TeemuVanBasten

Tzolis returning to Norwich

Tzolis arrived at Norwich with the wonderkid tag, and has clearly not delivered he is young and think that training with our new manager would be good for him.

Twente clearly don't want him then, as I don't think we had a recall option. Can't see him having anywhere near the energy for a Wagner team

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Twente clearly don't want him then, as I don't think we had a recall option. 

That's the rumour, that they don't want him.

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Twente clearly don't want him then, as I don't think we had a recall option. Can't see him having anywhere near the energy for a Wagner team

Ps. Dowell not exactly the energiser bunny so who knows, I do see Tsoliz as a player who looks like he should be playing through the middle to be fair.

• Like 2

Pukki’s successor then? Not necessarily for the goals, but for setting them up for others. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Dowell has managed, let’s give him a chance 

3 goals in 15 games is not too shabby,  Shame for him, he must have wanted to kick start his career, he still really young.

Like many, I had great hopes for Tzolis, but they're looking less and less likely to be realised. Let's see what he can do under Wagner. The penalty incident blotted his copybook with Farke, and then Smith seemed to have no interest in playing him at all.

I'm worried, though, because I've seen a translation of the Dutch journalist's words using 'Greek mercenary'. Does anyone on here have good enough Dutch to confirm that Google Translate is accurate here?

Edited by canarybubbles
To correct stupid mistake on my part.

Very concerning that Twente don't want to even have him around the squad. People who think he's going to come back and suddenly light up the championship just because Smith isn't around are going to be disappointed I suspect.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Dowell has managed, let’s give him a chance 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ps. Dowell not exactly the energiser bunny so who knows, I do see Tsoliz as a player who looks like he should be playing through the middle to be fair.

Obviously it's just opinion but Dowell showed the right attitude whereas the idea of Twente not even wanting him around the squad combined with him looking a little overweight doesn't really bode well for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Obviously it's just opinion but Dowell showed the right attitude whereas the idea of Twente not even wanting him around the squad combined with him looking a little overweight doesn't really bode well for me.

It could just be that they know they aren't going to play him much and don't want to pay his (probably by Dutch standards relatively large) wages rather than an actual attitude problem... Let's hope this is more of a Madison than a cantwell kick up the derriere though....

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

It could just be that they know they aren't going to play him much and don't want to pay his (probably by Dutch standards relatively large) wages rather than an actual attitude problem... Let's hope this is more of a Madison than a cantwell kick up the derriere though....

It's also possible that we made soundings about requesting him back and they agreed although they didn't have to. I agree that it's not looking great. Let's hope he can turn it around.

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

3 goals in 15 games is not too shabby,  Shame for him, he must have wanted to kick start his career, he still really young.

When I looked I found 1 goal in 11?

EDIT: found his 2 in 4 in European qualifiers

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TheGoogler said:

Very concerning that Twente don't want to even have him around the squad. 

He was on the bench for them yesterday so I don't think that's true.

More likely they want to free up his wage and have a punt on another loanee to see if they'll have more impact.

Not looking promising for him but we do need to remember that he's still only 20.

In fact, only turned 20 today. Some players don't break into senior football at all until 20/21, Cantwell for a start.

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

whereas the idea of Twente not even wanting him around the squad combined with him looking a little overweight doesn't really bode well for me.

He does always look like he could be leaner, agreed.

But on the bench for them yesterday so don't think he's an outcast.

• Like 1

Think we should wait and see before casting him as a failure.  Seems that Wagner is a bit more happy to see players give  it a go than our last two managers, Farke, who was quite controlling and Smith who only seemed to stifle with too much info, so he will get a chance to prove himself.

• Like 1

I had a theory that the reason he wasn’t being played was maybe due to clauses in our original deal. Something like an extra 1 million after 15 appearances or something. If he goes and gets recalled then that theory is dead.

The article does not actually give a time frame it could be that they have no interest in signing him at the end of the season.

On the other hand if the rumours about Sinani are true and with Ramsay, Cantwell departures then we are a bit short in attacking midfield and this might be a low cost way of boosting numbers 

33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Did Dowell show the right attitude under Smith though? I know he is a bit of a languid type like Vrancic but he's looked more 'up' for the past two games than he had all season prior to then. I'm not sure you'd get many fans saying he has the 'right attitude' before Wagner came in. 

So maybe with a couple of games under Wagner, Tzolis might have a similar turnaround...? Wishful thinking I know - just hard to wrap your head round how such a significant outlay in the premier league might not even get a sniff at the lower level.

What do we even do with him now? Continue with the loans? Sell him on and recoup about £3mil?

If we lose to Burnley we can pretty much write off our top 2 hopes, but playoffs should be relatively safe - could it be a good opportunity to throw him in at the deep end? Doesn't feel like there is a whole lot to lose at this point...

Entirely possible we could send him on loan elsewhere. Don't see how it benefits him or us otherwise. A loan to a League One team could do wonders for him.

He's not what we need right now. We're challenging for promotion, we need quality not apprentices.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A loan to a League One team could do wonders for him.

I've got a feeling his agent would veto any move which would see a huge drop in perceived status, even if you are right that it probably would help him (I suggest an Ipswich promotion rival, its warmer in Plymouth so he might fit in!).

I bet his agent would prefer a move back to Greece, or to Turkey.

• Like 2

In top sides young players new to the league are often used sparingly for a year or so. Although nowhere near the ability of Saka, or Foden as examples, this sink or swim attitude isn't one good managers and coaches tend to employ, neither of the aforementioned spent any time on loan as far as I'm aware. Forget the fanfare of his arrival, I think he needs to be in and around the team until the end of this season now, really feel at home at NCFC and with his team mates. I think we are at a good time to reset to day one and give the lad a chance.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the people who want to get rid of him. He's only 21 and we signed him on a 5 year deal, that must mean that we saw him as a long term signing and were prepared to play a part in his development.

Lots of players have multiple loans before breaking into the 1st team at their parent club, we all remember a youngster called Harry Kane playing for us, who would've predicted what happened to him?

The chance of developing a youngster (or even a loanee) within the negative Smith team wasnt a very attractive option for player or agent was it. If Wagner is keen to deveop, and surely the club would want to try and maximise on bringing people on - either to play or resell and the positve environment should help

• Like 1

If it is true that FC Twente do not want him around, that is probably the damning fact.  Stepping back he plays in the position I think we are lightest in, so his return is not a terrible idea.  I am not physical expert but he does look naturally stocky, fleck was stocky and what a player he was, would he have been better a stone lighter, I have no idea 

1 minute ago, BurwellCanary said:

The chance of developing a youngster (or even a loanee) within the negative Smith team wasnt a very attractive option for player or agent was it. If Wagner is keen to deveop, and surely the club would want to try and maximise on bringing people on - either to play or resell and the positve environment should help

This is true, but only if he ahead of Rowe.  There are only so many opportunities available - unless Sinani goes then there is space.

I'd be excited to have him back. It must be difficult to come into the PL as a young player in a struggling team with zero confidence.

Let's see what he can do when the team is scoring goals for fun at a lower level and full of confidence.