Google Bot

Old Fantasy Football League (Baddiel/Skinner)

Been seeing the ads for the Fantasy Football League show with Matt Lucas when watching matches, and it got me reminiscing about the Baddiel and Skinner original.  So starting watching a few of them after Forest vs Man Utd match last night.

...Second episode in and Delia showed up on S02E02 here if anyone wants to watch:

Quite interesting to see her discussing the club when she was just a fan, and her remarks about us getting it wrong about Robert Chase.. I can't even remember her being out-spoken on him at the time, anyone else? (Around 11 minute mark she talks)

Great show, anyway... And she was pretty sassy back then too! 🙂

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Remember it fondly. Of course it would probably be edited if aired now to remove  dodgy material. For example the Jason Lee running joke they had in the show. I was watching this documentary on repeats of old comedies and they do that.

But this can't be, everyone knows she was an Ipswich fan until she saw an opportunity to buy into Norwich as a get-rich-quick scheme!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

But this can't be, everyone knows she was an Ipswich fan until she saw an opportunity to buy into Norwich as a get-rich-quick scheme!

Amazing to hear how many games she'd get to back then, too.  So far from being the overnight fan i've seen some people paint her, for sure.

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Always remember that one. Classic👍🤣

I don't care what anyone says, this show was brilliant.

Does anyone remember the Saints and Greavsie mini-series they did that replaced "Phoenix from the Flames" for a few weeks, and Mike Walker starred in it? It was after he'd been sacked by Everton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/01/2023 at 17:46, canarydan23 said:

Leeds fan! She was only an Binner for a day in 1978.

I loved the original FFL, brilliantly put together and real footy show, alongside the original Soccer AM Tim & Helen were the best shows around.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

On 26/01/2023 at 17:41, KiwiScot said:

Remember it fondly. Of course it would probably be edited if aired now to remove  dodgy material. For example the Jason Lee running joke they had in the show. I was watching this documentary on repeats of old comedies and they do that.

I saw a programme recently that David Baddiel did for the bbc I think on anti semitism if memory serves, & he brought up this sketch & how ashamed he was of it now despite thinking it was funny at the time. He met Jason Lee to apologise for it.

The original was brilliant. Statto is a legend, he was/still is my hero. 2 suitcases 1 with a few clothes & his passport the other with £300k cash & just flew round the world watching & punting on the best sporting events in the world 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hector Brockelbank said:

I saw a programme recently that David Baddiel did for the bbc I think on anti semitism if memory serves, & he brought up this sketch & how ashamed he was of it now despite thinking it was funny at the time. He met Jason Lee to apologise for it.

That was after years and years of Jason Lee asking for an apology and being met with silence.

• Like 3

On 26/01/2023 at 16:55, Google Bot said:

Been seeing the ads for the Fantasy Football League show with Matt Lucas when watching matches, and it got me reminiscing about the Baddiel and Skinner original.  So starting watching a few of them after Forest vs Man Utd match last night.

...Second episode in and Delia showed up on S02E02 here if anyone wants to watch:

Quite interesting to see her discussing the club when she was just a fan, and her remarks about us getting it wrong about Robert Chase.. I can't even remember her being out-spoken on him at the time, anyone else? (Around 11 minute mark she talks)

Great show, anyway... And she was pretty sassy back then too! 🙂

Thanks so much! Saturday morning, about to get out of bed then started watching. Just finished and still in bed, brilliant 🤩 

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That was after years and years of Jason Lee asking for an apology and being met with silence.

Shame to hear that. Wasn’t the joke though because Jason Lee just wasn’t a very good finisher? I remember them showing clips of his bad shots. 

23 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Shame to hear that. Wasn’t the joke though because Jason Lee just wasn’t a very good finisher? I remember them showing clips of his bad shots. 

Think the blackface didn't help.

And had years of opposition fans singing "he's got a pineapple on his head".

None of this sounds sincere to me, sounds condescending, the bit where they said that they took the p*ss out of him because he was an "incredible player" was cringe. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Probably didn't help, but then they'd look for poor play to be funny and so happened they turned him into a running joke and to this day if you say Jason Lee I think pineapple on his head.

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

None of this sounds sincere to me, sounds condescending, the bit where they said that they took the p*ss out of him because he was an "incredible player" was cringe. 

Jason Lee got the hump because he just wasn't very good. In fact, he was sh*te, and it was nothing to do with this programme. But it was an easy way to point the blame at someone for his shocking ability at the top level. 

The whole premise of the show was to take the p*ss - hundreds of players had that same treatment as Jason Lee, but I don't recall anyone else being so bitter about it, in fact some of them used to go on the show itself.

54 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Jason Lee got the hump because he just wasn't very good. In fact, he was sh*te, and it was nothing to do with this programme. But it was an easy way to point the blame at someone for his shocking ability at the top level. 

The whole premise of the show was to take the p*ss - hundreds of players had that same treatment as Jason Lee, but I don't recall anyone else being so bitter about it, in fact some of them used to go on the show itself.

You say "shocking ability" but he was essentially a Cameron Jerome, and don't think you'd be as forgiving if some TV presenters did this to Cameron Jerome whilst he was at Norwich.

That you would defend blackface says all I need to know about you so you can have the final word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Ok , he was not the greatest, but shoite? If you saw a highlight  reel of Erling Haalands  misses , stumbles  and fackups  , hed look pretty shoite too. 

The first rule of taking the Pi55 is the ability of the victim to handle it, if they cant then its bullying, not sport.

Id be all up for max level pi55taking, but that's just me. Jason Lee probably isnt, that's the difference. Im kind of amazed it needs explaining really. 🤦‍♀️

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok , he was not the greatest, but shoite? If you saw a highlight  reel of Erling Haalands  misses , stumbles  and fackups  , hed look pretty shoite too. 

The first rule of taking the Pi55 is the ability of the victim to handle it, if they cant then its bullying, not sport.

Id be all up for max level pi55taking, but that's just me. Jason Lee probably isnt, that's the difference. Im kind of amazed it needs explaining really. 🤦‍♀️

I'm kind of amazed you've compared Erling Haaland and Jason Lee in your argument 😂 

57 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

What a wonderful programme and used to look forward to it every week.

Brilliant 👏 stuff. Having been out of the UK 🇬🇧 a long time now. DO they make anything similar or are we so politically correct and a bunch of snowflakes  now.

That was a great watch. And for the purists   deary me even Delia I'm sure liked it. Delia was very nice on the eye when I was a younger lad. 💥🤫😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

I'm kind of amazed you've compared Erling Haaland and Jason Lee in your argument 😂 

I didn't compare them . Comprehension not your strong point.? 

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure how I feel about this.

Still remember kids spooning it on the play ground and chanting "Jason Lee" or "he's got a pineapple on his head" 

It all seemed very funny at that time, part of me things it was maybe the start of what would now be considered "bants" players get worse thrown at them on twitter etc today.

I'm not saying the ribbing is ok, just feel it's been blown out of proportion compared to other things.

I know lee suffered form mental health problems and he should have maybe got the support at the time and after.

It's up to the player to destroy their career not a TV show, feel he used it as an excuse to hide other things he should have dealt with.

The black facing etc was of a time, I had black friends who thought the whole thing was hilarious so yeh.

That said black facing is certainly not ok.

Of the time perhaps?

That said slavery was of the time and certainly not ok so I get the issue with saying "of the time"

Maybe showing my age but it is indicative of the snow flake generation and culture.

And I honestly don't like the term snow flake so for me to use it. Yeah I recognise it's a tough one all over.

Fantasy football was such a good show though, phoenix from the flames etc. Never been a football show like it and it's sorely missed.

But the whole Jason Lee debate kills any chance of the conversation doesn't it.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

56 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Never been a football show like it and it's sorely missed.

Soccer AM was good in the early days, utter sh*te now though.

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yeh totally lost it unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The back and white minstrel show   banned that WTF. Now it's black again  browns not good anymore. Get on with life everybody suffers mental health issues. Real people can really suffer, it s now got out of hand and it's all down to in the main Social media.  SOCIAL MY A$$.

OH I forgot removing the golliwog from the jam

Get a grip . It's ott.

Edited by Mengo