs.

These players will never progress to their full potential without game time.

16 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

He's 22. At a top six Premier League side. Probably earning significant money.

I'm not sure that's something to feel sorry about.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

I've just analysed the squad (see FTW's contract conundrums thread), and we are also struggling on this front because of injuries to Byram / Gibson / Hayden / Rowe; just another couple of injuries to homegrown players and we are going to have to put some very inexperienced youngsters on the bench!

3 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

If he is being kept just because of the homegrown rule, that is a travisty and I would feel sorry for any player in that situation. Young players need to play and after all, what really makes a footballer is playing football, not counting money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If he is being kept just because of the homegrown rule, that is a travisty and I would feel sorry for any player in that situation. Young players need to play and after all, what really makes a footballer is playing football, not counting money.

True Lakey but at least they can be miserable in comfort

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He was never going to play in the Championship again. The second a player of his quality is available half the top flight would want him.

4 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

How much shoite would you eat, just to get paid?  Have you no pride?

Unless there's something a bit odd about Olly Skipp , he wont be happy not playing to his full potential.... he has the ability to be well paid AND well played, mebbe not at Spurs but im 100% sure he could secure  a decent footy wage AND be a regular starter somewhere . He may of course just love it at spurs , not playing much , watching his prime years as a footballer succumb to homeqrown quotas... yeah right.  

Im with  @lake district canary on this one.  

Edited by wcorkcanary

Just imagine it, we win the playoffs, Attanasio opens his wallet and gives us a bumper war chest. We buy Olly Skipp....

...and he sits on the bench behind Kenny McLean.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Just imagine it, we win the playoffs, Attanasio opens his wallet and gives us a bumper war chest. We buy Olly Skipp....

...and he sits on the bench behind Kenny McLean.

It would be worth it just to see how many of the Kenny haters on here spontaneously combusted. 🙂 

• Like 1

Crazy situation that the top six EPL have to keep a homegrown on the bench so they can add a £85m foreign wonder kid to a squad. 

The problem with English football today - too much foreign money! With 50% of top clubs losing money, surely this should be scrutinised under the UE FA FairPlay rulings?

44 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Crazy situation that the top six EPL have to keep a homegrown on the bench so they can add a £85m foreign wonder kid to a squad. 

The problem with English football today - too much foreign money! With 50% of top clubs losing money, surely this should be scrutinised under the UE FA FairPlay rulings?

I've been saying for ages how the vast majority of those silly rules have never worked. Homegrown rules may have more impact now we are not in Europe, but before, if you look at some of our own players, they qualify as home grown because they were signed as kids. When you tell mega rich clubs this, they essentially just take more gambles on younger players to ensure they meet the home grown criteria.

So instead of giving English/Welsh talent more of a chance, you actually do the opposite. I think the same can be said of the U23's instead of a reserve side. All that really happens is players are held onto a bit longer than they used to be, playing in a "development" league rather than having been released and then having to find a club lower down and make their way back up. I would genuinely love to see how many players do that now when they are released at 21/22 having played little to no professional football.

Don't even get started on FFP... just another way to ring fence the already wealthy and prevent/make it harder for other clubs to encroach upon the top 6 in any league. Man City only managed it because they circumvented FFP by finding a loophole which has since been closed. 

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

How much shoite would you eat, just to get paid?  Have you no pride?

Unless there's something a bit odd about Olly Skipp , he wont be happy not playing to his full potential.... he has the ability to be well paid AND well played, mebbe not at Spurs but im 100% sure he could secure  a decent footy wage AND be a regular starter somewhere . He may of course just love it at spurs , not playing much , watching his prime years as a footballer succumb to homeqrown quotas... yeah right.  

Im with  @lake district canary on this one.  

Haha.

Skipp's earning something in the region of £50k per week. For kicking a ball around a field.

Gutted for him.

11 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Haha.

Skipp's earning something in the region of £50k per week. For kicking a ball around a field.

Gutted for him.

Not everyone sees money as the be all and end all. A high proportion of talented young footballers will want to play and have a good career more than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Haha.

Gutted for him.

I guess you've  never really  thought very deeply then. Its ok, the world relies on people not thinking.

It allows some of us even more choices.   For that i thank you.