Sign in to follow this  
Satriales

Maddison to Newcastle

I've seen a few rumours suggesting Newcastle are making a bid for Maddison. Would we receive any sell on funds if he does make the move?

I read somewhere that we'll receive 20% of any profit on the sale.

That may have been idle speculation though.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They've spent £40m on Gordon, so god only knows what that makes Maddison worth.

£100 million hopefully!

35 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Only 18 months left on his deal so that will bring it down. You'd like to think it'd be north of £50 million though, need a second club to go in for him to drive it up. If he doesn't go this window he'll go for less in the summer.

• Like 1

It's been well documented - we get 15% of any profit Leicester make over £24 million. So if for example Maddison were to go for £70 million we would get £6.9 million (15% of £46 million). 

As much as I like the idea of cashing in on a forward sale, that forward sale being Newcastle taints the money somewhat. I suppose our forward sale clause if it exists didn’t know that the forward sale might be to a Saudi regime backed club, so it’s not a deal breaker, just a shame and feels like a bit if a compromise on principle. I completely understand anyone that doesn’t give a **** about it too though tbh, it just feels like the inevitability of the football industry. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's been well documented - we get 15% of any profit Leicester make over £24 million. So if for example Maddison were to go for £70 million we would get £6.9 million (15% of £46 million). 

Less Tax

15 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

As much as I like the idea of cashing in on a forward sale, that forward sale being Newcastle taints the money somewhat. 

We're an island nation with not much by way of natural resources. 

As such as we depend on continued foreign investment.

We could turn our nose up at Russian, Chinese and Middle Eastern investment into the UK if we wanted... but we wouldn't be a top tier economy for long without it.

That's the ugly truth.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, daly said:

Less Tax

Only pay tax on profits though, and I presume we'd be spending that £6.9m or using it to fill a black hole. Nobody can seriously expect us to make a profit this year.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Only pay tax on profits though, and I presume we'd be spending that £6.9m or using it to fill a black hole. Nobody can seriously expect us to make a profit this year.

Yeah, I'm sure after lasts financial years losses, there's plenty of tax losses remaining to mop up any CT due on this transfer, and i'm sure we are making plenty of losses elsewhere as well even if we don't re-invest in this window! 😉

Man City battling it out with the geordies now to help bump the price up 💷 😁👍

Perhaps, it seems to just keep rumbling on, is it genuine interest or agents / clubs trying to push a move?

On 29/01/2023 at 11:11, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Really depends whether there are other interested parties.

Leicester have to sell in the summer as Maddison is entering the final year of his deal.

So if Newcastle are the only serious firm offer then perhaps not as much as you think.

Hopefully end up being £60m or something, the sell on clause could help dig us out of a hole in the summer and help deliver the DM or Pukki replacement we need, or give Webber the funds to waste on another useless Greek or pay over the odds for an average Brazilian depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Really depends whether there are other interested parties.

Leicester have to sell in the summer as Maddison is entering the final year of his deal.

So if Newcastle are the only serious firm offer then perhaps not as much as you think.

Hopefully end up being £60m or something, the sell on clause could help dig us out of a hole in the summer and help deliver the DM or Pukki replacement we need, or give Webber the funds to waste on another useless Greek or pay over the odds for an average Brazilian depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty.

Useless Greeks and average Brazilians are all you're likely to get if our 15% of the sale profit is only marginally over £24 mill(as per Thirsty's post) 

3 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

Useless Greeks and average Brazilians are all you're likely to get if our 15% of the sale profit is only marginally over £24 mill(as per Thirsty's post) 

We could buy English players again, I know that may be an abstract idea but I mean... it worked before Webber.

£2.5m Burnley are believed to have paid for Josh Cullen, been a mainstay in their team.

And their Brazilian, who is better than our Brazilian, is said to have cost £1m.

Have a look at the price Brentford paid for loads of their squad. Raya £3m, Pinnock £3m, Noordgaard £2.8m, Jensen £3.5m, Dasilva £0, Henry £1.5m rising to £5m, Mbuemo £5.8m.

Just because we consistently fail to get value for money in the market doesn't mean it isn't possible.

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2023 at 10:52, Pyro Pete said:

I read somewhere that we'll receive 20% of any profit on the sale.

That may have been idle speculation though.

Will we accept money stained by Camels?

1 hour ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Disco would be worth an absolute fortune in today’s market.

Always loved how he only had one trick (the step over) … we as fans all knew it was coming … BUT IT STILL ALWAYS WORKED 🤣

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I got my four year old grandson to make sense of it for me.

A little below your head then. That logic is why they used to send small boys up chimneys 

40 minutes ago, essex canary said:

A little below your head then. That logic is why they used to send small boys up chimneys 

As usual  you make little sense.

Stick to your usual whining about being underappreciated.   

On 29/01/2023 at 12:21, TeemuVanBasten said:

We could turn our nose up at Russian, Chinese and Middle Eastern investment into the UK if we wanted... but we wouldn't be a top tier economy for long without it.

"Top tier economy".

How we laughed!