Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Ran - The - Show

Still not overly impressed with him, for what we paid.
That being said it can be difficult to get into the pace of Championship, Vrancic was a prime example of that and came out to say it.
Doesn't seem to be the South American flair type player that I thought we were going for (emi replacement) he seems to sit futher back and unlock with clever passes much like Vrancic did which is no bad thing.
I think he's OK now, but still growing with each game so excited to see how he turns out when completely up to speed. 

He's definitely improving as he gets to grips with the championship, language, cold weather etc. Hoping he will improve further under Wagner.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy G said:

That being said it can be difficult to get into the pace of Championship, Vrancic was a prime example of that and came out to say it.
Doesn't seem to be the South American flair type player that I thought we were going for (emi replacement) he seems to sit futher back and unlock with clever passes much like Vrancic did which is no bad thing.
I think he's OK now, but still growing with each game so excited to see how he turns out when completely up to speed. 

I think the hope was that Nunez would be that type of player. He looked the part for the first 10 games or so, but dropped off after that. Hopefully he'll reach those higher levels again under Wagner. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Comments that were made when we signed suggested that he wasn’t a replacement for Emi.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sara v Coventry. 

Thanks, overall a great performance I thought.  He is good at keeping it simple when he needs to, but also there were some lovely through balls there, for the 3rd goal, the 2nd half chance when we hit the post (I forgot that one) and the one that put Teemu through 1v1.  As I mentioned on another thread, I have really high hopes for him now.

Also it's nice to have consistently good delivery for corners.

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

He’s a very clever player, he was never brought in for flair. Although on a few occasions he has happily pulled a skill out of the bag and dropped an opponent to his knees doing it.

He's always looked a class act to me. He played one sublime pass in one of his very first games (in the league cup, I think), then bombed on to get in the box (in the end someone else scored from the resultant cross). As others have said, it's taken him time to get up to speed, and he sometimes looked a bit lost under Smith. But who didn't?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks, overall a great performance I thought.  He is good at keeping it simple when he needs to, but also there were some lovely through balls there, for the 3rd goal, the 2nd half chance when we hit the post (I forgot that one) and the one that put Teemu through 1v1.  As I mentioned on another thread, I have really high hopes for him now.

Also it's nice to have consistently good delivery for corners.

He's a top player who was being held back by the previous regime. With Wagner he will be back to his best like he was in Brazil 🇧🇷 with Sao Paulo ( who still miss him).

I'm really pleased the way things are developing for him. 

Multi-Functional Attacking Conduit.

Check out latest heat maps.👍👏💯👊💥

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The contributions of Sara and Pukki to Sargent's goal were a cut above this league.

Yes that was top class participation and delightful movement / awareness of your team mates. As you say different  league/ class.

26 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

He's always looked a class act to me. He played one sublime pass in one of his very first games (in the league cup, I think), then bombed on to get in the box (in the end someone else scored from the resultant cross). As others have said, it's taken him time to get up to speed, and he sometimes looked a bit lost under Smith. But who didn't?

Yes I often felt during games under Smith it looked like our players had never been on the pitch (or on the training ground) together before.  Whereas on Saturday (and at Preston) they suddenly were fitting together like clockwork.  The back heel in the build up to the 2nd goal was lovely to see.

It's weird TBH to see this change so quickly, I was hoping for a gradual improvement at best.

Obv Burnley will be a much bigger test, but also the outcome of that game doesn't matter, because we're capable of getting into the playoffs from here and we're not going to win all the games for the rest of the season.

19 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes I often felt during games under Smith it looked like our players had never been on the pitch (or on the training ground) together before.  Whereas on Saturday (and at Preston) they suddenly were fitting together like clockwork.  The back heel in the build up to the 2nd goal was lovely to see.

It's weird TBH to see this change so quickly, I was hoping for a gradual improvement at best.

Obv Burnley will be a much bigger test, but also the outcome of that game doesn't matter, because we're capable of getting into the playoffs from here and we're not going to win all the games for the rest of the season.

I'm looking forward especially to this game as it will be a proper benchmark. I went to the away game and Burnley just controlled the whole match. It wasn't that we were bad but just slower, less committed somehow. And I saw then what I felt was a promotion team - Burnley. Their left winger Zaroury was just the kind of creative player who will make a difference. He reminded me of our Buendia.

Also, during a season you just know a team will go on to win when you get comebacks and such late winners. Burnley have had that in spades (Sheff Utd have dominated games but don't have this 'dynamic').

Interestingly I read an xG website that was predicting a 1-1 (but a very possible 2-1 win) ... but best not get into xG! 

I couldn't understand recently how our play went from decent and having potential (I saw the Hull away game and came away disappointed but not too dismayed - most of the parts seemed there). But...just what happened in those last two months I think was the players simply experiencing a loss in confidence.  Something an existing coach might have found difficult to change. That's been the difference with Wagner. His interest, sheer zest and force of personality seems to have influenced the players. Like they've been asleep and are now plugged in! In fact, the newly charged team have just flown with scintillating play at the start of games! Like a force that's been stored and is now released. It won't always be 4 goal games of course.

I'm expecting us to be very competitive this time. I'm 100% sure they will give everything they can at least. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

Worth appreciating that highlights reel is just one game. He needs to work on his shooting but the rest of his game is developing so well.

I was also impressed by Nunez when he came on. We have the makings of a really good midfield, and it's been a while since we've been able to say that|

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I'm looking forward especially to this game as it will be a proper benchmark. I went to the away game and Burnley just controlled the whole match. It wasn't that we were bad but just slower, less committed somehow. And I saw then what I felt was a promotion team - Burnley. Their left winger Zaroury was just the kind of creative player who will make a difference. He reminded me of our Buendia.

Also, during a season you just know a team will go on to win when you get comebacks and such late winners. Burnley have had that in spades (Sheff Utd have dominated games but don't have this 'dynamic').

Interestingly I read an xG website that was predicting a 1-1 (but a very possible 2-1 win) ... but best not get into xG! 

I couldn't understand recently how our play went from decent and having potential (I saw the Hull away game and came away disappointed but not too dismayed - most of the parts seemed there). But...just what happened in those last two months I think was the players simply experiencing a loss in confidence.  Something an existing coach might have found difficult to change. That's been the difference with Wagner. His interest, sheer zest and force of personality seems to have influenced the players. Like they've been asleep and are now plugged in! In fact, the newly charged team have just flown with scintillating play at the start of games! Like a force that's been stored and is now released. It won't always be 4 goal games of course.

I'm expecting us to be very competitive this time. I'm 100% sure they will give everything they can at least. 

Yes, I'm looking forward to watching the Burnley game on TV !

I agree completely about the change in the players.  What's particularly weird is that suddenly we're playing balls for Pukki to run onto, the sort of ball that he always thrives on, and that we weren't playing earlier in the season, which leaves me wondering why we weren't?

47 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes, I'm looking forward to watching the Burnley game on TV !

I agree completely about the change in the players.  What's particularly weird is that suddenly we're playing balls for Pukki to run onto, the sort of ball that he always thrives on, and that we weren't playing earlier in the season, which leaves me wondering why we weren't?

Smith? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clearly all the players seem to understand what their role is on the pitch for any given game which is a huge improvement on what we saw under Dean Smith.

Every player has looked better under Wagner with the possible exception of Ben Gibson who I suspect is suffering from some sort of deep rooted confidence crisis which he may or may not come through. Is Eileen Drewery still alive? And Giannoulis, who we may need to write off as just too inconsistent to persevere with if he doesn't improve before the end of the season.

However, I would certainly hope there's more to come from Sara and I'm not sure the highlights show Sara running the show at all? Not exactly a masterclass is it. Shows how dreadful we were under Dean Smith for this to become the benchmark! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Andy G said:

Nunez is that if anything. And the best Brazilian teams have always had a non-flair midfielder for balance.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Clearly all the players seem to understand what their role is on the pitch for any given game which is a huge improvement on what we saw under Dean Smith.

Every player has looked better under Wagner with the possible exception of Ben Gibson who I suspect is suffering from some sort of deep rooted confidence crisis which he may or may not come through. Is Eileen Drewery still alive? And Giannoulis, who we may need to write off as just too inconsistent to persevere with if he doesn't improve before the end of the season.

However, I would certainly hope there's more to come from Sara and I'm not sure the highlights show Sara running the show at all? Not exactly a masterclass is it. Shows how dreadful we were under Dean Smith for this to become the benchmark! 

If you didn't watch the Coventry game on Sky, I really recommend you watch it, it's available for free on Canaries TV.  It's over a week until we play Burnley and well worth a watch.  I was at the game on Saturday and I've re-watched the first half on Canaries TV and I plan to re-watch the 2nd half over the weekend.

My view is that Sara very much did run the show, I think if the highlights gave you a different feeling, then I'd say watch the match and see what you think then.

• Like 2

Coventry had only lost 3 matches at home prior to last weekend. The majority of their fans thought we were very good and near the very best they’ve faced all season. 

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd like to think Gibson deserves an opportunity to not look better, considering he's been injured and not even played under Wagner.

• Haha 1