Sign in to follow this  
Rottingdean canary

Tomkinson v Stoke

2 minutes ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Tomkinson came on for the second half for Stevenage and from the brief highlights made two important contributions - blocking a goal-bound shot and then conceding a penalty - I thought it was very harsh decision by the ref - looked a great tackle to me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64348744

It was actually an excellent tackle. Really well timed. Felt sorry for him. 

Refs are very poor aren't they? A bad decision today not to give a foul against Liverpool or even a red card. In the end it didn't matter but the unfairness was there for all to see.

I've got a lot of hope for young Tomkinson. And it is all great experience for him. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

Refs are very poor aren't they? A bad decision today not to give a foul against Liverpool or even a red card. In the end it didn't matter but the unfairness was there for all to see.

I've got a lot of hope for young Tomkinson. And it is all great experience for him. 

Never a foul in a million years, shame no VAR but is there a case for the fourth official to have a quick look at a tv monitor and over rule the ref.

• Like 2

But who would be a ref? I absolutely cannot see the attraction. They’re the best we have so we have to accept it until we can perfect Refbot.

18 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

But who would be a ref? I absolutely cannot see the attraction. They’re the best we have so we have to accept it until we can perfect Refbot.

More to do with the laws these days if you ask me. I thought it was refreshing to see a world cup where if a striker went shoulder to shoulder with a defender and lost, and consequently threw themselves to the ground in a crumpled heap, they were told to get up and get on with it, no free kick.

I thought that was FIFA's thing, that footy was going to get back a little bit of that physicality that we'd seen driven out of it a bit? 

According to Steve Evans referee admitted he got the penalty decision very wrong.

On 29/01/2023 at 18:04, sonyc said:

Referee’s seem to be so unsure of themselves, sensible decision making has walked out of the door.  

Yellow cards are handed out really quickly for midfield challenges when teams are starting attacks.  Penalties are given for tiny infringements when a player makes a genuine attempt to play the ball and just catches the attacker (anywhere else in the pitch they are rarely given), whilst defenders can full on grab attackers to prevent goals from set pieces safe in the knowledge they are never given, whilst a similiar offence by the attacking team will ensure a goal is not given. 
i have always been an advocate for VAR but I think I have finally changed my mind.  Keep the cameras, do only offsides when there is a clear, and dangerous challenges, then penalties are only given if they appeal, and the ref agrees, if on a retrospective review they dived or could have stayed on their feet (same refs decision), they get 5 match ban.  Then let the referees ref.

• Like 1