cambridgeshire canary

Rowe- UK's next top bodybuilder?

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

The joyous answer to that is I don't post on here to be popular.

Have a nice evening.

Yet you just had a dig at me for being unpopular. Typical of your hypocrisy. Frankly if you're going to make claims like, "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility", then you should expect people to call you out for not having the slightest evidence for what you say.

48 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Incidentally, what was/is Rowe’s actual injury that’s kept him out this far?

Dropped a Dumbell Weight on his Foot

Don’t people argue on here for the tiniest of reasons. Splitting hairs doesn’t even come close. It’s all a little cringey in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yet you just had a dig at me for being unpopular. Typical of your hypocrisy. Frankly if you're going to make claims like, "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility", then you should expect people to call you out for not having the slightest evidence for what you say.

Have you actually understood the phrase "too much muscle means less flexibility"?  It doesn't say  "A lot of muscle means less flexibility" but "too much".  There is a quite a distinction to be made there. Rowe plainly has been building a lot of muscle, but as you imtimated before, the NCFC staff will have been monitoring him, so there shouldn't be a problem, but left unchecked, weight training can be a problem.

Also, I'm not impressed when people show off muscles, it's a kind of vanity that is unecessary imo. Too much muscle (in other words over building muscle without the requisite training to go with it) can be an issue.

Goodness, it's hard discussing things with some people......

Edited by lake district canary

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Have you actually understood the phrase "too much muscle means less flexibility"?  It doesn't say  "A lot of muscle means less flexibility" but "too much".  There is a quite a distinction to be made there. Rowe plainly has been building a lot of muscle, but as you imtimated before, the NCFC staff will have been monitoring him, so there shouldn't be a problem, but left unchecked, weight training can be a problem.

Also, I'm not impressed when people show off muscles, it's a kind of vanity that is unecessary imo. Too much muscle (in other words over building muscle without the requisite training to go with it) can be an issue.

Goodness, it's hard discussing things with some people......

This was your complete comment, "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility". Interesting that (above) you left out the "Not impressed" part of your comment, which makes it very clear that you originally meant your comment to be taken as a criticism for the reason you cited. So do stop this rather pathetic attempt to row back just because several people have pointed out that what you said is unfounded. If, as you claim, you are so open to informed discussion, why not just accept your original comment was misinformed.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

This was your complete comment, "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility". Interesting that (above) you left out the "Not impressed" part of your comment, which makes it very clear that you originally meant your comment to be taken as a criticism for the reason you cited. So do stop this rather pathetic attempt to row back just because several people have pointed out that what you said is unfounded. If, as you claim, you are so open to informed discussion, why not just accept your original comment was misinformed.

I see you don't get it yet.  I'm not impressed. Showing muscles off is a vanity project - and as I've explained several times, too much muscle is not good for a footballer.  Or do I have to qualify it again for your benefit......lots of muscle is ok, but too much isn't. Life is a balance, even for footballers - you can have too much of a good thing.

People tell me my posts are too long, so I try and shorten them these days, but it seems that doesn't work when someone is  determined to find fault somehow.

My original statement is actually succinct and to the point. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

as I've explained several times, too much muscle is not good for a footballer

You've explained precisely nothing of the sort. You've merely re-stated your uniformed (and hence worthless) opinion several times. That's fine, but don't pretend for one moment that you possess the knowledge of someone who is actually medically qualified. I think I'll keep my trust in the NCFC coaching and medical staff to know what to advise our players.

21 minutes ago, horsefly said:

You've explained precisely nothing of the sort. You've merely re-stated your uniformed (and hence worthless) opinion several times. That's fine, but don't pretend for one moment that you possess the knowledge of someone who is actually medically qualified. I think I'll keep my trust in the NCFC coaching and medical staff to know what to advise our players.

I explained what I wrote, which you are wilfully not choosing to accept. And I don't pretend I know anything - other than if you take anything too far it can be detrimental.  It may be stating the bl**ding obvious, but it still a valid point, not that your ego will ever accept that......

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I explained what I wrote, which you are wilfully not choosing to accept. And I don't pretend I know anything - other than if you take anything too far it can be detrimental.  It may be stating the bl**ding obvious, but it still a valid point, not that your ego will ever accept that......

Nope! Your post was very clear, you said in response to the picture of Rowe: ""Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility". You provided no medical or physiological explanation for that claim.  The idea that it offers some kind of "explanation" to add the further banal comment "if you take anything too far it can be detrimental",  is truly laughable.

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

He's back on the grass! And not looking too beefy!

Screenshot_20230126_132944_Instagram.jpg

Excellent news. He might give Onel a run for his money when back to full fitness.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Nope! Your post was very clear, you said in response to the picture of Rowe: ""Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility". You provided no medical or physiological explanation for that claim.  The idea that it offers some kind of "explanation" to add the further banal comment "if you take anything too far it can be detrimental",  is truly laughable.

I really don't know what your problem is. I made a statement and when questioned on it by others I answered in the best way I could. That  you don't want to accept those responses is up to you.

Why would you think I wasn't impressed by the photos of someone showing off their muscles? Because showing off muscles does not impress me! It's not that hard to understand  is it? And yes, too much muscle building is not good for a footballer. There is a limit as to what strength is optimal for upper body strength compared to other aspects of footballing fitness. 

I feel as if I'm going round in circles in trying to get through to you.  I'm clearly wasting my time. The most I can be accused  of is expressing an opinion about people showing off and then stating the bl**ding obvious that too much is bad for flexibility - which it is, if it is overdone at the expense of other training.  I never said it wasn't good to build muscle and body build - for goodness sake, I do some body building at home, at a very low level.  It's great for a footballer to be as strong as possible and creditable that Rowe has been working so hard, but as with all things there is a limit at which point overdoing something becomes detrimental. I never said Rowe was at that point. I never said he wasn't being well monitored by the club.

Now as I'm clearly wasting my time with you I'll leave it there and let you have the last word. 

Oh and I've just seen the new photo, which is much more likeable than the one in the op. 

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I really don't know what your problem is. I made a statement and when questioned on it by others I answered in the best way I could. That  you don't want to accept those responses is up to you.

Why would you think I wasn't impressed by the photos of someone showing off their muscles? Because showing off muscles does not impress me! It's not that hard to understand  is it? And yes, too much muscle building is not good for a footballer. There is a limit as to what strength is optimal for upper body strength compared to other aspects of footballing fitness. 

I feel as if I'm going round in circles in trying to get through to you.  I'm clearly wasting my time. The most I can be accused  of is expressing an opinion about people showing off and then stating the bl**ding obvious that too much is bad for flexibility - which it is, if it is overdone at the expense of other training.  I never said it wasn't good to build muscle and body build - for goodness sake, I do some body building at home, at a very low level.  It's great for a footballer to be as strong as possible and creditable that Rowe has been working so hard, but as with all things there is a limit at which point overdoing something becomes detrimental. I never said Rowe was at that point. I never said he wasn't being well monitored by the club.

Now as I'm clearly wasting my time with you I'll leave it there and let you have the last word. 

Oh and I've just seen the new photo, which is much more likeable than the one in the op. 

What a pile of boring self justification.

Your complete comment was, "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility" clearly implying that this was the case regarding the picture of Rowe. You said nothing else in qualification in that post whatsoever. It was only once challenged that you decided to dissemble about not liking "vanity" etc.

All you had to do was admit you made a comment you couldn't justify. For someone who professes his presence on the site to be a promoter of reason and open-minded discussion I would have thought you would have enjoyed the opportunity to correct yourself.

21 minutes ago, horsefly said:

What a pile of boring self justification.

Your complete comment was, "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility" clearly implying that this was the case regarding the picture of Rowe. You said nothing else in qualification in that post whatsoever. It was only once challenged that you decided to dissemble about not liking "vanity" etc.

All you had to do was admit you made a comment you couldn't justify. For someone who professes his presence on the site to be a promoter of reason and open-minded discussion I would have thought you would have enjoyed the opportunity to correct yourself.

I'm at a loss to know why you can't accept my reasoning. I'll leave you to it.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Because showing off muscles does not impress me!

What if he's got a nice car...? 

spacer.png

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm at a loss to know why you can't accept my reasoning. I'll leave you to it.

You've said "I'll leave it to you" about 3 times now. You never keep your word do you!

I can't accept your reasoning because you are lying about your original comment. And here's why.  A very young player who has suffered a serious long term injury posts a picture that shows he has not sulked or skived off during that period, but has worked extraordinarily hard to bulk up his body in the pursuit of maximum fitness and readiness for when his recovery from injury permits him to play again. It is often a criticism (or simple observation) that young players can be too lightweight to compete at league level, and he has clearly taken that seriously. His regime has obviously been supervised by the coaching staff and medical team at NCFC because that is the case for every player in the squad. Yet instead of praising his efforts your immediate response was to criticise him by posting "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility". You neither qualified that criticism, nor explained what your medical credentials are for making such an unsubstantiated claim. Rowe is very clearly excited about his return to the pitch and all you can muster is some casual sour comment in criticism. The young man deserves support, encouragement, and praise for his exemplary attitude and work, so yes I get very irritated when a so-called fan inexplicably just wants to take a dig at him.

Edited by horsefly

35 minutes ago, horsefly said:

You've said "I'll leave it to you" about 3 times now. You never keep your word do you!

I can't accept your reasoning because you are lying about your original comment. And here's why.  A very young player who has suffered a serious long term injury posts a picture that shows he has not sulked or skived off during that period, but has worked extraordinarily hard to bulk up his body in the pursuit of maximum fitness and readiness for when his recovery from injury permits him to play again. It is often a criticism (or simple observation) that young players can be too lightweight to compete at league level, and he has clearly taken that seriously. His regime has obviously been supervised by the coaching staff and medical team at NCFC because that is the case for every player in the squad. Yet instead of praising his efforts your immediate response was to criticise him by posting "Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility". You neither qualified that criticism, nor explained what your medical credentials are for making such an unsubstantiated claim. Rowe is very clearly excited about his return to the pitch and all you can muster is some casual sour comment in criticism. The young man deserves support, encouragement, and praise for his exemplary attitude and work, so yes I get very irritated when a so-called fan inexplicably just wants to take a dig at him.

Piffle. The photo was designed to impress was it not? As a rule I'm not impressed by people showing off and said so when questioned about it. Simples, except for you apparently.

The second part was to do with overdoing the weight training, which from the photo looked as if he might have been doing. As it happens I can understand the pose with holding the arms so the muscles looked bigger than they are made it look a bit deceptive - but then again that is part of the showing off. 

The photo later in the thread is much more like it, a healthy well built and strong looking player, not someone posing as if they were Mr Universe.

You can take my comment as a dig at the player if you want, but  it was more about the photo and the showing off muscles and the dangers of overdoing it.

22 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Have you looked at the post where I acknowledged someone's point of view different to my own? Interesting they made their point without getting personal about it.....quite a civilised way to discuss things on a discussion forum. Perhaps you could try it sometime? 

Discussing things is how we all learn.....much better than sitting on high, dictating what people can or can't say, or worse, just ridiculing someone for daring to express something different to the party line.

There is a discussion to be had about the benefits/pitfalls of weight training - if we are allowed to discuss it without ridicule from those who think they know it all. 

I think Arnold Schwarzenegger's views on this are probably relevant here.

• Haha 1

There’s no need for any modern day footballer to overly build themselves up in the gym, especially young players.

Todays game is played on super fast surfaces, with lightweight boots, balls and kit.

Muscles need to be conditioned around coordination, quick reflex together with suppleness.

When football was a full contact sport and the pitches were heavy mud baths, the elite players were often ‘ skin and bone’, GB as a prime example.

Several promising  young players have been ruined by the over use of weights and  over training in general, resulting in muscle compartment syndrome. 

Our children, who compete at International level in another sport, do attend a gym, but the exercises are very carefully designed for their age and most certainly not to gain any bulk. 

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Piffle. The photo was designed to impress was it not? As a rule I'm not impressed by people showing off and said so when questioned about it. Simples, except for you apparently.

The second part was to do with overdoing the weight training, which from the photo looked as if he might have been doing. As it happens I can understand the pose with holding the arms so the muscles looked bigger than they are made it look a bit deceptive - but then again that is part of the showing off. 

The photo later in the thread is much more like it, a healthy well built and strong looking player, not someone posing as if they were Mr Universe.

You can take my comment as a dig at the player if you want, but  it was more about the photo and the showing off muscles and the dangers of overdoing it.

That's 4 times. Same sad attempt to dissemble from your original nasty uniformed comment. 

8 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He's back on the grass! And not looking too beefy!

Screenshot_20230126_132944_Instagram.jpg

What the hell have they allowed him to do?!  He can't even stand up straight now - look at him leaning to the side just walking through doorways.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US!!!! 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

What the hell have they allowed him to do?!  He can't even stand up straight now - look at him leaning to the side just walking through doorways.

Never mind all that - how much do those shoes cost??

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Never mind all that - how much do those shoes cost??

Two pairs of boots.. Sure, like he's got 4 bloody feet...... is there no end? 

I'm with Lakey on this... He's impressing no-one with this showmanship, Let's see the inflexible fool get a sticker off his back if he's really "All that"...

spacer.png

So angry i've given myself a headache now, gonna grab some pork scratchings and a beer.  I'll be back to give more fitness advice later.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I was a bit bleary eyed when i first looked at that photo....I thought he'd taken up a milk round to keep active. 😇

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Two pairs of boots.. Sure, like he's got 4 bloody feet...... is there no end? 

I'm with Lakey on this... He's impressing no-one with this showmanship, Let's see the inflexible fool get a sticker off his back if he's really "All that"...

spacer.png

So angry i've given myself a headache now, gonna grab some pork scratchings and a beer.  I'll be back to give more fitness advice later.

Funny as that is, it does show what I'm talking about.  Horsefly can get all indignant about my original comment, but over building of muscle in an unchecked way can lead to that kind of ridiculous muscle bound condition where movement is so restricted.